Trying a new exercise strategy.

BabyRuth2u
on 1/7/08 8:24 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Yesterday DH and I went out and bought an elliptical machine. We had been tossing around the idea of buying a treadmill for awhile now. I just have not been able to get myself to the gym like I should. You all know how hard it is, how you have to make yourself get there after work etc. So I thought perhaps if I had a treadmill at home that would be a good idea. I felt like there'd be no problem wanting to hop on it at night while watching tv or something. So we saw them in the paper yesterday morning and thought we'd go take a look. DH says what about an elliptical, they are easier on the knees etc. and for him that would be a plus. He has always had trouble with them, he's only 35 and already for years they've bothered him. Doc said it was from playing on them so much as a kid. So anyways... I said, that sounds fine to me, we'll look at both and see. We decided on an ellipitical. It took a few hours to put it together but I think we got it right. LOL I'll see how I do with it. I still have about 2 months left on my gym membership for the year. I'm not sure yet whether I want to give it u*****t yet, I'll see when renewal time comes. But for now, I plan on every night getting on the elliptical and getting a workout. I've done about 10 mins so far before preparing dinner and will be back on it in a bit. I must say they are much more of a workout than a treadmill. LOL I've used the ones in the gym a few times, but never worked at it to build up. Usually do the treadmill and other exercise. I have hand weights, stretchy band things, thigh masters etc at home and you don't need a gym to do crunches, so I'm going to give this home gym thing a try. Oh, and forgot we have this other machine in our spare bedroom which has been a great clothes valet since last year we picked up at a Goodwill type store, got it for $7, its a rider type machine. You sit on it and pull on the handles, push on the legs type. So we unclothed that and put it next to the elliptical. I think we're on our way to our own gym. LOL DH is on that riding machine right now. He's going to hold off a few pounds before he gets on the elliptical. it says max weight 250 and he's about 265 right now. wow, just had a Wow moment. I just realized I've always had to worry about weight limits on stuff and now I don't. I can use the elliptical and not worry my WEIGHT will break it. LOL
BelindaOBX
on 1/7/08 10:43 am - Mount Gilead, NC
I'm going to try to do the gym 3-4 times aweek. I don't have to try to go to the gym. I'm an occupational therapist and our outpatient therapy area is within the fitness center. So I have to pass the equipment to go home. Even with that it's been hard to do more than 2 times a week. I bought an XL glider for home. I need to something on the weekend and it has been too cold to ride my bike. I havn't gotten it yet, hopefully it will do the trick to get my heart rate up. I have wanted an elipitcal for home, but hadn't wanted to spend the money. I also wasn't sure how it would work in comparison to the one at the fitness center. How do you like your machine so far? What kind did you get? It so nice to not be over the weight limit. Belinda
jennb40
on 1/7/08 7:38 pm - Nashua, NH
Funny, I tried the elliptical at the gym I joined the other day and liked it. It was just a quick test as I had never tried one before and I think I will like it. Sounds like you are developing you own home gym!!! Have fun and let us know how you like it. This time of year when it gets dark so early, it is nice to be home and not having to go back out again. That is why I am looking forward to the gym at work - do it during lunch and get it over with. Thanks for keeping us motivated! Barb
Stephanie Smiles
on 1/7/08 9:49 pm - My Town, NH
Ruth Ann, I love how quickly the eliptical burns calories!! I was on the eliptical at my gym this morning for 30 minutes and burned 333 calories. That's a great return on my investment! I can really push myself some days and I think this machine gives me the best cardio workout of all of them. My husband has also started using it at the gym. It kicks his butt (as it does mine!) but he loves it! Good luck! Hugs, Stephanie
~ Stylz ~
on 1/8/08 3:43 am - North of Boston, MA
congratulations on your new investment RuthAnn! now theres no excuse on the days when you cant make it to the gym. I bought a treadmill because of that, I'd always have an excuse why I wasn't exercising (even used the too hot, too cold, too rainy excuses for walking outside) but now theres no excuse. congrats on your great start to 2008!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views