Taking to the hospital?

jennb40
on 2/25/06 1:03 am - Nashua, NH
As us Marchers get ready to go to the hospital....does anybody have any idea what they are taking to the hospital with them? I have read on this website that the most important thing is chap stick. Lots of people say they take things like CD's, DVD players, books, and never get around to them. They say just wear a comfortable set of clothes and go home in them. I am thinking sweat shirt and pants??? Are you planning on staying in hospital gowns or wearing your own? Guess we will need housecoats to walk around in - unless you want your back end exposed if you keep the hospital gowns on!!!! Just wondering if any of you have any good suggestions about what to take and what to wear! Thanks, Barbara
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/25/06 1:42 am - My Town, NH
Hi Barbara. Is it snowing there in Nashua? It's snowing like crazy here in Upper Valley! Time for Spring already! I am taking the requisite chapstick, easy to slip on shoes for walking around the hospital, a robe to cover my exposed backside!, a book, my iPod in case I have a loud roommate, toothbrush and toothpaste, and a teddy bear to make it through the night when my family is gone (silly I know!). I think I will bring a dress to wear home. I have a few that slip over my head. I'm not sure how much my incisions will be affected by a waistband of any type so I thought I'd try the dress. I have a tendency to overpack for work trips but I'm going to try to keep this packing to a minimum! -Stephanie
peanutla30
on 2/25/06 1:54 am - Bossier City, LA
I'm taking: Blistex...someone said it works better than chapstick for dry lips Slippers Robe And one of those hand held fans...my friend just had surgery Tuesday and when I went to see her, she kept having hot flashes....I hate to be hot!! Marcie
cathelewis
on 2/25/06 2:18 am
Hi Barbara, I'm taking lip balm and lotion (I understand your skin can get quite dry). I'm also bringing comfy slip-on shoes to walk in and some books and magazine, 'cuz I go nuts if I don't have something to read. The nurse at my surgeon's office recommended wearing the gowns and robes provided by the hospital. She said in case your incisions leak some fluid, you won't soil your own clothes. The hospital I'm going to has a special bariatric unit, so they have gowns and robes that will fit everybody. I've read several places that you should take your own pillow, so you can use it to support your tummy on the ride home from the hospital. Other things I've heard recommended: pants with an elastic waist, since your belly can become quite swollen from surgery. A sports-type bra, since underwires can rub against your incisions. Can't think of anything else at the moment... Cathe
Tisha C.
on 2/26/06 1:31 pm - Signal Hill, CA
Good tips, all. Cathe - great idea about the sports bra. I didn't even think about the underwires. Then again, I always end up having one underwire in my bra as opposed to two anyway - what's up with that? Can I please have a bra last more than a month with BOTH wires in them??? That would be nice, thanks. ~Tisha
carolann1
on 2/28/06 2:42 am - Great Meadows, NJ
Hi Ladies, I have my surgery date scheduled for March 27, but I haven't been notified if I'm approved yet. I'm pretty new to this site and I appreciate reading everyone's thoughts on what to bring. I know I'll bring some reading material or I'll go nuts! Great idea about the chap stick. One thing I know I'll bring is photos of my kids! They're young ( ages 5 to 12) and I know I'll miss them terribly! In fact, the thing that scares me most about having the surgery is the worry about something going wrong and not coming home to take care of them. Carol
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views