MARCHers going and at goal!

jennb40
on 12/19/07 7:42 pm - Nashua, NH
Joy increases as you give it, and diminishes as you try to keep it for yourself. In giving it, you will accumulate a deposit of joy greater than you ever believed possible.....Norman Vincent Peale Give some joy today and see how it makes you feel. For today, don't worry about me, myself and I rather do something to make someone else happy. Now that doesn't necessarily mean to eat all those goodies at the office party because it will bring joy to the "makers" of the goodies! As you know I work in Boston and tool around at lunch time trying to get my 10,000 steps in. Along my journey there is my "favorite" begger. He is a 60+ black man who is so friendly to everyone - I guess because he wants a donation to his cup. But he never fails to ask - how you doing ma'am...have a good day. So I often stop and talk to him a second and find out how he is doing. Many days he is outside my favorite Dunkin Donuts where I stop for my iced tea and I will ask him if he wants hot chocolate or coffee and get him a cup. He is so gracious in his thanks. Sometimes I just give him a few bucks to which again he is so thankful. Now I like to think he probably uses it in a worthwhile manner, like food or something, but I expect it probably fuels his whiskey habit - although I have never seen him with liquor or even seeming to be in a stupor! Last year I wanted to bring him home for Christmas, which my hubby reasoned some reasoning in me. I really wouldn't have brought him home I don't think, but did think about it! He spent several days in the hospital last winter with a heart problem and I am glad when I see him out on the streets and know he is still here...although I wonder how many cold harsh winters he can survive. He tells me he sleeps on the floor in a nearby shelter. I don't know his life story...I don't know what sent him to the streets - but I do know he is the "nicest" beggar I know! So yesterday on the way to the garage after our office party, I saw him walking along on the other side of the street and he hollered across the street hello to me! I like to think he is just friendly and not wanting a handout...do I live behind rose colored glasses or what? So I crossed the street and stopped and talked to him a minute and he asked me about my Christmas plans. I could only think what Christmas will be like for him...I have no idea if he had a family at some point or what leads him to the street. So I had my joy yesterday by whipping out a $20 bill and giving it to him and told him to buy some warm gloves and a scarf for Christmas. I probably should have bought those and given it to him rather than the money, which will probably go for whiskey...but it did bring joy to me to watch his eyes light up and thank me profusely. Now I am not suggesting you go out and give ever beggar on the street $20 to bring about joy...but there are many forms of joy. Find some small way today to think about someone besides yourself and bring joy to another. Worry about our vitamins, water, exercise and protein today and make sure you get them all in...but also worry about someone else who isn't as well off as you. Instead of Clint Eastwoods saying..."MAKE MY DAY" - make your motto today..."MAKE SOMEONE ELSES DAY" and I just know you will feel better about yourself. Hugs to all...Barbara
Rick A.
on 12/20/07 1:06 am - Far Northern, CA
BArbara, You are so kind hearted. I'm sure it will serve you well. I like to see the good in people and I hope they see the good in me. You are a blessing to more people then you realize. Thank you for your inspiring words today and everyday. Likfe is great, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 12/20/07 1:22 am - My Town, NH
I just want to reach out and hug you! I don't think my arms are that long (unless the plastic surgeon made them bionic arms!). I really, really wish we didn't have people in this country without homes, jobs and families to care for them. It obviously brought joy to you to bring joy to that gentleman. Thank you for sharing that with us. I'm going to find a way to help one of my colleagues who is going through a divorce this weekend. She won't ask for help, but I know she must need help in some way. I'll figure it out! Joyful hugs, Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views