8 most fattening foods of fall - part 1

Rick A.
on 10/7/07 1:53 pm - Far Northern, CA
1. Halloween candy With all the bowls and bags of bite-size treats around the house, it's all too tempting to steal a few. But those tiny chocolate bars are more of a trick than a treat. Eat just four "bite size" bars and you're up to 320 calories. Twenty pieces of candy corn will cost you 100 calories, and just 25 jelly beans add up to 140 calories. 2. Mashed potatoes They are the quintessential comfort food for fall. Bu****ch out before taking seconds: weighed down with milk and butter, mashed potatoes usually have about 200 calories in a half-cup serving. 3. Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte Starbucks drinks are notoriously high in calories, and their autumn special is no exception. The Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte weighs in at 510 calories and 20 grams of fat. 4. Apple pie A Thanksgiving dinner is never complete without a slice of apple pie. But with more than 400 calories and 20 grams of fat, this might be one dessert you shouldn't be saving room for. Add a scoop of ice cream (who doesn't?) and you're up to 530 calories. It might just be enough to last you until next fall. Okay so now we know what to avoid. What do you replace these items with? More tomorrow. Life is great, Rick
miminjoey
on 10/7/07 1:59 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
you know you could have just stabbed me or shot me, would have been so much less pain
Rick A.
on 10/7/07 2:08 pm - Far Northern, CA
Mimi, That was quick, this was only posted 6 minutes ago. You weren't suppose to see this until the morning. It's a brand new day. So if you must, sneak a bite and pretend you didn't see this until the morning. Have a great day, Rick
miminjoey
on 10/7/07 9:16 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
You are so funny!!!! I got this email last night but did not open it until this moring....should have opened it when I got it, could have sneaked that last bite!
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/8/07 1:23 am - My Town, NH
Yikes! I didn't know that mashed potatoes had soooo many calories. Those can be my downfall at times. I made Trish's apple crisp yesterday and it was yum, yum, yummy! I know it's extra calories though, so I'll limit myself as much as possible. I really couldn't tell that sugar was replaced with Splenda. I'll be interested to see the other four foods! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 10/8/07 1:28 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, I agree about the potatoes. They taste so good and go down so easy. I think the problem is the stuff we put in them to make them so good. I like your idea about the apple pie crisp. That is certainly a more acceptable treat. Have a great day, Rick
luckycat1
on 10/8/07 2:12 am - Cincinnati, OH
this year we are not handing out candy---just to tempting. instead we are going to give money we would have apent (around 50-60 bucks)to my mother's church. They have a holloween party for kids in the neighborhood and church memebers. I love mashed taters they make my belly feel so good and what else goes good with meatloaf? I heard Starbucks is coming out with a s/f version of the pumpkin spice and gingerbread latte this year. If you just have to have a pumpkin latte with the sugar try getting it with skim milk and only 2 or 3 pumps of the pumpkin syrup (in a venti they put like 5 or 6 pumps of the syrup). thanks for posting
Rick A.
on 10/8/07 3:59 am - Far Northern, CA
Hi, I like your idea of donating the money to the church for the candy money you would have spent. It goes to a great cause and you don't have the guilt ore extra calories. I am not a coffee person, so I have never had these temptations at Starbucks. There isn't even a Starbucks within 50 miles of where I live. Once while traveling in the old days (pre WLS) I did have some of their coffee cake. Man was that good. I'm glad there are alternatives out there to some of their more popular drinks that have fewer calories. Have a great day, Rick
robinsaxton
on 10/9/07 6:54 am - Columbia, MD
I don't drink coffee drinks but I love other pumpkin stuff. Duncan Donuts has a Pumpkin muffin that is fabulous. I haven't checked out the calorie/fat/sugar content but I am sure it is one of those foods I will need to avoid. I will plan on making my own pumpkin muffins. Its super easy and oh so yummy. 1/2 c. water; 1 box spice cake mix, 1 can pumpkin solid pack. Mix well, fill mini muffin pan - sprayed with Pam, bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes. They are delicious and really good with a squirt or fat-free rediwhip! They allow me to get my pumpkin fix without all the calories, sugar and fat. MMMMM.
Rick A.
on 10/10/07 3:40 am - Far Northern, CA
Robin, Thanks for the alternative idea for those that have to have their pumpkin fix. They always smell so good. Have a great day, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views