New Adventures

Stephanie Smiles
on 2/12/08 8:56 pm - My Town, NH
Good morning. Once again, it's snowing at my house! The roads are treacherous this morning so I'm working from home. I've had an interesting adventure the last few days. It's something I know I wouldn't have attempted before losing this weight. I dropped my brother off at the airport yesterday morning. That might not seem like an adventure. The thing is, I met him for the first time on Sunday. I guess, technically, he is my half brother. We've been corresponding via email for about nine months or so. He traveled to NH for another reason and we decided to meet. I know, in my soul, that this is not something I would have done before surgery and all of this weight loss. I would never have had the confidence to put myself out there and take this risk. I would not have initiated contact in the first place, much less agreed to meet face-to-face. One of the gifts WLS has brought me is the ability to take risks. Now, I'm not about to go bungee jumping or anything. But, I am far more willing to take other kinds of risks. I have the confidence to meet just about anyone. I also have an increased sense of self worth. I never really thought I was worth knowing at 350 pounds. Of course, that wasn't true. It certainly felt true at the time. I am worth knowing, regardless of the number on the scale. I'm glad I took this risk. He is a wonderful human being and I hope that we develop a relationship that can continue to grow as we get to know each other. I hope that the surgery each of us had in March 2006 has brought all of us gifts and adventures. What do you think you would/could attempt now that you wouldn't have as a morbidly obese person? Have a great day! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 2/13/08 1:42 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, Good for you having the confidence to meet your "new" brother. I guess I still have a lot of head issues. I still think when people see me that are looking at a big person. Maybe that's because I still feel as if I am a big person. I don't know if that makes any sense or not? I know that I am more willing to attempt any physical activity then I was in the past. I would always try to be in the background of any activity and not put myself out where I could be observed struggling. Know I usually lead the pack. That is a great feeling. Next week I am flying again and it is so nice not to have to worry about putting on the seat belt and even being able to put the tray down. I'm sure that seems like such an insignificant thing to the rest of the world, but the people here understand it all to well. Thanks for your post. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/13/08 5:39 am - My Town, NH
Rick, that pack is infinitely better for your leadership! And, I know how great it feels to do something active that you would have struggled in before. Enjoy those flights. I'm going to enjoy mine as well. There is a little thrill I get every time I buckle my seat belt on the plane. I can't help but grin and feel a sense of pride. Hugs, Stephanie
jennb40
on 2/13/08 1:47 am - Nashua, NH
Stephanie, Stephanie, Stephanie....I can't believe that before this surgery you would not have met your new half/brother....Stephanie - look at all you did pre-WLS...how successful you were with your job...and people loved and respected you at whatever weight you were at. You might not have had much self worth according to yourself, but you were successful - in your job, in your marriage and I am betting many other areas. One thing that happened when you were an MOP (morbidly obese person) was you put yourself out here on this web site and I got to know and love you long before I ever met you!!!! I think you are great and I am glad you are feeling better about yourself...but you were great before! Barbara
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/13/08 5:41 am - My Town, NH
Barbara, you're so sweet! Thank you! Putting myself out there is so much easier now. I'm very glad that we've met. You enrich my life in huge ways! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 2/13/08 9:50 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, I never new I was a MOP, I always thought I was a POS, Person of size, but other people think that stands for something else. Sorry to use a crass expression, I just thought it was funny, Have a great day, Rick
RebekaA
on 2/13/08 10:20 am - Inland Empire, CA
I think that's so great you had a chance to connect with your brother! I hope it surpassed your expectations and that you had a really nice time. A major thing I had stopped doing as I passed the 250# mark, was one of my favorite things ever: traveling and going on vacation. I just felt so conspicuous, like everyone was looking at me and judging me. Esp. b/c dh and I traveled abroad alot, to Europe etc. and there were several times I felt like the biggest people there! I swear Europeans are all just so teeny! It had gotten to where I was physically UNCOMFORTABLE everywhere we went. And having to worry about "fitting" in trains, buses, booths etc SUCKED. I started making excuses anytime dh would bring up a trip. this year we already have TWO vacations on the books I'm excited to not stick out like a sore thumb now! It will be an adventure, esp since we are vacationing with our dd who will be four by then! here's to all our new adventures! PS should I not mention that it was a sunny, gorgeous 78 degree day today? hehe
~ Stylz ~
on 2/14/08 3:27 am - North of Boston, MA
that is so exciting that you were able to meet your brother and have the new confidence to take on the world, you deserve it, you're an exquisite person with a wonderful personality I'm so glad we've gotten to meet!! As far as my changes go, I can say I'm more confident showing our space at work and handling events whi*****ludes hosting/mingling with guests type of thing. That and (to no ones surprise I'm sure lol) clothes shopping is insanely fun! Smaller clothes, better styles, great bargins, its so fun to pick out suits and outfits to wear!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views