Tuesday's Tips!

Stephanie Smiles
on 1/21/08 10:10 pm - My Town, NH
Good morning MARCHers! Are we ready for a great Tuesday? I feel like a cheerleader without the pom poms! I wonder if it's too late for me to try out for the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders??? I certainly know a ton about football and I am originally from Texas. I'm not sure my high kicks are up to snuff. I'll have to work on that! So today I'm thinking about protein. I know that I tend to grab carbs when I snack and I'd like to start grabbing more protein. I found the article below on quick protein tips. Some weeks I do boil eggs and keep them in the fridge for a quick snack or breakfast. Cottage cheese and I don't get along very well...I just don't care for the taste. The others are great ideas. I wish I could stomach the protein shakes, but I just can't seem to get them down. What are your tips for getting in your protein? I'd love some additional ideas! I'm going to focus on increasing my protein intake by 20 grams per day and see if that helps the scale move at all. Have a great day! Hugs, Stephanie ************************************************** Quick & Easy Protein Tips Easy & delicious ways to add more protein to each of your meals... Getting enough protein in your diet is a key ingredient for both weight loss success AND muscle-building success. Protein boosts your metabolism while stabilizing blood sugar and insulin levels. It's also what your body uses to build muscle tissue - so if you're doing any type of weight training you really need protein in each and every meal you eat. But, if you're a busy person (as most of use are) you probably know how difficult it can be find fast, easy protein snacks that actually taste good. Yes, you can buy some protein bars and instant powders, but these get old after awhile, especially if they're your main "snack" foods. Even the good-tasting protein powders are easy to get sick of after a week or two. Here are some good "real food" sources of protein which are quick and easy to prepare (and use)... * hard-boiled eggs: eat them plain or chop them up and mix in some light mayo for healthy egg salad * cottage cheese: the individually sized packs are a convenient and VERY healthy source of protein * chicken breasts: cook 4 or 5 on Sunday night and use them as a quick "protein boost" on salads or in sandwiches * tuna: the new easy-open pouches and cans make it easier than ever to take this delicious fish with you * string cheese: the low-fat kind makes a delicious mid-afternoon snack at work * skim and low-fat milk are also decent protein options if nothing else is available. Just try to get an "organic" brand.
jennb40
on 1/21/08 10:22 pm - Nashua, NH
Thanks for the Tuesday Tips. Can't wait to see what Wednesday's word will be! You know I actually like hard-boiled eggs. An option for stuffing them without alot of extra calories - add a little mustard...yes mustard instead of mayo and a little vinegar, tiny dash of splenda and dash of salt. You would be surprised how good that tastes and is a little less dry than the eggs. They will keep a couple of days in the frig. I started the 5-day pouch test this morning. Already had 2 bottles of water, sugar free hot chocolate with skim milk (simply smart) and a protein shake made with milk is in the freezer getting ready for my slush goodie in about 30 minutes. I am off to the gym at lunch for some elliptical (sp). So day one of 5DPT is underway. If you have to be a cheerleader - can't it be for the Patriots instead of Dallas? You would be too cute!!!! Thanks again for the tips! You are doing a great job motivating us this week - a cheerleader you definitely are - whether for football or MARCHers!!! Barb
Stephanie Smiles
on 1/22/08 3:02 am - My Town, NH
GO BARBARA GO! You're doing great so far on your pouch test! I could certainly cheer for the Patriots though their outfits aren't as cute as Dallas. I don't think either team will hire me! Good luck with the rest of the day on your pouch test. You can do it! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 1/22/08 11:43 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, Thanks for the tips. It amazes me how different everyone is and their tastes are also so different. I have never had a problem with proetein shakes. I never liked cottage cheese before, but now I would choose that over ice cream. I mix yogurt in my cottage cheese to give it more flavor and I can only stand the small curd type. I mix hard boiled eggs with my tuna and mayo and have that over salad for one of my meals when I am working. It is quite filling and tasty. I also have peanut for my snack. You are doing great keeping us going. I think you would make a great cheerleader. Have a great day (what is left of it). Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 1/22/08 9:45 pm - My Town, NH
Rick, I'm so envious of your ability to drink protein shakes! I wish I could! I'm going to try the tuna and eggs over salad idea. It sounds like a very fresh combination to eat for lunch and I know tuna is very filling. I practically lived on it in those early days! I love nuts too. The crunch is very satisfying and keeps me from eating chips! Hope your Tuesday was a good one! Hugs, Stephanie
~ Stylz ~
on 1/23/08 11:28 pm - North of Boston, MA
are you kidding?? with all that spinning at the gym you'll have legs for high kicks, low kicks even field goal kicks!! thanks for the tips on protein, I've been looking at my online journal and noticing im not getting in enough even with a protein shake!! must be all that baking! lol
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 829 views