$$$ Return on Investment $$$

Stephanie Smiles
on 2/11/08 5:52 pm - My Town, NH
Good morning! I've been having lots of financial thoughts lately. For example, what will our tax return look like? What is happening to the economy and how will that affect us long term? How can we save more each year and spend less? That caused me to begin examining whether or not losing 145 pounds costs me more money each week or saves me money. Many people would say that since I eat less, my weekly grocery bill should be significantly less. That hasn't proven to be true. I now spend less in quantity but more in quality. I buy fresh vegetables more often than canned. I eat more salad which requires fresh purchases each week. Deli meat is expensive as is other lean meat. I stay away from processed foods which tend to be cheaper than whole foods. So, in reality, I'd say that my grocery bill has stayed the same or even increased some. Also, I take seven different vitamins/herbs each day. That certainly is an expense I didn't have prior to surgery. And, I've had to replace my wardrobe...several times! That has definitely slowed down in the last six months but I am finding myself facing spring with very few things to wear, especially to work. I also spend more on myself in other ways (i.e. hair appointments, make-up, etc.) I think I care more about my appearance and that incurs expense. I enjoy doing things now so I spend money on things like concerts or summer vacations that I didn't before surgery. So, did losing 145 pounds create a more expensive lifestyle for me? At first glance, the answer might be yes. It's the long term picture that tells the true story. I can honestly say that I have not been ill nearly as often as I was before losing the weight. I've missed far fewer days of work in the last two years. That translates to fewer doctor's visits and fewer co-pays. I don't eat fast food anymore. I was a fast food eater for lunch at least three out of five days each week. It's far less expensive for me to bring my healthy lunch than it is to eat at McDonalds. Now, a "normal" meal from McDonalds might not be that much. But I was never content with a "normal" meal. It was more like two meals. A definite savings in that category! The clothes that I buy will be worn for a longer time period. As I continued to gain weight, I had to buy larger and larger sizes. I also had to shop at specialty stores and couldn't take advantage of sales in regular stores. Larger sizes are larger prices. So maybe I'm breaking even these days. What I do know for a fact is that the cost of my obesity was rising each day. Shortly, I would have been on medications for high blood pressure, diabetes, and probably a host of other maladies. Of course, a dollar amount cannot be assigned to all of the other benefits I've received. Increased confidence, feeling more secure in a room full of people, flying without a seat belt extender, and enjoying life through increased activity are all priceless in my book. Below is a short list of some of the costs of obesity. It's staggering and the figures only continue to grow. I'm glad, whether I'm spending more or less on life since surgery, that I'm no longer contributing to these costs! Hugs, Stephanie ************************************************************** Cost of Obesity Obesity adds 20 days of lost productivity per year per obese employee, a cost of $5,350. (Source: Hughes Electronics Study on presenteeism) Taxpayers foot the doctor's bill for more than half of obesity-related medical costs, which reached a total of $75 billion in 2003, according to a new study. The public pays about $39 billion a year -- or about $175 per person -- for obesity through Medicare and Medicaid programs, which cover sicknesses caused by obesity including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, several types of cancer and gallbladder disease. What is the cost of overweight and obesity? Total cost: $117 billion , Direct cost: $61 billion,* Indirect cost: $56 billion (comparable to the economic costs of cigarette smoking) What is the cost of heart disease related to overweight and obesity? Direct cost: $8.8 billion (17 percent of the total direct cost of heart disease, independent of stroke) What is the cost of type 2 diabetes related to overweight and obesity? Total cost: $98 billion (in 2001) What is the cost of osteoarthritis related to overweight and obesity? Total cost: $21.2 billion, Direct cost: $5.3 billion, Indirect cost: $15.9 billion What is the cost of hypertension (high blood pressure) related to overweight and obesity? Direct cost: $4.1 billion (17 percent of the total cost of hypertension) What is the cost of gallbladder disease related to overweight and obesity? Total cost: $3.4 billion, Direct cost: $3.2 billion, Indirect cost: $187 million What is the cost of cancer related to overweight and obesity? Breast cancer: Total cost: $2.9 billion, Direct cost: $1.1 billion, Indirect cost: $1.8 billion Endometrial cancer: Total cost: $933 million, Direct cost: $310 million, Indirect cost: $623 million Colon cancer: Total cost: $3.5 billion, Direct cost: $1.3 billion, Indirect cost: $2.2 billion What is the cost of lost productivity related to obesity? The cost of lost productivity related to obesity (BMI > 30) among Americans ages 17-64 is $3.9 billion. This value considers the following annual numbers (for 1994): Workdays lost related to obesity: 39.3 million Physician office visits related to obesity: 62.7 million Restricted activity days related to obesity: 239.0 million Bed-days related to obesity: 89.5 million
Rick A.
on 2/12/08 12:56 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, Thanks for the information. I can't wrap my head around some of those huge numbers. I know for me, I agree with you that I probably have broken even. I have always been very thrifty with my clothes shoppinig, but it was increasingly difficult to get clothes in the larger sizes. I can now but clothes at any store. I have become a clothes horse. My closet is full. Last week I bought a leather jacket (on sale and J.C. Penneys, 75% off). I would never have considered doing that in the past. I still am trying to figure out if I'm a "leather jacket" kind of guy or not. My food costs are probably about the same with the same rationale you used above. I eat less, but the food I eat costs more. I know I am sick a lot less and no longer take medication, but I take a lot of vitamins and supplements. The benefit of being healthy completely out weighs the additional costs involved is staying this way. There is no price tag on feeling great and living life to it's fullest. Thanks for the though provoking post. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/12/08 1:00 am - My Town, NH
Hiya Rick! I think you're definitely a "leather jacket" kind of guy! We bought my husband one for 75% off too, and he loves it! I say, wear it and wear it proudly. I agree that feeling great and living a full life is priceless. I'm so glad we all that opportunity now. Hugs, Stephanie
RebekaA
on 2/12/08 2:19 am - Inland Empire, CA
Very interesting, insightful post. I totally agree with you about what dh (also RNY patient) and I spend now. Even though we ate pretty healthy before WLS (just more quantity obviously,) I never saw a decrease in what we spend on food. Not to mention our new added expenses of costly supplements and protein powders. We spend a ton now! totally worth it though. I definitely save on TON on clothes now tho, I never realized quite how expensive Lane Bryant was!--but I blow any savings due to QUANTITY now--I shop a LOT more! oh well. like you said tho, in the long term--we're saving a bundle! (((hugs)))
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/12/08 5:08 am - My Town, NH
I figure that spending less per item of clothing means that I can simply buy more items! My husband isn't convinced that is the case. But I am! Have a great day!
~ Stylz ~
on 2/14/08 1:50 am - North of Boston, MA
wow great thought and statistics, its interesting to see it on (virtual) "paper"! I thought completely like you did, having the surgery would cost me less, but it has cost me much more in expenses than it did pre-op more. I was eating junk and so much of it (as most of us were), but now.. veggies, whole grains, fresh fruit, orgainic dairy and free range grass fed meats cost WAY more than what I paid for food, junk food, take out, expensive clothes, medications, dr. visits, etc, etc! good thing i'm up for a review soon at work
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views