Is this what it is like to be normal?

Rick A.
on 3/10/08 1:29 pm - Far Northern, CA
Last weekend I went to a brother's house to help him cut down some trees and clean up some brush. I spent 10 hours climbing up and down very steep hills and doing some pretty strenuous work. The funny thing was that I never broke into a sweat and I only got out of breath two times, once wile I was walking up a steep hill carrying a large log. It felt so good to be out in the fresh air and feeling like I could accomplish something without worrying about dropping dead from exhaustion. It seemed like I was watching someone else doing all of this work because I know that I have never worked that hard with such ease in my entire life. Two of the reasons I was helping out my brothers was that I would be the benefactor of some firewood for next year. The other is that they were clearing out these trees to install a zip line. It goes for about 550 feet. I wish I could tell that I was brave enough to go down the line, but I chickened out, at least for now. I will do it, I just wasn't ready just yet. The reason I have posted this is because I was wondering if this is the feeling of good health that I have missed out on for more then 40 years of my life? I wasted a lot of years planning how to get out of physical work or trying to figure an easier way to go over the next hill. It is an incredible feeling to not have those concerns anymore and it amazes me what I am able to accomplish with so little effort. I hope each of you have experienced this feeling and are now living life to it's fullest and not just trying to get by, which is what I have spent most of my life doing. Life is great, because I have the hope of an active, full life. Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 3/11/08 2:30 am - North of Boston, MA
A zip line sounds like SOOOOOOOO much fun!! you've gotta try it and let us know about your experience so we can live vicuriously through it I tried indoor skydiving and had a blast. I had thought about doing it, but after finding out the weight limits I knew there would be no chance of it happening for a long time. When I met the limit I couldn't wait to try it. give the zip line a shot you'll have fun Yesterday I was cleared from the DR. with my foot surgery! I was so anxious to get back in the swing of things I went home and walked 10 minutes with incline on the treadmill. I'm going to take it slow, but climbing 2 flights of stairs this morning and being out of breath again was a sign to get back to work so even though its a slow start, its time to make it happen!
Rick A.
on 3/11/08 2:40 am - Far Northern, CA
I'm so glad you have been cleared from the doctor. It will feel good to get to moving again. Like you said though, take it slow and work back into it. I know what you mean about the weight limitations on things. I have always wanted to take a helicopter ride, but I was over the limit before. It is another thing on my list to do. Take care, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/11/08 3:35 am - My Town, NH
Rick, I know exactly what you are talking about. I spent soooo much time and energy trying to figure out how to get out of physical work, extra walking, climbing stairs, etc. Now I just do it (kinda like Nike! )! I'm not sure I feel "normal" yet. Maybe I never will. Maybe "normal" is difficult to define for me. But I know it's much easier to live life and enjoy it. Let us know if you do the zip line thing. I'd love to know what that feels like. I'm somewhat of a scaredy cat so I'm not sure I could do it! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 3/11/08 4:35 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, I'm glad you are able to easily do the things you want to do. I also do not know what normal is, nor do I think I ever want to be "normal". I just have to get used to what the "new" me. I still have trouble wrapping my head around that one. I will indeed let you know about the zip line adventure. I WILL do it. The thing had just been set up for a day or so and I want to wait until there is a proper launch platform. They were just using a ladder and it was very awkward. I look forward to all of the new adventures we will accomplish in our future. It is just great to realize we all have a healthier future to enjoy. Take care, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views