Don't forget to look up

Rick A.
on 12/10/07 12:25 pm - Far Northern, CA
I have a bad habit of not looking up when I am walking. I don't know if it is just a bad habit or if I spent years trying to hide behind my obesity? I realize it is important to always be aware of the surface I am waling on, but I think I watch my feet more often then necessary. I find that when I make an effort to look up I realize all of the things I have been missing out on. This time of year I do a lot of my walking in the dark. I am in awe when I gaze upon the stars. This is an incredible universe that we are a part of. There is wildlife and gifts of nature and marvels of man all around us if we just take the time to find them. In our weight loss journey we sometime are too focused on the end result, some magic number that keeps us from enjoying every step we take each day. Take today and just revel in what you have accomplished, enjoy the ride, seize the day. It is important while we are en route to our destination to occasionally look at those highway signs to determine how far we have yet to go. Don't let this distance yet traveled keep you from living each day to its fullest now. Don't beat yourself up because you aren't there yet, just be glad that you are continuing on the right path that will lead you towards that goal. Live life, look up and see what it has to offer. Life is great, Rick
jennb40
on 12/10/07 7:35 pm - Nashua, NH
Thanks for a great message...BUT you know...sometimes I just stop and look around rather than no****ching the pavement because....I am afraid of stumbling and falling on my 'arse'!!!! Walking around Boston can be problematic because of the uneveness of the sidewalks and the ice sometimes precariously laying around waiting for it's next victim! However, I do realize your message is more about "smelling the roses" which I do try to do, but I don't want to have the "roses" blanketing my casket when I fall and break my neck!!!! I am not there yet, but oh so glad to be continuing on the right path. I love living life and if you don't mind...just may stop and look up and see what there is to offer...and then continue on my way watching the pavement! Barb
Rick A.
on 12/10/07 11:58 pm - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, There is a lot to be said for stopping to look around. It makes us more focused on our surroundings and makes us stop to take in the sights and smells. Have a great day, Rick
sngglnclos
on 12/10/07 10:07 pm - sw burbs, MN
Hi Rick I don't post much but I do read and I have to say that you are such an inspiration to me and everyone else I'm sure!! You have such an insight to life and you are so refreshing!! Just wanted to say thanks for being you!
Rick A.
on 12/11/07 12:03 am - Far Northern, CA
Ali, You don't know how much I needed to hear from you today. Sometimes when I write I wonder what my purpose is? I think I am just talking to myself (not that I don't do that anyway). I have gotten so much out of this board and the friends I have made here. I am glad that I am able to pay a little back. I sometimes wonder how long I will be able to come up with something new to write, but for now I will continue. Thanks for lifting me up. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 12/10/07 11:51 pm - My Town, NH
I think I didn't look up because I didn't want to make eye contact with anyone. I also didn't want to see the judgement on their faces as they observed a super morbidly obese person walking down the street. It's a difficult habit to break but I do try to look up now. You're so right about enjoying the journey. I tend to be too goal oriented in most areas of my life. I've barely met one goal before I'm focused on the next one. This goes for weight goals, jobs, academics, just about everything. I decided early on in my WLS journey that it would be important for me to enjoy each accomplishment and reward myself in some manner. Once I reach 199 pounds I'll be treating myself to my first ever massage. I hope that day gets here soon!!!! Waiting for things is not my forte! We do need to enjoy the here and now. There is much to be enjoyed each and every day. Thanks for a great post! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 12/11/07 12:10 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, I can so agree with what you have written in your first paragraph. I didn't want to make eye contact with people. I didn't want to or see the comments that people were making. I still think they people are talking about me when they make a "fat" comment. The other day I donated blood and the woman at the desk was handing out T shirts, she said all she has was an extra large. My first thought was she knows that wasn't going to fit me, but then I realized she must have meant that it really was going to be to big for me. I still have trouble wrapping my head around that. Have a great day, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views