MARCHers and goal!

jennb40
on 2/5/08 7:34 pm - Nashua, NH
" Anyone can live without motivation, but you live your best when you are inspired."...Allen Steble We don't want you to live without motivation, so we try to give you a little each day. Truly when you are inspired you will do your best and perhaps we can help a bit with your inspiration! Today my subject is a little off...but necessary perhaps for all of us...MUSCLE UP WITH MIND GAMES.... We all try to inspire to exercise and get some fitness, but we are thinking for our bodies. What about our thinking caps? Across the country, adults are doing exercises designed to firm up their mental muscles in the same way push-ups or jumping jacks result in better physical condition. People's brains don't necessarily deteriorate with age as scientist once believed. New research is showing that the more mentally active people are, the better their brains seem to work. Here are some suggestions to help you get into the mind game and some will definintely help your body as well: 1. take up chess, cribbage, backgammon or bridge 2. enroll in a course in Greek, Chinese, or Portuguese 3. learn to play the piano or write a short story 4. sign up for ballroom dancing or tai chi 5. study oil painting or metal sculpting 6. volunteer to teach English to immigrants 7. prepare a dish you've never made before Do you see a pattern in each of these mind games? They all require physical activity in addition to brain activity. Just think - signing up for ballroom dancing or tai chi helps not only your brain - but your physical body also. So in closing...exercise - not only your body, but your brain also! In addition - today - take your vitamins, drink your water and make protein your first food choice. Sharpen up those minds and bodies MARCHers! Hugs to all...Barbara
Rick A.
on 2/6/08 12:29 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, Those are some great ideas. Years ago I used to square dance. It may sound a little corny, but it was great exercise. It was also good clean fun and it was a very social thing to do. I would like to get back into that again, but it can be a pain in the keaster working shift work. My shifts change every two months so it is hard to take a class or join a club. Maybe with my new promotion I can work something out, but I don't know yet. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/6/08 12:40 am - My Town, NH
Rick, congratulations on your new promotion! That's just great! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 2/6/08 1:59 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, Thank you. Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 2/6/08 12:39 am - My Town, NH
My mind could definitely use some fun games! My husband and I love to play cribbage. I tried to learn bridge once but it's very complicated and I didn't play enough to really understand it. Backgammon is fun too. Once my classes are complete, I plan to learn to knit. I can knit one stitch but that's about it! I've also always wanted to teach English as a second language. I think it would be very rewarding. I think the trick is finding that elusive balance in life. Family, work, and play seem to all fight for attention. I read this great article by someone at Harvard about balancing all of the committments we have. We Americans like to cram as much as we can into the day. Even children don't have as much leisure time anymore. I'd like to find a way to balance everything and be healthy! Thanks for your inspiration! I'm going to make time for a few cribbage games with hubby this weekend. It will be good for us to spend some time together just relaxing! Have a great day! Hugs, Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views