Long update - Sorry to be MIA so long!

robinsaxton
on 4/14/08 11:09 pm - Columbia, MD
Hey everyone. I am working on getting an update to my profile - just realized I haven't written an update in almost a year! But I wanted to post here and try to catch y'all up on where I have been and what's been going on lately. I know I have been terrible at posting but I just haven't had time to get on the site and even read posts, let alone post myself. Work has been crazy but I am now getting the hang of it. I added another manager to support who then took on additional duties so his travel increased tremendously, along with his meetings and calls. My workload doubled as a result and it has taken me a few months to get and keep it all together. Anyway, I am just over 2 years post-rny and doing pretty good. I want to loose another 13-15 lbs and am working towards that goal. That number includes some weight I gained back at the beginning of the year. Stress eating is a huge issue for me. So I was grazing A LOT on carbs (crackers, mini-chocolates, fruit) and so the lbs came back. I also stopped weighing myself everyday and as a result was shocked at the lbs gained when I did finally get on the scale. I have increased my cardio exercise and am working on keeping my calories down so I hope to see that 13 lbs off soon. I hope to feel back in touch with you all soon. I will try to post more oftenand keep in touch with everyone. I also had my second plastic surgery. I had a breast lift/augmentation on March 21st! My story is below. I post this hoping to help anyone else who may be thinking of plastics. We all have certain expectations for what we want from WLS and our plastics. I believe that sometimes our expectations will not be met with the results we see, as in my experience this time. But that doesn't mean that we can not be happy and even thrilled with the results. I will also be updating my profile with even more detail and will let you know when that is done. STOP READING NOW IF YOU DO NOT CARE FOR ALL THE DETAILS OF THE SURGERY!! Such as incision, appearance, size, etc. We are retired military and I went through Walter Reed plastic surgery to have my bl/ba done. The same doctor who did my LBL did this surgery. So, on the day of surgery I went to Kimbrough and all went well. Surgery was about 4 hours and we began around 8 or 8:30. Can't remember the time cuz as soon as they gave me the happy juice I was gone! I was quite sore afterwards - felt like someone had just beat and battered my chest but it wasn't terrible. (I think my pain tolerance is pretty high so I seem to do well). I asked Dr. Martin if we got my D's and he said yes - depending on the type of bra I wear. I wasn't sure what that meant and of course was too groggy to ask. He told my husband that they will settle down soon so not to worry. The surgery was same day so no overnight stay in the hospital. Finally on Saturday I took off the halter they had me in to take a look at my new breasts. I am going to be totally honest here and tell you I was quite disappointed. I was expecting my breasts to be really high, like practically sitting under my chin. I also was expecting to have that really close cleavage line. I had absolutely no cleavage and while the breasts were lifted and clearly larger I felt they were more out to the sides than the front. I couldn't see the incisions because of the bandages. Dr. M asked me not to take the bandages off until my follow-up with him on Friday (one week after surgery). I was able to shower since he had good bandaging and the glue stuff as well. So all week I just kept looking at my breasts (still wearing the halter) and thinking "I paid $4800 for this!!!" I mean they look good but if they "settle down" anymore they will be back in my belly. I had lots of questions for Dr. M! However, I had to wait until Monday (3/31) since he was not in the office the Friday before. I did talk to a friend who had implants done last June. I had some serious concerns and was down right worried about things. She helped me greatly by putting my mind at ease over a couple of things. She explained that she went from an A to a D and had no natural cleavage either. She said her doc said that some women do not have that type of cleavage no matter what you do. She also said her breasts felt more out to the sides than the front in the beginning. She said she still feels that way sometimes but is very happy with her breasts now. She told me to talk to the doctor but to also give it time. On Monday (3/31) I saw Dr. Martin. He is a wonderful man. He is caring, patient, funny and really wants to do a good job on his patients and give them what they want - if it is possible. He is also very honest. So when he walked in and asked how I was doing I told him I had serious concerns. He said "let's hear them, lay it out there". He did not at all try to make excuses or push aside my concerns as paranoia or unnecessary or unimportant. I truly appreciate that. I told him I was quite disappointed with the fact that while my breasts are lifted they don't seem to be lifted enough. I wonder if in 6 months I will have full saggy boobs again. I also asked about the cleavage and about why my breasts seemed more side full than front full. He explained that the cleavage comes from the muscles located in between the breasts across the sternum. He said that some women are naturally closer or tighter through that area than others and that is where the cleavage comes from. He said given my body type I will not have that close line but should with the right bra's have nice cleavage. He then said that the implant for me is placed under the muscle which allows for less stress on the skin and less chance for sagging later on. If he had placed the implant on top of the muscle (which may have given me a "higher" appearance) that we would be asking a lot of my already stretched out skin. The muscle helps to make sure the implant stays in place and doesn't sag as easily. As for the lift part - he said that if after healing I am not happy with the lift he will go back and lift some more. He also said if the size isn't quite what I want after healing then he can go about 50cc's more on each side but will not go higher because that would be a lot of stress on my skin. He also explained that after the swelling goes down we will have a better idea of the size and placement of the breast and can determine if I am happy then. But he is more than willing to make some adjustments if needed. He recommended I get some really good soft supportive bras. I have chosen