How did u tell your family?

Heather_O
on 2/10/06 7:42 am - WI
Hi everyone My husband has been so supportive but I'm not expecting the same from our families since my date is comming up on march 7th I've decided to tell our parents this weekend. I wrote a letter asking for there support so my plan is to give it to them and wait till there done then answer whatever questions they have but I'm TERRIFIED!!!!! I figured I'm not the only one thats expecting the worse so how did you do it? and what was the response? Good Luck to all the other Marchers Heather
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/10/06 9:15 am - My Town, NH
Hi Heather. We have the same surgery date! Telling family members is often difficult. I waited until I had a date before informing most of my family members. Surprisingly, most of them have been supportive. I tried to emphasize the issues that I WILL have if I DON'T have the surgery. I also attempted to sound confident in my decision and well informed. I think this helps them feel confident also. So far, I haven't had too much negativity that I've had to deal with. I guess I hope that they love me and trust my ability to make decisions that are good for me and also for my health. Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. I hope so! I will send you good thoughts this weekend and hope things go well for you. Good luck, Stephanie
Heather_O
on 2/11/06 5:35 am - WI
Hi Stephanie In my letter to my family I knew I had to be sure they knew they couldnt change my mind so the last paragraph I wrote...This is my decision I hope I've given you a good enough expanation that you can understand why I need to do this but even if I didnt dont try to talk me out of it because its my choice so please support me even if its just by saying you'll be here if I need you...So I hope being confident sounding that it works I know a letter doesnt sound like I'm being strong but considering that after telling someone like my mom that I'm having WLS I would never get a word in. LOL Congradulations on your date and Thanks the advice Heather
njmom1975
on 2/11/06 4:20 am - Lakehurst, NJ
I waited until I had my date also. Not that it really has made that much of a difference since my original date was for Feb 14th, then it went to March 7th, and now we are set for March 14th. Most of my immediate family knows and is very supportive, so are my friends. The only people I haven't told are my kids. I really don't to do that. I don't think that I am going to say anything until right before and it will only be to my daughter since my son is only 3 and I don't know that he will understand what I am saying. Good Luck with your surgery. Jolie
Heather_O
on 2/11/06 5:14 am - WI
Hi Jolie My son is only 2 so I dont have to worry about telling him either its nice when there so young and can be distracted so easily, I hope it goes smoothly telling your daughter. Hopefully your date doesnt change again you must have gotten so frustrated but March 14 is just aroung the corner. Good Luck with you WLS journey Heather
funnygirl
on 2/12/06 2:54 am - Clayton, DE
You know I didn't really think telling my family was a big deal. I wasn't doing this for my family. I am doing this for me. I want to be healthy and be able to enjoy my children and their children. My husband's father doesn't like the idea but you know if he chooses to suffer with medical issues that is his problem not mine. I WANT TO BE FREE!! If family can't understand that there is nothing I can do to change it. Good luck Kathy
LisaS
on 2/12/06 8:58 am - Springfield, MO
Hi Heather! I don't have a date yet, but my family already knows that I am going to do this. I first started looking into the surgery in 2002, so they knew it was in the back of my mind. I told them last year that I have decided to go for it once my insurance changed this year. My mother (who has been a size 4 all her life) was worried at first, but she made a decision to learn about it and talk to people that have had the surgery done. She is now excited for me and wants to help. My dad is a harder read, but he is also supportive. My DH is much more supportive now than he was in 2002. I think he feels confident that I have done the research and know what I am getting us into. And I do mean US. This decision will affect our family life as we know it. He will be a part of the process too. Lastly, my children. I have two girls ages 10 and 6. They both know that I am going in for surgery to help me loose weight. I have explained in broad terms what will happen and how I will eat after the surgery. I had to explain to them that I will not be coming home thin, but that it is a process that they can help me with. They are worried, but better informed and know that they can ask me anything. I wish you luck with your family. Let us know how it turns out.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views