Want to play 5 questions

RieRie
on 2/6/06 11:13 am - somewhere, IL
I thought this would be a way for us all to get to know one another. While we are all waiting for our surgeries. 1. How long did it take you to get a surgery date? 13 months from start. 2. Are you reading any WLS books? I am reading WLS for Dummies right now. I find it interesting and am wondering if I should buy it for a reference. 3. What are you planning on taking to the hospital? Chapstick, slippers, nightgown, magazine, journal, 4. Have you started eating with baby spoons yet. I have been eating with baby spoons for about 2 months now. 5. Are you married and does your husband support your decision? Nope, I am not married but live with boyfriend of 5 years. Yes he supports my decision, actually I didnt give him a choice, but he is trying too. I dont think he knows what kind of ride he is in for.LOL
Kylie S
on 2/6/06 7:07 pm - Melba, Australia
1. How long did it take you to get a surgery date? Nearly two years to get surgery, but I have been on a waiting list this whole time as I am going through the Australian Public Health System. 2. Are you reading any WLS books? No just been on the net finding out information. There are not a lot of WLS books available in Australia that I am aware of. 3. What are you planning on taking to the hospital? Lip balm, my jammies, books, my mum , hmm prolly slippers (but i hate wearing stuff on my feet), cd player. 4. Have you started eating with baby spoons yet. No, I will be on optifast for the two weeks before my surgery on March 1st. 5. Are you married and does your husband support your decision? No I am single, but my family & friends have all supported me.
RieRie
on 2/7/06 3:53 am - somewhere, IL
Hi, I am glad you replied to my post. Thank you. Two years is a long time. I thought One was bad. Guess it is proof that there is always someone worse off then yourself. I beleive I have to go on a optifast diet for two weeks also.I will know for sure on Feb 14, I have a session with my nurse for surgery Good luck with your surgery and keep us posted. love marie.
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/7/06 3:21 am - My Town, NH
Hi Everyone! 1. I began my journey on July 29, 2005 with a visit to my PCP's office to see if he would help me with all of the all of the requirements. That's about 9 months total. 2. I read tons of stuff on the internet and am currently reading "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster" by Peggy Huddleston. 3. I plan to take my husband, my mother, my stuffed teddy bear, (well okay, he'll probably stay at home on my bed ) chapstick for sure, a robe and pjs, toothbrush and other toiletries and my iPod in case I have a very loud roommate! 4. I haven't tried eating with a baby spoon. I do like using dessert plates instead of large dinner plates for my food. 5. Married and my husband is the best! He's very supportive. He attended my surgeon appointment with me and will also attend the pre-op class with me. I'm so fortunate to have him and his support! -Stephanie
RieRie
on 2/7/06 4:01 am - somewhere, IL
Hi, I am glad you answered my post. I will try to have questions about once a week so please check back.As I am really interested in getting to know my fellow marchers. I find this types of post informative. I also eat on dessert plates help with control of your portions. I also eat with a spoon as it helps with control of size of bites. And I am trying to chew, chew, chew. Sounds as if you have a very supported husband. That is nice, isnt it. Bob is supportive also. I just dont think he understands the magnitude of this life change. As far as the teddy Bear, That is a good ideal expecially if you are having open. I have heard of a pillow in the shape of a bear that is sold on the internet for surgery patients to hold while coughing. love marie
Angela S.
on 2/7/06 4:15 am - St. Ann, MO
1. How long did it take you to get a surgery date? It has taken me 3 years to get surgery. I started out in 2002 right after having my son and my insurance denied me, I appealed but then lost my job and was denied again because I no longer had that insurance. I then re-applied through my husband's insurance and was denied again, appeal was also denied. This was my third attempt, through my new employer's insurance and I was approved within one month of applying. It has been a long journey for me to get to this point. 2. Are you reading any WLS books? No, I have the information book from my surgeon but that is all. 3. What are you planning on taking to the hospital? Chapstick, slippers, nightgown, magazine, mp3 player, and a robe. 4. Have you started eating with baby spoons yet. No not yet, but I am already on a liquid protein diet to lose some weight before the surgery. 5. Are you married and does your husband support your decision? Yes, I am married and my husband is very supportive. He is taking off work all three days I am at the hospital so he can be by my side. We have a three year old and he is taking on his care while I am recovering. He will be a huge help to me.
RieRie
on 2/7/06 2:34 pm - somewhere, IL
Thank You for reply to my post. I beleive I have to go on a liquid diet. I will know for sure the 14th. Good luck in your journey and dont forgot us. love marie
rowEn
on 2/7/06 4:23 am - Huntsville, AL
1. How long did it take you to get a surgery date? I started the process at the end of July, but I was also deployed because of the Hurricanes for almost three months. We'll just stick with "less than a year" and call it a day 2. Are you reading any WLS books? Nope. Haven't really looked for any since I've got plenty of friends that have had the surgery and are more than willing to share their experiences with me. I'd rather go into this a little 'stupid' and without any pre-set ideas about what my surgeon should expect from me. I'll let him tell me. 3. What are you planning on taking to the hospital? Chapstick, pajamas, slippers, magazines, moisturizer/lotion. 4. Have you started eating with baby spoons yet. Not yet, but I'm actually buying some this weekend. Then it will be a fight to keep my 15yo from using them! 5. Are you married and does your husband support your decision? Yes, 20 years this coming April. He's fully supportive of any decision that I make, espeically any that concerns my body.
RieRie
on 2/7/06 2:41 pm - somewhere, IL
Thank you for reply to post. Well at least your on your way now. I know what you mean about 15yo. My boyfriend 60 yo decided he needed to use baby utencils also to help him loss weight, but I figure that is his way of being supportive. It will be easier if we both change our way of eating. dont you think. I hope so anyway. love marie
ItsMeTara
on 2/7/06 12:15 pm - Horseheads, NY
You mentioned books... There is a great one out there... Its called Finding the thin person within...by Barbara Thompson I read it and read it over and over...My Drs office actually reccomended it...she also has a web site and a monthly news letter...in case y'all are interested. ((hugs)) Tara
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views