to get some good sports bras with cups for now. They have really made a huge difference over the halter that I was wearing. I still feel they can be lifted another 1/2 to 1 inch but after I am healed I'll decide it if is really worth the money and time to re-tuck things. I think the size will be perfect. I'll have to wear bras that bring them together for a nice cleavage - which is looking pretty good already. I went back to work on the 31st just 10 days after surgery. I started cardio at the gym two weeks after surgery. I am just going to do the bike and/or treadmill to reduce the "bounce" affect for now. But if felt good to workout again. I can not do any upperbody weight lifting or exercises for 4 weeks (one month post-op). Oh - the incision! I have nice round (smaller) nipples and a verticle line from the nipple to the bottom of each breast. There is no other incision which is nice. (this is called a lollipop incision.) That way I will have virtually no scar to hide at all. While my breasts aren't perfect - they are much improved. Each day I am happier and happier with them. I have had the stitches removed and feel that things are looking good. The incision looks very good and I believe that in time it will fade very nicely. I feel it is important to share these experiences with others because I had completely different expectations in my mind. No two of us are alike so we will all have different stories to tell although some parts of our stories will be very similar. The type of implant is silicone gel and can be replaced with one that is contoured a little differently for more frontal fullness but I really do not want to pay for more implants. My silicone's were $1600. Dr. Martin has been wonderful and really wants what is best for me and my body. He is honest in explaining that some things just aren't going to be fixed to perfection. My breasts will not ever look like a 20 year old. But they are 100% better than they were. Dr. M also said that he wants to make sure that my breasts won't slap around when I am running. (His words exactly - which made me laugh.) He wants to make sure that I will be quite happy with the results and will do whatever it takes to get me there. For example, he wants to do a revision of my LBL and remove more skin from my outer thighs since he has taken as much fat out as is safe to do so. Besides the thighplasty (with that terrible scar from the groin to the knee), that is the next best way for my body to be rid of these bulky thighs. They won't ever be slim & firm but I am determined to somehow get a couple more inches off of their size! And Dr. Martin is willing to help me accomplish that goal. Of course this all takes money so no of it will be happening really soon! I am just over 3 weeks post-op now. I still have some discomfort and an occassional sharp pain but that is all part of the healing process. I believe they look good. (I will not be posting pictures just yet but will let you know if and when I decide to do so.) It is very important to be open and honest with your surgeon (plastics or WLS or otherwise). I feel that knowing what to expect from teh get-go will only help in the long run. Dr. Martin is a terrific doctor but I did not get a complete picture from him of what to expect when I woke up from surgery. I still want my breasts lifted more but will wait at least 6 months and maybe even 12 before deciding if it will be worth the time and $$. Being military I will have to pay for any revision needed so I do not know if it will be worth it for one more inch! I want to concentrate on getting the outer thighs done and then see where I am at that point. If any of you have any questions please feel free to ask. I have no problem being open with you all because someday you may want plastics and hopefully I can help you along your journey. One last quick note - the cost of the surgery at Kimbrough was $3105 initially. There may be additional fees for which they will bill me but I don't expect to have any more expenses other than the meds I was prescribed. Yes, even though I had them filled at Kimbrough I have to pay for them because this is an elective procedure not covered by TriCare and therefore I pay all expenses. But it's been worth it!! Thanks for sticking in there for those who made it this far. Have a great day! Robin
Amy I.
on 4/15/08 2:54 am - KS
Robin I will be getting PS next year when my husband gets home! TT, breast lift and augmentation. I still have larger breasts (34DD) but they are saggy! And my stomach and sides... well lets just say WOW. I think that I could go down another size if I got rid of the extras. MAYBE? If I have a PS question I know that I can come to you. Hope you will like the new girls soon! Thanks Amy I
Stephanie Smiles
on 4/16/08 2:05 am - My Town, NH
Hi Robin. Thanks for checking in and sharing your plastic surgery story. It's so true that expectations can sometimes be more than is even possible. While I love my "new" girls (reduction without implants) they are certainly not perfect. And my arms, forget it! I'll still not be able to wear short sleeves which was a goal. What I can say, is that my body is much improved without the extra skin. The improvement is all that I can really expect. Perfection is as elusive now as it was at 350 pounds! Thanks for stopping by! Hugs, Stephanie
robinsaxton
on 4/17/08 6:55 am - Columbia, MD
Hi Stephanie, Yep, perfection is elusive and way overrated! I just saw a before picture of my "girls" and man can I just say what an improvement. They are 110% better than before even if they aren't what I had expected. I certainly can not complain! Like my doctor said, we all have a picture in our heads (and maybe even in our hearts) of what we would like our bodies to look like. The trick is to figuring out if we can get someplace close to that and if we are willing to go through what it takes to do that and then learning to love and accept who we are no matter what. I am very thankful to God and my surgeons for all that has been done to get me here today. So good to hear from you! Hugs, Robin
BelindaOBX
on 4/16/08 11:20 am - Mount Gilead, NC
Thanks for sharing your experiences. Belinda
RebekaA
on 4/18/08 4:16 am - Inland Empire, CA
Thanks very much for sharing Robin! It's all very valuable info. I'm glad you are feeling happier with them. take care of yourself!
Lauren003
on 5/22/08 1:23 pm - , NC
Thank you for talking about this, Robin. I've wanted to know the truth about PS and reading your experiences is a great help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views