Marcher's keep it interesting

Rick A.
on 10/10/07 12:24 pm - Far Northern, CA
In order to do something day after day we have to find a way to keep it interesting. So my question for you walkers is how do you keep it interesting? When I was a kid my mom (who raised 7 boys) used to tell us to "go outside and count cars". I think she was looking for some quiet time? Anyway, I couldn't just count cars. I had to make a chart and categorize them. I sorted them by type of vehicle, color etc. So now that I am walking about 5 miles a day, I have to find ways to make everyday a new experience. Most of the time I walk alone and I spend a lot of time just thinking. Mostly that is a good thing. Sometimes I think about what I want to post here. Sometimes I run the events of the day through my mind. When I don't want to think at all, I count trucks. I know it sounds silly, but I count big rigs. Not just any big rigs, but only certain nationwide carriers. Okay, quit laughing. It takes my mind off the troubles of the world and it gets me around the block. So my question of you is how do you make the mundane "chore" of exercise interesting? Have a great day, Rick
jennb40
on 10/10/07 7:57 pm - Nashua, NH
Well, today I have a different day on board! As I may have told you guys, I work for the state for the Division of Unemployment Insurance and I process unemployment insurance claims for military folks getting out of the service. So today I have been asked by a group of veteran representatives to speak at their convention about unemployment insurance for ex-military personnel. There is to be a group of about 250 people. I don't usually talk to that many people at one time and believe it or not, I don't have as many butterflies as I would have had at 379 pounds!!! I am actually looking forward to it - mainly because it is a subject I know very well and I love my job because it helps those guys and gals returning from Iraq or military personnel at the end of their enlistment. I have to travel about 75 miles to the place where I am giving the talk - in a quiet little town in MA. So I thought since the hotel is downtown, after I give my speech, think I will do my daily walking around the downtown area and see some sights I haven't seen before!!!! This time of year is beautiful and that keeps me motivated. Crisp cool fall days are invigorating!!!! So this is how I will keep in interesting today! Barbara
Rick A.
on 10/11/07 1:04 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, You will do great. You are a positive person and have a lot of knowledge to share. It sure makes a difference to like you job. I know I enjoy mine because it is different every day. Enjoy your walk and seeing the sights. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/10/07 11:10 pm - My Town, NH
Okay, now every time I'm out walking and see a big rig I'm going to laugh! At least I'll be smiling! I try to vary my exercise at the gym and I have my spinning twice a week. That seems to be working okay for now. After I'm all done with school I may try to pick up another type of group fitness class. I seem to be very motivated in those type of classes. Plus, once I commit to something that involves other people, I'm not likely to skip it. Have a great day! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 10/11/07 1:23 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, I haven't even told my wife about the counting trucks thing. She would think I was nuts. Maybe she already does. I feel like a dork, am I the only one that doesn't know what spinning is? It's good that you enjoy activities with other people. I'm a little more of a loaner and enjoy my thinking time. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/11/07 2:02 am - My Town, NH
Rick, I can't comment on the nuts part but you're definitely not a dork! Here's a link about spinning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_cycling if you're interested. It's fun and quite a workout. It's weird. I don't like working out with friends or family, but I do enjoy group classes. Perhaps I'm the one who's nuts! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 10/11/07 3:05 am - Far Northern, CA
Thanks Stephanie, I also thought that was just riding an exercise bike. I didn't know it had a fancy name. I guess I'm just one of those that if I'm going to ride a bicycle I want to see something. I don't like to walk on a tread mill for the same reason. Oh well, just call me old fashion. Thanks for the info. Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views