Three Days Out--Feeling Hungry?!

thin2be
on 3/10/06 8:57 pm - Houston, TX
I had surgery Wednesday morning--everything went great! I was walking and feeling pretty good. However, I feel hungry, and I am able to drink swallows of water, not just sips. I have found myself in the pantry more than once, and I just take another walk. Is this normal for anyone else? Also, TMI, no bowel movement yet, but I am passing gas. Is this normal for you? Thanks!
bettyc
on 3/10/06 11:40 pm - Covington, LA
I hope all goes well. My surgery is Monday and I don't want to be hungry! Did your surgeon do a bowel prep? If so I would no expect a bm. Be strong and psoitive--bj
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/11/06 9:51 am - My Town, NH
Hiya. Thus far, I have not been hungry at all. I force myself to eat the required 1/4 cup of cream of wheat or strained soup and also to drink my protein as much as I can. I did, however, have some "head hunger" tonight when my husband and mother were enjoying dinner. I could almost taste the porkchop in my mouth! I think this type of hunger will be the most difficult for me over the next few months. Best of luck, Stephanie P.S. No BM for me either and TONS of gas!
thin2be
on 3/11/06 10:22 am - Houston, TX
Hi, Stephanie, Thanks for the reply. I have had a much easier time today--until my friend mentioned chips and salsa. My mouth was watering. However, the hunger is better. Probably head hunger? I took some pain medicine today, but I cleaned the bathroom and walked for a mile. I am feeling pretty good! I'll be watching your profile to see your success!
jennb40
on 3/11/06 9:46 pm - Nashua, NH
Hi Stephanie....I am excited to know you had surgery on the 8th and walked for a mile on the 11th....you must be "super woman"!!!! I just pray after having surgery on the 13th that I feel like walking a mile on the 16th! I could easily walk a mile before the 13th...so hopefully I can do that 3 days after surgery! The only problem is it is predicted to be COLD in New England next week - so I will hopefully be walking quickly! My 2 pugs will love it! Glad you are doing ok...and maybe when you start the protein that will help with the hunger...you may even be on protein by now - my doctor makes you wait 5 days before adding the protein. Good luck on the rest of your journey - I am right behind you!!!! Barbara
xJanellex
on 3/11/06 1:54 pm - santa monica, CA
I too have been suffering through some hunger. My take on it is it will get better when you enter the pureed stage. Many people say this is only "head hunger" but I disagree. I was actually physically hungry...I know the difference. I just think some people have absolutely no desire for food post op and others still have the hunger. It will get better.....I only wished there werent so many damn food commercials!!!! As for the BM, I had to have one before I could leave the hospital. They gave me a suppository that I'll not soon forget. It made me so sick!! After that I did have diarrhea and now I havent had a BM for maybe 2 days. If you're taking iron that also constipates you. Its good you are passing gas and from what I hear some people go 7 days without a BM. If you're worried, call your surgeon and he can suggest a laxative. Hugs, Janelle N. Santa Monica,CA Lap RNY 3/2/06
thin2be
on 3/12/06 10:17 am - Houston, TX
Thanks for your reply~ I agree, the food commercials are killing me! Hope you are still doing great!
CateBenavides
on 3/12/06 8:19 am - Wheeling, WV
I had Lap RNY Monday. Tuesday and Wednesday, I was on water only. By Thursday, I was on the clear liquid diet, and by Friday, I was physically hungry - and I could just tell I needed more nutrients. I tried 2 oz of skim milk and tolerated it with no problems, so I did 1/2 of a SF Carnation Instant Breakfast w/skim and felt better (and full) immediately. I was fairly active right out of surgery and I think because of that, the clear liquids just were not doing it for me. Also, I noticed that as post-op days increase, I can feel the sense of fullness in the pouch more. Cate 205/207/130
burgundylady2003
on 3/12/06 11:43 am - small town, Canada
I am a newbie and just have my initial appointment in 2 weeks. I am curious, about the comments about head hunger. I mean, it scares me, as I know, as I am sure many of us are the same, I do not eat because I am hungry, I eat for many other reasons. My question, or comment is this, what happens if you indulge your hunger? will you get throw up? will it create damage? just some thoughts, C
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views