Trick yourself into being more active

Rick A.
on 10/29/07 2:08 pm - Far Northern, CA
Many of you have gotten new pedometers. Now you can see the difference in the number of steps you actually take during the day. It is always a good idea to set a goal and then once you have achieved your goal you can increase the amount of steps you are taking during the day. Some ways to increase our walking is to park further away from our job or store we are shopping at. We can also take the stairs instead of the elevator. All of these extra steps do add up. I suppose we could also give up the remote control and actually get up to change the channel on the television. I don't know that I'm willing to do that for my health. LOL. I don'****ch that much TV anymore anyway. So what do you do to sneak in a little extra exercise during the day? Have a great day, Rick
jannineh99
on 10/29/07 11:50 pm - Melrose, MA
It is funny you say trick yourself into being more active..I have been trying to do that but I guess the endorphins (sp) kick in and it is not like sneaking it in...I just don't want to stop...I have recently taken up the rowing machine and the first 15 min I struggle and decide I want to stop then I figure well I can get to 20 min it is only 5 min longer and then I get there and decide on a 5 min cool down and then I get to only 5 min away from 30 min how can I quit now..and then boom it happens I don't want to get off the rower now...so now I am up to 45 min on the rower..I am starting to like it more than the tredmill these days anyway...I found a new feature to my cable and they have an On Demand Exercise section and it is free...so gonna try it later on and they have a session with Lesile Sansone (sp)Walk and Tone..so wish me luck in sneaking that in today... Jannine
Rick A.
on 10/30/07 1:02 am - Far Northern, CA
Jannine, You are really moving right along. I find at the end of my walks that I sometimes wish I could go on, but usually don't due to time constraints. You certainly have turned out to be the star on our walk across the country. Keep up the good work. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/30/07 1:03 am - My Town, NH
Mornin' Rick! I take the stairs and park further away as well. I also try to walk more quickly. That seems to increase my energy level sometimes. We have three floors in my building and sometimes I will actually go visit someone instead of sending them an email. It's more personal and gets me moving. Have a wonderful Tuesday! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 10/30/07 1:55 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, It sounds like you are making the most of your new found energy. Keep up the good work. Have a great day, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 10/30/07 4:13 am - North of Boston, MA
great ideas, but I'm with you... the remote is a necessity I've been doing more stairs at work and need to start parking further away more often! I find myself parking further away at the grocery store, but the mall I'm not that far.. maybe I'm just anxious to get into the mall and shop?? (need to change that too) boy those resolutions are adding uP! lol
Rick A.
on 10/30/07 5:12 am - Far Northern, CA
I'm glad I have never been a shopper. I'm not sure if it is a good thing that my wife is the dedicated shopper or not? The good thing about resolutions is that you can always start over if you need to. Take care, Rick
layddi
on 10/30/07 4:53 am - Pico Rivera, CA
You know Rick, ever since I got my little "Buddy" (Omoron Pedometer) I'm like totally hooked on seeing those steps go up, and I actually make an effort on hitting those 10,000 steps. I'm actually having fun keeping count, although sometimes it's hard but it's a start.
Rick A.
on 10/30/07 5:15 am - Far Northern, CA
Di De, If you have to get hooked on something, walking and counting is a great thing. It's such a good feeling to see them add up. Have a great day, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views