Post Op Essentials

Diminishing Dawn
on 3/15/06 10:05 pm - Windsor, Canada
I was wondering if the experts out there can tell me what items would be extremely helpful or essential post-op. (Things I'd need to buy to get ready for surgery). Any suggestions are appreciated, Thanks in Advance, Stef
rowEn
on 3/15/06 10:49 pm - Huntsville, AL
I couldn't stand the chicken or beef broth after surgery, but I don't know if that's because I had to drink those when I was feeling so awful on bowel prep day After surgery I was allowed to have (and wanted): - pureed chicken soup. My husband was a doll and pureed it all for me then put it in small 2oz portions for me. Easy to nuke (20 seconds or so) - pureed corn chowder. Any kind of "creamed" soup that you think you'll like would work, as long as you have a blender to mix it all up. We got a magic bullet knock-off blender at costco and I love it. All this is also assuming your doctor doesn't have you on clear liquids for the first week. Mine let me have full liquids, so the above was appropriate for me. For protein shakes, I actually make up an 8oz portion of CIB (sugar free) and then add a scoop of vanilla protein powder mix (25 more gr of protein!). It is a little thicker, and since I can't stand either on their own alone, together they are pretty good and have a nice strong vanilla taste. I'm going to hit GNC later today and find some of the Isopure liquid protein drinks that look like clear juices. They are a little spendy, but one bottle is what I need in protein per day right now. Plus I can also count it as part of my liquids Good luck!!! Michelle
Melissa M.
on 3/29/06 8:27 pm - Alpena, MI
My doctor also has his patients now starting on full liquids as soon as you get home. I think it helps with the choices you have. My question to you is, were you allowed to have PUREED foods? You mentioned pureed chowder so I am curious. I am kinda scared to try anything thicker than milk at this point...lol
bettyc
on 3/16/06 5:26 am - Covington, LA
Hi Stefani No expect here but had surgery Monday and am doing great. If I could recommend one thing it would be Gas-X. It is the bomb!!
xJanellex
on 3/16/06 3:00 pm - santa monica, CA
Stock up on SF popsicles. They count as 2 ounces of liquids each. I like the Life Savers ones. I also recommend Crystal Light since a lot of people dont like plain water. I have found that I prefer plain water now and SF juices, Kool Aid, and C.L. makes me thirstier. The SF Kool Aid is good though! Buy some good pillows and good books. I like the book Before and After by Susan Maria Leach. The book tells her WLS story and also has recipes for all the diet stages. Most surgeons dont let people eat creamed soups right after surgery so if you dont like the broth try some of the Ramen noodle broth packets. I absolutely hated the broth either bouillon or in a can. Also start getting samples of different protein drinks...dont try them til after surgery since your taste might change after surgery. I also brought some good magazines to read at the hospital and when I came home. Buy yourself some nice slippers. Good luck on your surgery! Janelle N. Santa Monica, CA Lap RNY 3/2/06
~ Stylz ~
on 3/17/06 1:40 pm - North of Boston, MA
since I've been home, all i've had is sf popsicles, water and gas x i have jello, chicken broth and tons of crystal light in the fridge but it doesnt appeal to me just yet. i have to say sf popsicles are the best!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views