winter doldrums

Rick A.
on 2/20/08 10:44 pm - Far Northern, CA
It's cold,its cloudy and there's still snow on the ground from January...I WANT SPRING! I get excited when the first tip of the tulips peeks through the frozen ground.Spring starts the year over...a new begining. Its easier to walk in the Spring, and more fun,seeing and smelling the flowers and fresh air. Spring brings better produce prices and oh, the fresh asparagus and strawberries! It means uncovering the waterfall and being able to listen to it. Its easy to be blue in the winter.To stay indoors and be lazy...and cook and eat. In the winter,I bake. No point making 3 dozen cookies when its just as easy to do 12 dozen. But I learned a trick: I bake,I freeze or give away-IMMEDIATLY. The church,the grandkids,the school, the local Blood Drive...even Les Schwab Tires,where they are so nice. It chases my blues,gives me my delight in baking and makes someone els happy...what a deal! I especially try to bake when Rick is not home,but I save one or two.Play music,enjoy a fire or candles,a hot soaky bath ,a good book...regroup and relax in the winter. And if you must bake...give it away. Thanks for listening- Irene
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/20/08 11:45 pm - My Town, NH
Good morning, Irene. I want spring too!!! I can't believe I'm packing my suitcase and leaving beatuiful, warm, and sunny Naples, FL in a couple of hours. I just can't stand the thought of returning to New Hampshire today. It's only in the mid twenties there. I tried to tell my husband and my boss that I was just going to stay here in Florida until all of the snow was gone. Neither of them bought that plan! It's amazing how much the sun can improve your mood and attitude. I loved walking on the beach last night and this morning. I also love to bake. Winter is a great baking time. These days, I too give away my baked goods. Baking is a very relaxing thing for me. It occupies my brain and allows me to be creative. I really worried about my love of baking before I had surgery. I wondered if I would still like to bake, if I would be able to resist the temptation to eat the items I baked, and if I would even enjoy giving baked goods away. I'm happy to report that I worried for nothing. I still love to cook and bake. It's one of the ways I enjoy nurturing. If I make cookies, I'll eat one or two and be just fine. I don't need to eat 12 or 14 like I used to. Spring is coming. I promise! Hugs, Stephanie
~ Stylz ~
on 2/21/08 2:41 am - North of Boston, MA
Stay til Saturday atleast by then it will be a little warmer and the 4-8" of snow would have fallen by then!! snow.......
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/22/08 2:36 am - My Town, NH
We're getting 2" to 4". UGH! I'm so ready for it to be gone!!! I want tulips and daffodils and sun! Is that so much to ask???? Oh well, it's only two months away.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views