question about pre-op diet

Lorraina M.
on 3/3/06 4:50 am - Ruther Glen, VA
My doctor does not require a special pre-op diet (although the nurse practitioner asked me to really watch my sugars and keep them as low as possible) nor does he require a bowel prep the day before. Just nothing after midnight. My question is this,,,,,,won't there still be matter in the intestines? What about when he cuts it for the rny couldn't matter there cause infection?
Darlene X
on 3/3/06 5:44 am - Maricopa, AZ
I don't have a pre-op diet either, but I do have to do liquids the day before surgery, and the bowel prep. I have seen people post on the main message board that they didn't need a bowel prep either. I don't know how it works, but I guess it's common with some surgeons. If you have a competant surgeon who knows what he is doing, then I wouldnt worry about it. They know what they are doing Darlene
Heather_O
on 3/3/06 7:35 am - WI
I dont have to do the bowel prep either but the day before surgery I can have a normal breakfast then liquids (soup, jello) for the rest of the day until midnight. So its not unusual not to have the liquid diet or bowel prep but I would suggest not eating anything to thick the day before. GOOD LUCK Heather
aschec2
on 3/3/06 1:04 pm - Northridge, CA
My doctor does not require a pre-opt diet. I need to have breakfast the day before my surgey and then clear liquids the rest of the day till midnight . Nothing the day of surgey my surgey is a 10am on March 14. Then after surgey two weeks of protein and clear liquids
dhaus21330
on 3/4/06 12:22 am - Medina, NY
Lorraina, Roux-n-y only cuts the small intestine. If you drink only water in the evening before surgery and NPO after midnight you will clear the stomach and small intestine. Bowel prep not really an issue, but if you are prone to constipation increase fluids in days leading up to surgery! You will do fine, trust your surgeon, he is a gift from God and will provide you with the tool you need to do the rest! Best wishes and Happy trails from here on! Dayton Roux-n-y March 6th 8:30am
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views