Support and encouragment

Rick A.
on 3/11/08 7:50 pm - Far Northern, CA
Last night I drove 200 miles to attend my monthly support group meeting. This was a men's meeting and there were eight guys there. The planned program was scrapped and instead we had a round table discussion for an hour and a half. The strange part was that I was the only post-op person there so I became the voice of authority. I was asked a large variety of questions. I did my best to answer their concerns and offer encouragement. Since this was a bunch of guys they were not afraid to ask personal questions. At times it was a bit uncomfortable. I was asked about loose skin, energy levels, dumping, vitamins and exercise. Perhaps the hardest question to answer was the one about if I had eaten like I do now prior to surgery could I have avoided the surgery all together? I tried to explain that I had lost large amounts of weight in the past, but I was not able to maintain my loss. My tool is what has made the difference for me. It was hard for them to understand without having the success each of us now enjoy. This meeting was a great reminder to me of the apprehension I had prior to surgery and how much I appreciated the support and information I received from those who had gone before me. It was also a nice reminder to try to set a good example for others and to help them along their path. If you get a chance, I encourage you to visit the March 2008 board and check out the newbie's. Read their fears and realize how far we have come. This will also give you a chance to be an encourager to them. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/12/08 5:05 am - My Town, NH
Sounds like you were very helpful to the others in your group. Way to go! I wish my support group was more effective. I go when I can and then wonder why I'm there. Success has certainly been the best motivator for me! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 3/12/08 6:13 am - Far Northern, CA
Thanks Stephanie, I really didn't want it to be about me, but I hope some of them found it helpful. Take care, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views