Good morning! I reme...

Stephanie Smiles
on 3/4/08 8:23 pm - My Town, NH
Good morning! I remember every job interview I ever had as a morbidly obese person. I always used to say that I succeeded professionally DESPITE my size. I'm not sure why I was proud of that, but I was. It's disturbing that there is such discrimination in the workplace based on size. Well, it's disturbing that there is discrimination on any level! I asked myself how much discrimination I really experienced due to my weight or did I put limits on myself because of my size? I'd have to say it was a little of both. One of the motivators for having surgery was the realization that I could never move up to the next position in my current place of employment without losing a significant amount of weight. My job requires a lot travel, tons of walking and being on your feet, and is relatively intense. It took me at least three full days to recover from an event or a trip. At the next level, you don't have that kind of recovery time. I'll admit that I often take a nap at some point during the weekend after a trip, but I don't need three days! I think people take me more seriously now than when I weighed 350 pounds. For some reason, I'm seen as more capable. Maybe I am physically, but certainly my mental aptitude has remained constant. What about you? Did you suffer discrimination due to your size? Below are a few statistics about weight discrimination in the workplace. Have a great day! Speaking of trips...I'm headed to NYC and will return late tomorrow afternoon. I'll post the daily musings then! Hugs, Stephanie ********************************************************* Weight Bias in Employment In the hiring process Compared to job applicants with the same qualifications, obese applicants are rated more negatively and are less likely to be hired. Obese applicants are also perceived to be unfit for jobs involving face-to-face interactions. In addition, overweight and obese applicants are viewed as having ? poor self-discipline ? low supervisory potential ? poor personal hygiene ? less ambition and productivity In the workplace ? A 2007 study of over 2800 Americans found that overweight adults were 12 times more likely to report weight-based employment discrimination compared to "normal" weight adults, obese persons were 37 times more likely, and severely obese adults were 100 times more likely. Women appear particularly vulnerable: over one-quarter (27%) of them report employment discrimination. ? Forty-three percent of overweight people report that they have experienced weight bias from employers and supervisors. ? Some companies are planning to regularly charge overweight employees unless they meet standards for weight, cholesterol, and blood pressure. Consequences Overweight people: ? earn 1 to 6 percent less than non-overweight people in comparable positions, and obese females suffer more than obese males ? get fewer promotions ? are viewed as lazy, less competent, and lacking in self-discipline by their employers and co-workers.9 More than half (54%) of overweight participants in a study reported they had been stigmatized by co-workers. ? can be fired or suspended because of their weight, despite demonstrating good job performance and even though weight is unrelated to their job responsibilities
Rick A.
on 3/4/08 10:37 pm - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, Another thought provoking post. I also feel that I have been discriminated because of my previous size. I have been promoted, but only within the last few months. I agree with all of the thoughts and studies posted above. Discrimination isn't always obvious, but it still exists. Maybe our challenge now is to help change the lives of others that have not received the tool we were able to obtain. I know I will always have a soft spot for "people of size". Maybe that is reverse discrimination. If so, OH well. Have a great day and enjoy NYC. Take care, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/6/08 10:45 pm - My Town, NH
Rick, I think that type of reverse discrimination is welcome in our society. There are many ways in which we could be kinder and gentler to people who face discrimination. I know it can't make up for what they experience, but we can give them encouragement! I'm sure your promotion was well deserved before you actually received it. Our brains are not impacted by the amount of weight we carry around our bodies! Hugs, Stephanie
RebekaA
on 3/5/08 12:39 pm - Inland Empire, CA
this is a topic close to my heart, having so much experience with it (I used to work freelance, so have VAST interview experience.) To be honest, I was always impressed I got so many offers, despite my size. I always credited employers with being able to "see" past my size, mind you this was when I was around 215-220, before ballooning up to 250+. My last job however proved different, it was the first time I'd ever really seen such pronounced fat-ism and sexism at work. I interviewed for a job as Asst to the VP. they called me back and offered me a lower position as Asst to the CFO b/c they felt "my skills were more suited for it". I took it and told my dh, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, but if i show up and there's a size 2 blonde bimbo in that office, I'm going to be pissed. GUESS WHO WAS THERE? you betcha. she looked like an ad for "Aqua Net" hairspray and the Miss USA pageant. it was the first time I'd ever seen such blatant fatism. I couldn't believe it. Worse, was that I got to know the poster girl who got "my job" and found she not only had less experience, but also less training than me--so it was obvious she was only hired to "fit the appearance bill." sad but true. Worse, was that I couldn;t really blame them for going with someone "more visually appropriate" for the position. All this has made me really curious what it will be like when i go back out to the job market. I've been a Stay at home mom since that crappy job, so it will be interesting to see how different it is and how much more/if at all, i am valued now that i'm not fat.
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/6/08 10:50 pm - My Town, NH
Rebeka, I wish I could tell you that the job market (and people) have evolved since you've been working as a stay-at-home mom. But it hasn't. You most likely will notice that you are treated differently and have more opportunity. I know that it makes me angry sometimes when I realize that the opportunities I have now would not have been available two years ago. I'm still as intelligent as I was then. I still work just as hard as I did before. I've come up against the "looks the part" candidate who gets the job over me too. Fortunately, that choice is often regretted by those who make it! Looks don't always indicate that someone is capable. There is a certain amount of glee that I enjoy when that happens! Hugs, Stephanie
jennb40
on 3/5/08 8:25 pm - Nashua, NH
Great thought prevoking post. Sometimes I think the reason I worked so hard at my jobs was to prove I could do everything and more than the "little people" and because of all that hard work I did advance in every job I have ever had. Whose to say how much more I might have advanced had I been a "little person" but I will never know. I also wonder if I had been a "little person" if I would have worked so hard??? I like to think I give it 100%+ regardless of my size - that's just the way I am...but who knows? Barb
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/6/08 10:53 pm - My Town, NH
Barb, you are just that way! I know you work hard at anything you do. I used to feel that I had to be the one to stay late, come in on the weekends, and take on extra work just to prove my value. Why else would they want someone as big as me around??? I still have some of that but I do ask others to take on more now instead of me taking ALL of it. I guess my personal time has become more valuable to me as I become more active outside of work. We still work hard, but hopefully we play just as hard! Hugs, Stephanie
BigOleTriGuy
on 3/7/08 1:38 pm - Alexandria, LA
hey y'al. Stopping in to say congrats to everyone for making two years and wishing all the best. My short stay here last fall made an impression. I do deal with my demons and being a guy I go into my cave. I wish all the best for any plasic surgury folks and good health to all emile in Louisian aka big ole tri guy
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/7/08 8:09 pm - My Town, NH
Hi Emile. Happy surgiversary to you as well! You'll truly have something to celebrate on St. Patrick's Day. Feel free to pop out of your cave and come visit us at any time. We all have demons and I find it helpful just to know that others have them and I'm not alone! Hugs, Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views