why not?

Rick A.
on 2/19/08 10:45 pm - Far Northern, CA
Something I ask myself is why didn't I have the surgery? I guess I've hidden in my "stuffed skin" for so long,I'm used to it. I know I don't have the determination/dedication that Rick does...that you all have. And, here's the other thing: I don't want loose skin. I have few wrinkles because I fill them out. There was a tv show on "big surgery" that featured a pretty young woman that had had the surgery,was eating healthy,exercising and had layers of excess skin. Her insurance refused to pay for the removal. Her Dr. fought for her,stating the hygene problems (not to mention her self-esteem!).She was denied. The look in her eyes haunted me. To do everything humanly possible to chnage your life, your health,your spirit and then be crushed. I wondered if she would turn to food as her comfort again.What a tragedy! I live in a swimsuit almost year-round;aqua areobics,our pool. There is no place for skin to hide in a swimsuit. Vanity is a poor excuse for not having the surgery. I am so proud of all of you that put every excuse aside and went ahead with the surgery. I've seen Rick go from being an old man to someone younger,more active,more social but more self-confident and ALIVE. He is lit up. I hope each of you are"lit up" with energy and delight in each day,with endless possibilities. Thanks for listening. Irene
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/20/08 4:26 am - My Town, NH
Irene, I never "recommend" the surgery to anyone. I feel it is a very personal decision that each person should make on their own. I do tell people who ask, about my positive experiences but I also mention the stuff that is difficult. Most of that difficult stuff is in my head. I can attest that plastic surgery doesn't always make it better. Here I am in Florida. It's beautiful today and at least 78 degrees. But you won't catch me in short sleeved shirts. Nope. Not even AFTER plastic surgery on my arms. There are things inside that plastics, weight loss surgery, and any amount of weight loss won't fix. Having said that, I think I am far more "lit up" than ever before in my life and I don't regret my surgery for even one second. I'll keep working on my outside AND my inside. It's a journey! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us! Hugs, Stephanie
~ Stylz ~
on 2/21/08 2:28 am - North of Boston, MA
sure theres extra skin, but think of it this way... youre healthier even with sagging skin. you can climb stairs without being out of breath, long walks even running or biking or plenty of other exercise thats out there one wouldnt have thought about doing being over weight. In all honesty (and I dont like saying this) but vanity IS the reason I had surgery. I didn't have any co-morbidities when I had surgery, would I have years down the road since my father had diabetes and passed away at 54 with heart disease, possibly, but I didn't have sleep apnea, a medicine chest full of prescriptions to take for endless problems. I just had a lot of weight I'd try to lose on my own over and over agan, but it would come back. I had the surgery because I didn't want to be a size 26/28 anymore, I was overweight my entire life. I wanted to feel what it felt like to buy clothes in a regular store, not in the plus section. Wear heels and not have my feet hurt, slide on into a booth with friends without thinking twice if I'd fit, not being embarassed at the gym or even in public feeling that people were looking at me as the biggest person in the room instead of who I actually was. I needed a change and I'm happy I did it. I feel great, am so much healthier by going out for a walk or a bike ride, not worrying about having to take the elevator with people 1 floor up just because I didn't want to be breathing like a banchee when I got there... its so worth the rewards! Obviously this is my journey and everyones is different. Its funny, when I go to support group meetings I go to listen and learn. There are a few post-ops there who could work for the clinic as much as they try to lean someones decision for lap band or bypass. I'd never sway anyone as to what they should do with their body. This surgery is far from a simple proceedure as intestines are getting re-routed in your body. everyone should decide whats best for themselves instead of listening to someone telling them which one to have. its something you need a whole lot of dedication for and support! we have a great group here and we're always offering support to each other which I think is the reason our group has been so successful!
~ Stylz ~
on 2/21/08 2:40 am - North of Boston, MA
aaahhhhh spring, what a wonderful thought only to be shattered with stepping outside this morning to 12 degrees!!! This weather is cold enough to make anyone stay in and hibernate! Such great ideas to bake and give away. I wasn't much of a baker during my pre-op days, just an eater!! Chocolate was my poison and boyyy could I eat it in quantity! If I make any treats now I'm sure to find a sugar free way to do it! this weekend I made a cheesecake and some protein fudge. stay positive and keep giving those goodies away, putting on the faces of your loved ones!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views