Marcher's is it worth it?

Rick A.
on 10/9/07 2:38 pm - Far Northern, CA
I have learned that it takes 3500 calories burned to lose a pound of weight. The problem is that we have to burn that many more calories then we consume. So the next time you have to make a food choice try to think about if it is worth the effort it will take to burn the food you are about to consume. Sometimes, it is. We make choices everyday. What really maters is the end result. If we make the right choices more often then the poor choices we should end up where we want to be. There have been times when I have walked three miles and then got home and had a few cookies. Was that the right thing to do? Probably not, but I may have had the cookies anyway and at least I expended the effort needed to counterbalance the calories I was about to consume. I don't have a problem with treating myself as long as I realize it is just that "a treat". I can't do it everyday or I won't realize the goals that I have set for myself. Everything is a trade off, just realize what you are gaining and what you are giving away. Do I always make the right choice? No. Do I always pay for it in one way or another? You betcha. But, hey we gotta live. So what about you are the choices you are going to make today the right ones for you? Life is great, Rick
Rick A.
on 10/10/07 3:28 am - Far Northern, CA
Okay guys, confession time. Yesterday I was busy. I worked 6 hours then left early to go to my support group meeting which is 100 miles away. I didn't eat right and didn't get in all of my water. So anway I get home about 9:30 p.m. fire up the computer and send off this post. The next thing I do is I go to the fridge and cut myself a piece of chocolate cream pie. Hey I deserved it right? From my post above "Do I always make the right choice? No. Do I always pay for it in one way or another? You betcha." Guess what, I paid for it. I had one of the very few dumping episodes I have ever had. I didn't like it. I hope I remember next time to listen to my own advice. Rick
RebekaA
on 10/10/07 1:14 pm - Inland Empire, CA
ooooh that's a tough one. I ALWAYS find bad/tired days are a BIG issue for me. Food is comfort. Food is love. NOT. At least it used to be. But I understand where you are coming from. WOW, sorry you dumped, but I'm a little impressed you dumped at this stage. The is it worth it frame of mind has been something I employ regularly these last few months. I find it helps me to think of it in terms of time, vs cals. For instance (relating to your candy post,) --it will take me an hour to work off that extra slice of cheese, or candy, or whatever. Since I value my time mostly above all else these days, the translation works well for me. That's why I weigh everyday. I tend to think "do I want to see an extra 2 pounds on that scale in the morning?" It's an easy equation. Is it worth it? Usually not. Have a great night Rick!
Rick A.
on 10/10/07 2:04 pm - Far Northern, CA
Rebeka, I can sure relate to food being comfort and friend. I try not to let it be that way now. It isn't always easy, but it's always worth it. I also can understand your comments about the value of your time. I often feel very selfish when I take the time to go on my walks. I don't want my family to resent that time that I am taking for myself. I feel that I have to walk to find my peace and for my mental health. Thank you for your comments. Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/10/07 10:56 pm - My Town, NH
Rick, I'm so sorry you had a dumping episode! Yuck! Thank you for sharing with us. It's great to know that I'm not the only one who makes mistakes! Hugs, Stephanie
~ Stylz ~
on 10/10/07 4:25 am - North of Boston, MA
my right choices today are going to eat less carbs. I seem to go in spurts eating so many carbs and then the following week its low or complex carbs. Some days oyster crackers feel SO soothing in the stomach that I'd rather eat those instead of focusing on protein like I should. I've been cutting back on bad carbs Tues and today and will try and continue this for a while!
Beckers
on 10/10/07 11:24 am - Cottage Grove, OR
Rick- Thank you for your honesty, and thank you for your commitment to our Marcher board! I know it can't be easy keeping up with all these posts. I want you to know I appreciate you! And... I lost another pound. Heheh so my lowest now is 156 (was staying at 157 so long). I'm not trying to lose, either. I'm where I want to be. But I guess I'm happy about accidentally losing another pound.
Rick A.
on 10/10/07 12:06 pm - Far Northern, CA
Rebecca, Thanks for the support. I get as least as much out of this as I hope I am giving others. It's always nice to see the scale move especially when it is a surprise. My scale also way very good to me this morning, but I wont trust it until I get a few more readings in to confirm it. Have a great day, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views