adjustments

Rick A.
on 2/21/08 10:45 pm - Far Northern, CA
When Rick first made up his mind for surgery,I purged the pantry of contraband,began to read labels and went to low-fat everything.Certainly didn't hurt and made me more aware of the life-time commitment this was going to be...for BOTH of us. (Would I ever have pasta again?Chips?How could we possibly "go out" to eat?) Then I thought,now I have to make 2 meals each time. Selfish thoughts for the non-surgery person. But,we (I) adjusted.The more positive changes I saw in Rick, the easier adjustments became. Two years out, the pantry looks the same. I make one,healthy meal,for both of us and we still "go out" to eat...just not as much. Adjusting to his daily walking had me resentful at first, an hour out of our limited time together.But I read when I don't join him and he has quiet time away from the grandson's X-box. Our local Dr.gave one of her patients $100. on losing 100 lbs.It was a nice article in the paper until she made the statement that "she worked so hard and didn't do it the easy way through pills or surgery". I,WE,were incensed! Surgery is no "easy way" for the person having it or the support person that is also right there with them. Rick wrote a careful letter.But the Dr. should have known better. Family and friends, too, have made similar remarks. I'll tell you,if it was the "easy" way,more people would be doing it.The commitment/adjustments are life-long for both of us and it never was "easy" watching him suffer when some little bite didn't sit right. So wear your loud Hawaiian shirt (so much smaller) with pride,Rick. Ladies,hold those heads up and delight in the new you.It's been a wonderful "adjustment"for each of us. thanks for listening-Irene
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/22/08 2:33 am - My Town, NH
Irene, the adjustment has been wonderful. On the plane yesterday, I saw a show called (gotta love JetBlue!) "You Are What You Eat". It's a show on the BBC. The Brits don't mince words! This couple was astounded when the hostess of the show piled everything they eat in a week on the kitchen table. Actually it took several tables. The thing that scared me was that I know I used to eat that much and those kinds of foods. It was awful to see it all piled up like that. Disgusting actually! While this surgery certainly hasn't been the easy way out for me, I'm so grateful that it worked. Thanks for the reminder to delight in the new me! Also, thank you for taking over for Rick. He's lucky to have you (which I'm sure he knows!) and you are lucky to have him as well. Have a great weekend! Hugs, Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views