Fattening fall foods part 2.

Rick A.
on 10/8/07 1:04 pm - Far Northern, CA
5. Cider Who doesn't love a cup of warm cider? You might not want to skip this traditional treat altogether, but with a sugar-laden 200 calories in 16 ounces, the sweet drink should probably be considered a dessert substitute rather than a beverage. 6. Stuffing At 358 calories and 18 grams of fat per cup, there's a reason they call it stuffing. The high-carb turkey companion may be appearing on lots of menus this fall, not to mention its starring role on Thanksgiving Day, but take it easy if you're trying to keep the fall weight gain to a minimum. 7. Candy apple An apple alone is a pretty healthy fall fruit somewhere in the 60-100 calorie range. Coat it in caramel, however, and you have quite a different story. A large candy apple with caramel usually weighs in around 540 calories. Avoiding this autumn treat will be a boon for your dental bills and your figure. 8. Turducken This combo wonderbird is a trendy entree you might want to forgo. It contains turkey, duck and chicken wrapped together for a new twist on the usual Thanksgiving meal. In terms of your diet, that twist may be for the worse: one serving of Turducken has 749 calories and 34.5 grams of fat. Try limiting yourself to one bird and skip the crispy skin. A three-ounce serving of skinless turkey has 130 calories. Okay guys, I have never even heard of a "Turducken". I think I'll leave that to the genetics department. Have a great day, Rick
jannineh99
on 10/8/07 10:47 pm - Melrose, MA
5. Cider Who doesn't love a cup of warm cider? You might not want to skip this traditional treat altogether, but with a sugar-laden 200 calories in 16 ounces, the sweet drink should probably be considered a dessert substitute rather than a beverage. Rick..I found this product last year when I was really wanting Apple Cider and it got me thru the holidays..it is from Alpine from Krusteaz Spiced Cider Sugar Free Apple flavored and it has only 15 calories per packet when mixed with 6-8 oz of water...during the holidays I bought every box my local store had and then made a crockpot full for Thankgiving and Christmas and added my spices, nutmeg, cinnamon sticks, cloves and no one could tell that it was sugar free...it was great... 6. Stuffing At 358 calories and 18 grams of fat per cup, there's a reason they call it stuffing. The high-carb turkey companion may be appearing on lots of menus this fall, not to mention its starring role on Thanksgiving Day, but take it easy if you're trying to keep the fall weight gain to a minimum. My mom usually makes the suffing and since my WLS my pouch does not like her stuffing so I make myself some stovetop and only allow myself a small serving miss pouch still gets a little crazy with bread stuff.... 7. Candy apple An apple alone is a pretty healthy fall fruit somewhere in the 60-100 calorie range. Coat it in caramel, however, and you have quite a different story. A large candy apple with caramel usually weighs in around 540 calories. Avoiding this autumn treat will be a boon for your dental bills and your figure. Carmel apples...loved them..have not tried one and will keep it that way....I did however find a product this past weekend of a carmel dip that has no sugar, no calories, not fat, no carbs, no protein, not anything...little worried tho..if it has none of the bad stuff then what exactly is in the jar...? Things that make you go hmmmmm. 8. Turducken This combo wonderbird is a trendy entree you might want to forgo. It contains turkey, duck and chicken wrapped together for a new twist on the usual Thanksgiving meal. In terms of your diet, that twist may be for the worse: one serving of Turducken has 749 calories and 34.5 grams of fat. Try limiting yourself to one bird and skip the crispy skin. A three-ounce serving of skinless turkey has 130 calories. I have never had Turducken only because it is too complicated to make...I will stick with my white turkey breast for the holidays..... HOpe you have a great day.... Jannine 357/164/157
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/8/07 10:57 pm - My Town, NH
Jannine, thanks so much for posting about the SF Spiced Cider Mix. I really missed my hot apple cider last winter and wasn't aware there was a sugar free varitey. I'll look for it next weekend at the grocery store. I love, love, love spiced cider with cinnamon and cloves. It's such a treat. Now I can still enjoy it! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 10/9/07 12:43 am - Far Northern, CA
Jannine, Thanks for the tip on the cider, it sounds wonderful. I have to be careful with the bread products as well. Last week my wife made dinner early and I wasn't very hungry so I just had a bread stick (stuffed with cheese) and then half of another one. Let me tell you I HURT. My stomach hurt so bad I could hardly stand it. I ended up going for a walk and was half bent over the whole time. My wife was really worried because it was the first time I took a cell phone with me walking in case the pain got so bad. Like everything else, I got through it, but I hope I learned my lesson. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/8/07 10:59 pm - My Town, NH
Mornin' Rick! I've never actually tried Turducken but I've seen one. I'm not sure our stomachs were intended to eat a duck inside of chicken that nests inside of a turkey! Stuffing is a tough one for me. I really love my cranberry stuffing at holiday time. I'm not making Thanksgiving dinner this year as I'll be recovering from PS. This is a good thing! I won't be tempted by my stuffing and I won't have tons of leftovers! Have a great day. Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 10/9/07 12:48 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, Your Turducken story sounds a little like the little old lady that "swallowed a fly". Now I really may be dating myself. I hope you have heard of the song? I'm glad to hear your plastic surgery is just around the corner. I think it will make an improvement in you physically as well affect your self confidence. Please let us know. Have a great day. Rick
miminjoey
on 10/9/07 8:28 am - Fort Bragg, NC
woo hoo i am good here don't like any of those!!!
~ Stylz ~
on 10/10/07 3:21 am - North of Boston, MA
mmmm candy apples! now I just enjoy regular apples with peanut butter. such a change in lifestyles
Rick A.
on 10/10/07 3:34 am - Far Northern, CA
Yes, but a good change. Have a great day, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!