More about looks

Rick A.
on 10/15/07 1:53 pm - Far Northern, CA
I have been told by a few people that I don't look like the same person that I used to be. I really don't know how to react to that comment. I want them to understand that I still am the same person, I just might not be the same size. I also have to wonder if I really am the same person? I am more healthy, more active and in general a happier person. I don't feel like everyday I am being watched for what I eat and that those around me expect that I am going to fail at this endeavor as I have failed at all of the other weight loss attempts in the past. Do you perceive yourself as the same person you were a year and a half ago? Have you grown in some ways while your body shrunk? Are you comfortable with the person you have become? Are you like me and still a work in progress?
jennb40
on 10/15/07 9:22 pm - Nashua, NH
You know I guess I am a whacky person who does consider myself as the same person I was a year and a half ago. I have always tried to be a loving, considerate, polite individual who thinks if you are good to people they will be good to you and for the most part that has always happened in my life. I have always been surrounded by wonderful family members, for 7 years by a remarkable husband, by 2 wonderful children and 3 step-children, 3 grandchildren and lovely friends and co-workers. I have always been a mostly happy person - made up my mind a long time ago that you lived longer if you were and not to fret over those things you cannot change. I have mostly lived by the serenity prayer: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference. I have accepted many things in my life that could have gotten me down....growing up with a retarded sister, being totally responsible for her now, a controlling mother who thought my sister was a "special gift from God" and I was just - "here"....my parent's divorce and my father's tragedy with alcohol and untimely death, an unhappy marriage for 30 years that I stayed in for my children. Yet, I know that many people have many more obstacles to face in daily living so I have contented myself with finding things that make me happy - one of them for many years being food. I feel like my past has made me the person I am today, through my trials and tribulations. So I am definitely comfortable with the thinner, healthier person I have become. I live now knowing I will live longer to enjoy my wonderful husband, children and beautiful grandchildren and many family members and friends. I think I am the same person I was before WLS - just healthier and thinner. Stepping off my box now....Barbara
Rick A.
on 10/16/07 1:15 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, Thank you for being a happy, positive influence to all of us. You have been through a lot and are a better person for your life experiences. I think you are right in that we choose whether we want to be happy or not. I choose happy. I'm glad you did too. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/15/07 10:38 pm - My Town, NH
Good morning Rick. Yup, I'm still me too. I don't think I'm much different than I was 140 pounds ago. There is less of my physically, but the inside is still the same. I wouldn't even say that my lifestyle has changed much. Oh, except I shop more! I certainly don't worry about as much as I used to (fitting in seats, etc.) and I am definitely more active. Those are all great improvements and contribute to my overall happiness. I'm still getting used to my body and all of it's changes. I think that will continue to be a process for a long time. That's okay. I'll just continue this journey and see where it leads. Great post for today! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 10/16/07 1:25 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, I think it's great that you are still the same person. I wonder if others perceive us as being the same? It is nice not to have the worries of clothing shopping or fitting into regular seats or booths at a restaurant. Life is indeed better. Have a great day, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 10/20/07 11:44 am - North of Boston, MA
I can't tell you how many times people say they dont recognize me. At first I thought it was strange because inside I know I'm the same person I've always been, but as more people said it, it made me feel they think I'm different in more than just being a smaller person. Maybe its because I dont see these people all the time, but at this point, my weight is stable, my looks are the same and my personality is as it always has been.. the same so what gives
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views