We are the lucky ones

Rick A.
on 1/9/08 6:37 pm - Far Northern, CA
I hope each of us realize how lucky we are to be in this stage of our journey. There are still many people that are battling with insurance companies to gain approval for their surgeries. Some people are on pre-op diets and others are struggling with those first few weeks of the liquid diet and possibly the pain associated with a major surgical procedure. We sometimes complain because we are "X" number of pounds away from our goal. The others still can only dream about being this close to a goal that may have been set for them and they think is far from attainable. I'm sure each of us knows someone that would greatly benefit from the gift we sought out and were lucky enough to have been given. My mother is 75 years old and has been morbidly obese for over 40 years. She has high blood pressure, phlebitis, sleep apnea, congestive heart failure and a host of other problems that probably could be attributed to her weight. I often think that "if only" she could have had the opportunity to have this surgery her life would have been so different. She never complains, but it has been hard on her. She raised seven sons on her own and it wasn't easy. The option of this surgery came too late in her life but I feel it is my duty to honor her by making the most of this gift I have been given. Just remember we are the lucky ones to have come as far as we have. Be happy with yourself and be eager to help others along their lives path no matter where they are in their personal journey. Life is great, Rick
jennb40
on 1/9/08 8:36 pm - Nashua, NH
Yes we are all lucky indeed. With the exception of a few of us, we all seem to be doing fine and very healthy. My prayers and thoughts remain with MarJean and Laura A. We haven't heard from Laura lately and I hope she had a nice holiday and continues to heal. Bless your mother's heart. I do see with my own sister the hostage her body has made her from morbid obesity. She is in a catch 22 - if you will - she doesn't feel like moving, but if she would or could I dare say she would feel more like moving. Unfortunately because of her mental retardness she is a prisoner of her mind and also her body. Because of her mental problems I don't think she would at all be a candidate for WLS and it is unfortunate. Same as well for your mom not being able to have this life saving surgery. You are a good son and she is indeed fortunate to have you looking after her. Thanks for reminding us how lucky we are - sometimes we forget I think. Barbara
Rick A.
on 1/10/08 3:10 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, Thank you for your kind words. I wish there was an answer for your sister and my mom, but oh well, I guess we have to play with the cards that are dealt to us. Have a great day, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views