I have a question about Walking Across America

jannineh99
on 10/2/07 10:24 am - Melrose, MA
Does it matter how we get our miles in or do we only have to count our steps....? Jannine 357/162/157
emmyc3
on 10/2/07 11:01 am - Pittsgrove, NJ
Hi Jannine, I have been recording my walking in steps and miles because my pedometer displays them both. I believe we're looking at the miles that will get us from one state to the next until we reach our destination. Emily
emmyc3
on 10/2/07 11:32 am - Pittsgrove, NJ
Hello Everyone, I forgot to post my walking information in the last message. As of right now it's about 9:30pm and my pedometer is reading 10,124 steps and 4.14 miles. I was trying to improve over yesterday but I was in a lot of meetings today and did less walking. My goal for tomorrow is to increase it again and do better with my food. I also went to the gym and did my upper body weight training and took a 30 min. butt/ab blaster class. So I'm trying but the scale isn't moving. I appreciate all of you and your encouragement and suggestions. Emily
jennb40
on 10/2/07 8:40 pm - Nashua, NH
Hi Jannine - just count your miles! If you are on a bicycle - that should count! If you have a pedometer let it count for you during the day, or if you have a set route you walk and know the mileage - keep up with that. Anyway you can get some miles in will count! STYLZ will mark our map each Monday so we can chart our progress! We will call for a count of miles each Monday for the prior week - Sunday through Saturday. Of course our first week won't have Sunday since October 1 fell on a Monday, but we will take Sunday miles if you have them!!!! Barb
miminjoey
on 10/2/07 9:38 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
I have no clue as to what I walk durring the day so i am only counting the miles I walk/run everyday....i go to the pond and walk/run ( I run a 1/4 mile then walk a 1/4 mile) while my kids rollerblade....I hope that's ok...I know I'll have a lot less then everyone else...but every miles helps right?
BabyRuth2u
on 10/3/07 1:43 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I'm with you mimi. I don't have a pedometer and am only tracking the miles I know I do in addition to my normal steps in the day. Example, the past two days I walked at lunchtime to the Starbucks and back which totals 1.2 miles round trip. So I have 2.4 miles in for Mon and Tue. But, unfortunately my physical activity is going to be cut to a halt right now, at least for a few days until I see what is wrong with my knee. Out of the blue it started hurting two nights ago, last night it had me up in the middle of the night for an hour or so, after it took me so long to get comfortable and get to sleep earlier when I went to bed. I made a docs appt. this morning, she is sending me to an orthopedic doctor. Fortunately I was able to get an appt. there asap for tomorrow morning. My PCP thinks its a ligament or something. There is some swelling but not a lot. I can walk, that is the least of the discomfort. The real problems is it stiffening, tightening and being hard to step on and walk after sitting. It hurts to straightening it, and to bend it. So who knows what it is. I didnt do anything out of the normal. I've had this silly thought. I've been overweight, obese my whole life. But for being so, I surprisingly had good knees. Never had an ache or pain in my legs carrying those 350 lbs around for so many years. And now that I weigh so much less and am active, I'm going to have knee problems? How special would that be. I saved my knees all these years, now being healthy and active is going to ruin them. LOL I sure hope not!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views