HELP WITH PRE-OP DIET

dana's_sister
on 3/17/06 10:44 am - Leesburg, FL
Hey guys, I am scheduled for surgery on Weds. 3/22 and I have SUPPOSED to be on this liquid diet for the past two weeks. I confess, I have not been doing well. I am supposed to be drinking two shakes in place of two meals. I have only been replacing one meal per day with a shake. The other two meals have been high in protein. I have alos cheated a couple of times and ate more carbs than I should. I have even had cookies! Am I a failure already? Any advice or support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Dena T
Kylie S
on 3/17/06 12:02 pm - Melba, Australia
Hi Dena T, I don't think you are a failure, you are human. I think sometimes you have to remember why you are on this special pre-op diet, like for me it was to shrink my liver to make is a much easier op and recovery, and assess the importance for you. They don't put you on these diets for any ole reason. I think you need to at least try to give the two shakes a day thing a go till the op. But also don't beat yourself around too much, not for all, but for some of us if we had great will power we probably wouldn't need this surgery. Take each day at a time and if you aren't coping with the shakes at least try to eat healthy foods. Good luck with it. Take Care Kylie
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/17/06 12:05 pm - My Town, NH
Hi Dena. You are NOT a failure! It's so hard to follow strict guidelines before surgery. They are, however, designed to help shrink your liver so that the surgeon can manuever easily. Perhaps if you tell yourself this as you try to replace that second meal with a shake, it will be easier. You still have five days to get your body ready for this major surgery! You can do it, I know you can! Hugs, Stephanie
cathelewis
on 3/18/06 12:58 pm
Hi Dena, I just started on the liquid diet on Friday. You're not a failure...this is HARD. On top of it all, I am at a conference all weekend, and I have to socialize with my peers while they eat yummy pizza, lasagna, desserts and I'm sitting there with my protein drink. I can only have liquids for all meals, and I have found that I can smell chocolate cake from several yards away. I haven't cheated on the diet yet, nor have I killed or maimed anyone, but it's only been two days. I keep telling myself that I'm doing this for me, and for the health of my liver during surgery. When I look at this liquid diet as self-nurturing rather than deprivation, the cravings go away. But like I said, it's only been 2 days so I hope this strategy keeps working! I find that if I drink a lot of water, I don't get hungry but my stomach gurgles a lot. Best of luck to you, and hang in there. You can do it! Cathe
B.P.
on 3/19/06 6:44 am - Saint Paul, MN
Hey There, My surgery is 3/23 and I too have been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks and have not done as good as expected. I have done mostly liquids, but have cheated some too. I am trying though! I am going to do really well the next 3 days!! Good luck and you are not alone!
Sandra S.
on 3/19/06 8:20 am - Mountain Home, ID
I hear you!! Here's my dilemma; my nutritionist wanted me on this diet 2 weeks before the surgery to get me disciplined for after surgery and to also try and shrink my liver. BUT, when I asked my surgeon if there were any special diet he needed me on he said, "NOPE". Well, NO ONE had to tell me twice! Although I have lost 7 lbs just being very conscious of what I'm eating, I'm going to enjoy a few meals that I KNOW I won't be having for a long time after surgery!! I am trying, by having only one shake a day and healthy meals though. No snacking on junk, no soda pop, and for the most part, only sugar free snacks like jello and pudding. Give it your best try though, and know you're not alone!! Sandra Sessions
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views