Did you treat yourself?

Rick A.
on 10/31/07 12:42 pm - Far Northern, CA
After a day, a weekend or a vacation of treating yourself what do you do? Do you throw in the towel and just say "oh well, I'm a failure" I may as well not even try any longer or do you just take it for what it was, a break from our new eating lifestyle. In the past my style when I was on a diet was just to say to myself that I screwed up so why continue trying? Now I try to get back on the program again and start over. I think its okay to take a small break every now and then, but we need to realize that we must get back to basics to achieve the life long results we hope to attain. It is also easy to do the same thing when we break a routine in our exercise program. The longer we stray from doing the right thing the harder it is to get back on track. The lesson to be learned is that we all treat ourselves, but as soon as possible try to reestablish the routine that has helped us achieve the success we have thus far. It is never to last to start over. It is never too late to be successful and what you truly want to achieve. Today is a new day. Make the most of it. Life is great, Rick
Lauren003
on 10/31/07 10:27 pm - , NC
Amen! When I was nearly 500 pounds I admit that I thought 'What's the point?' when really, that's when I should have been the most adament. I just saw a HUGE mountain that I had to climb and I was at the bottom and already physically and emotionally exhausted. Now, I see can see a beautiful meadow through the trees as I stroll downhill and life is a thrill instead of a burden. It amazes me how just having the hope of a long and happy life can give me the strength to want to continue.
Rick A.
on 11/1/07 1:19 am - Far Northern, CA
Lauren, Thank you for painting such a pretty picture. I agree with you totally. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/31/07 11:38 pm - My Town, NH
Good morning! This topic is great. I've worked hard to get out of the "I've failed and it's over" mentality. It's been tough. Just because I slip up, doesn't mean I can't be successful the next meal, day or even week. I agree with Lauren that that's the sort of mentality that got me in trouble in the first place. Now I know that if I screw up, getting back on track is indeed worth it. Thanks for the reminder! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 11/1/07 1:45 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, I think some of this comes with maturity. Does that me we are getting old? I hope not. Have a great day, Rick
RebekaA
on 11/1/07 1:30 am - Inland Empire, CA
I've read that is one of the keys to successfully maintaining long term--getting right back on the horse and not letting a little slip become a week long binge! This has become easier for me even just in the last year. Now I feel like I have too much to lose and have worked too hard to slip back now. I've never tested this long term yet, say on a vacation or anything, but I"m happy to say so far so good.
Rick A.
on 11/1/07 1:53 am - Far Northern, CA
Rebeka, I agree with you. This is the key to a successful life and healty future. The few times I have been on vacation I have not worried too much about what I have eaten. I do think that now I just make better choices then I used to out of habit. Also I tend to be a lot more active on vacations then I used to be and that also helps. We certainly don't want to go back where we came from. Have a great day, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 11/1/07 3:13 am - North of Boston, MA
your post hit the nail on the head for me Rick! I found my "sweet" spot (which is at goal, but in the words of the WLS clinic) and love it there. I had the flu and lost 3 lbs and felt I looked sickly just losing 3 lbs so I told myself I would gain the 3 back and be happy... Well peanut butter has taken over my life!!! I find myself eating a Tbsp of it here and there, adding it to fruits, crackers, anything I can because its "protein", fat, good for you (in moderation of course) and my pouch LOVES it. In 2 weeks I gained not only the 3 I wanted to, but 3 more! thats my "screw up" for the week, now to star****ching my food intake a little closer and lose the 3 extra lbs again..
Rick A.
on 11/1/07 6:29 am - Far Northern, CA
Well at least you realized the error of your weighs (pun intended). I try to keep myself within a 5 pound range. I also weigh 50 or so pounds more then you do, so I guess 2 to 3 percent range seems reasonable to me. You are doing great, Take care, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views