Marcher's - part two of slim strategies

Rick A.
on 10/1/07 1:15 pm - Far Northern, CA
# 6 Log your progress. It may be helpful to journal your food intake and exercise. Tracking what you eat is the only accurate way to know how many calories, fiber, protein and fat you are eating in your diet. # 7 Sleep at least seven hours a night. A University of Chicago study found that people that sleep less than seven hours a night have lower levels of hormones that control appetite. Try to keep a consistent schedule. Go to bed at a reasonable hour and get up and exercise to start your day. # 8 Drink at least 8 cups of water a day. People that drink 64 ounces or more of water a day increase their metabolism by 30%. Drinking that much water a day is proven to reduce your appetite. We all need at least 64 ounces of water a day just to replace what we loose from perspiration, respiration and urination. # 9 Limit overtime hours. A University of Helsinki studied 7000 adults for a year. They determined that those who worked overtime had gained more weight than those who didn't. One conclusions is that people who work overtime have less time to xercise, plan meals and often eat on the run. # 10 Exercise daily. It not only gives you a greater feeling of wellbeing, it has numerous benefits for your overall health. Find an activity that you enjoy and stick with it. Schedule it into your day if necessary. Find someone to participate with you and who will keep you accountable. So how are you doing on these things? Have a great day, Rick
Rick A.
on 10/1/07 1:21 pm - Far Northern, CA
My responses to the post: # 6 I am good about loggin my exercise, but I am terrible about logging my food intake. # 7 My sleep pattern in better now that I am on day shift, but when I work graveyard my sleep is disturbed at best. I do start off my morning by walkin a mile at 6:00 a.m. before I go to work. # 8 I do very good on water. I drink at least 100 ounces of water a day. I always have it with me and I drink flavored drinks (no calorie) for variety. # 9 I am very bad on this one. I work overtime whenever I can. It really helps on the finances. Fortunately I have a wife that plans our meals and keeps me on track. I highly recommend a wife. I thing you gals also need one. It's nice to have a laundry fairy, chef, companion and all around good person. # 10. I do exercise daily. I enjoy walking alone or with my wife. Have a great day, Rick
miminjoey
on 10/1/07 10:03 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
#6 i was doing soo good at this until I started sneaking things in I wasn't suppose to so need to get back on track there #7 that will never happen i am lucky if I get 4 to 6 hours a night #8 this for sure is going to be one of the things I am going to work on this month with the walking....I cut out my diet caffine free cokes...if it's no****er, or milk it's not in this house #9 well not a worry there i only work part time...now over time as a single mom..LOL our job never ends #10 well here's where barb's walking kicks in...also I saw and older version of an elptical at the junk store yesterday...i love those things...i am going to go back today to buy it for my office...that way when I get bored and have nothing to do i can get on that.
Rick A.
on 10/2/07 12:46 am - Far Northern, CA
Mimi, Being a single mom is definately working more then full time. Let us know if you get the eliptical machine. I always thought I would be too clumsy to use one of those. I'm currious to know how that works out. Have a great day, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 10/2/07 2:11 am - My Town, NH
#6 - I'm not nearly as good about this as I should be! I'm tracking my protein so that I can make sure I'm getting enough but I often don't track the rest of it. #7 - I definitely need my sleep! If I go more then two days in a row without at least 7 hours, I'm a zombie. I often have trouble sleeping through the night. Perhaps I should move to another country where siestas are commonplace in the afternoon! #8 - I'm amazed at how little water I drank before surgery. I guess I never realized how much my body needed. Now, the first thing I want when I wake up is water. I usually get in at least 64 ounces. I try to drink two of my nalgene water bottles between 8 and 5 during the work week. That's 64 ounces right there! #9 - Ummm... my work week averages more like 50 hours. #10 - I try to exercise...sometimes I do very well...othertimes I miss it completely. I do know that I exercise much more frequently than I have ever before in my life! Thanks for sharing these tips, Rick! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 10/2/07 3:53 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, It sounds like you are like the rest of us, a work in progress. Keep up the good work. Have a great day, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 10/3/07 9:37 am - North of Boston, MA
# 6 - tracking my progress is something I always say I'll go back to, but never do. I faithfully tracked in fitday for the first year of being post-op, when I hit that mark, my tracking went from every day to once a week to nothing. I know theres days I don't get in enough protein and tracking would really help. good point Rick! # 7 Sleep..... I probably get enough sleep for myself and everyone thats lacking it here on the Marchers board I'm a sleep-a-holic and could probably sleep my life away! Theres nothing better than a power nap after work to recharge the batteries! BF and I LOVE our naps # 8 Water, love it!!! I know they say you cant stretch your pouch by drinking, but I really feel like I have.. I use to drink 4 sips at once now its up to 10 which scares me a little because why is the water going through so fast? pre-op I use to chug 32 oz. water without stopping. if I could do that now, i'd really be worried! # 9 No OT for me either, state employees aren't allowed much of it so maybe its a plus for me # 10 thanks to Barbara's walking challenge, I've upped my walking and plan to get lots of exercise this weekend in Cape Cod. Its suppose to be a perfect weekend here in New England (low 80's high 70's during the day, light sweater weather in the morning and night).. can't wait
Rick A.
on 10/3/07 1:49 pm - Far Northern, CA
You're doing fine. Take a nap for me. I'm jealous, walking in Cape Cod. It's suppose to snow here on Friday. Welcome to sunny California. OH well, enjoy yourself. Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views