My 3 year report

Rick A.
on 3/20/09 3:16 am - Far Northern, CA
Hello all,

Let me start by saying that I have missed all of you "Marcher's" I had hoped that many of you would check in this month. I do see that each post is getting many views so I know you are out there. I just wish you would give us an update and say hello.

Okay, I'll get off my soap box.

In many ways I can't believe it has been three years since I had this life saving surgery. My life is so different. I no longer worry about having enough energy to do the things I want to or need to do during the course of the day. I feel so much more free from the restrictions my body used to place on me. I still have head issues. The other day I needed to nail something behind the refrigerator and I had pulled it out and still didn't think there was anyway that I would fit in that confined space, but I did.

One bad thing is that I can pretty much eat anything I want and it doesn't bother my pouch. The result of this is that over the course of the last year I have gained 23 pounds. I am not thrilled about that, but I have no one to blame. I know what I am putting in my mouth and I know when I should stop eating. I feel like this surgery has put me on par with all of the "regular" people and I must balance my intake with my exercise. This is my ongoing battle

I still am walking, but not near as much as I used to. I walk about 15 miles a week and I am up to 3200 miles and have averaged about 100 miles a month since I started keeping track. So I haven't checked if I have made it across the country or not yet.

Anyway life is good and I hope everyone is doing well.

As alway, Life is great.

Rick
jannineh99
on 3/20/09 11:41 am - Melrose, MA
Way to go Rick....there are ups and downs to everyone's lifes and we know what we have to do but sometimes life and reality kick in and tries to take over...you are doing wonderful....and keep up the work...I have recently left the YMCA because one it was too expensive so I have joined Planet Fitness with is more than half the price of the YMCA....I will tell you what if you come in once a day and report in I will as well...maybe we can show the example to everyone else and get some of our friends to check in..

Have a wonderful weekend....

God Bless
Jannine
Rick A.
on 3/21/09 1:49 am - Far Northern, CA
Jannine,

It was good to hear from you.

I admire you for going to the gym. I have never been a "gym" kind of guy. Maybe I should be?

I can't promise I will check in everyday, but I will try to post every now and then also. I sometimes don't think I have much to say. Oh well.

Take care, Rick
Lauren003
on 3/21/09 6:33 am - , NC

Sounds like you're doing great Rick. You're exercising and getting out to experience what life has to offer you. As for the extra 23, you know how they appeared and you know how to make them disappear again if you choose to. You have control, not the food ( like it used to). Isn't that a great feeling?

Lauren

Confucius say: Man who smoke pot choke on handle

Rick A.
on 3/21/09 6:39 am - Far Northern, CA
Lauren,

It's good to hear from you. You are looking great.

You are right, I take full responsibility for the weight I have gained and I know what it will take for it to go away again. It is a challange, but it is so worth it.

Take care, Rick
IceMama
on 3/22/09 5:10 pm

Rick,

Congrats on the 3 years and I know exactly where you are on this journey. It is so much more than just losing weight and your are fixed. I am 3 years and a day now since it is after midnight. I did some random  blogging to try and get what I was feeling today out there but unless yu experience it yourself you don't fully understand.

N.E. way I'll keep reading your posts and being inspired.

Steph

Rick A.
on 3/23/09 6:56 am - Far Northern, CA
Steph,

You are right that it is hard for someone to understand the journey we have been through unless they have also traveled the same path.

I'm glad we are here for each other.

Take care, Rick
sratliff
on 3/29/09 9:57 am - auburn, CA
I am 3 years out today (March 29) and I continue to celebrate my surgery every day.  I am considerable older than most WLS patients (almost 67 at the time of surgery).  It has been a life changing adventure for me.  I would do it again in a heart beat.  I lost 112 pounds and have stayed within a 5 poound range of that.  I continue to battle portion sizes and fortunately still get the "foamies" or worse.Nothing like negative reinforcement to keep me in line. I have a loving man in my life who has been there for the past two yuears.  Quite an adventure for this now almost 70 year old.
Rick A.
on 3/29/09 12:31 pm - Far Northern, CA
Thanks for checking in. You are an inspiration to me. I'm glad you took the leap of faith and had the surgery. I wish I would have done it much sooner. I was 45 when I had the surgery. It was the best decision of my life.

I would be interested to know what special challenges you felt you encountered and what benefits you have enjoyed since having this surgery when as you stated you are more mature then some of us? Please let us know.

Congratulations for keepin the weight off and living life to it's fullest.

Take care, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views