Quarterly Recipe Swap

jannineh99
on 10/1/07 11:00 pm - Melrose, MA
Ok we now have some new people here in the Marcher Group and so I am thinking that it is time to do a Recipe Swap the idea being posting your favorite recipe or one that you know keeps you on track...I have two or three that I rely on for keeping me on track so I will post those here today...most of my recipes were donated by other WLS people or from other websites and I altered them..I hope anyone who uses them enjoys them... Jannine 357/162/157 Chicken Favorite (This is my ultimate favorite...I make so much of this I can put it in either 4 or 8 oz containers and store in the freezer and have this on stock.....) 4-6 chicken breasts ( skinless, boneless can be thawed or frozen) 8 oz. sour cream reg or FF 6 cans cream of mushroom Take 2 cans of soup and put on the bottom of the crock pot then put chicken on top of the soup and then pour the rest of the 4 cans of soup over the chicken and turn on the crock pot (the more soup you use, the more gravy you'll have) 1/2 hour before cooking is done chicken should be able to be shread with two forks after it is shread add the sour cream and let it cook for 30 mins longer. That's it! Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Serve over rice. (I use brown rice or rice pilaf) Shredded Mexican Beef (This is my second favorite...it orginally came from Stylz but I have adapted it to my families liking...I eat one or two soft taco shells with this mixture with sour cream and lettuce and salsa..or sometimes I eat it alone... 4 -6 pounds chuck roast 1 (4 ounce) can green chile peppers, chopped 1 pkg Old El Paso Hot & Spicy seasonings 1 pkg Old El Paso Reduced Taco seasonings 1/2 tsp dried oregano 1/2 tsp ground cumin 4 pkts of Sazon 3 tbl spn Red Sofrito 2 cloves garlic, minced salt to taste 2 cups of water Trim the roast of any excess fat, and season with all ingredients listed above. Marinate to your liking (2 hours to 3 days, I usually leave it 3 days so the flavors are all through the meat) Place roast in foil large enough to enclose the meat. Cover and cook on High for 6 hours, checking to make sure there is always at least a small amount of liquid in the bottom. Remove foil and reduce heat to Low. Continue cooking for 2 to 4 hours, or until meat is totally tender and falls apart. Crockpot Chicken Tacos This is must have recipe for save timers as it can be set to cook on low overnight or during work hours. *Just a quick note - *I prefer to shred chicken 1 hour before completely cooked just to soak up taco seasoning. Also an excellent alternative to leftovers, especially turkey after Thanksgiving! Ingredients: 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (frozen or thawed) OR 7-9 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen or thawed) 1 can low sodum chicken broth 1 pkg taco seasoning 1 pkg low fat flour tortillas Favorite taco toppings: FF cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. Directions Place chicken in bottom of crockpot. Pour chicken broth and taco seasoning over the top. Place lid on and cook on HIGH 4-6 hours or LOW 6-8 hours. Chicken should be fork tender when done. *After cooking, take chicken out of crockpot and dispose of liquid. Shred chicken. Assemble tacos and enjoy. Note: If chicken is frozen, cooking time may need to be adjusted longer
~ Stylz ~
on 10/1/07 11:37 pm - North of Boston, MA
recipe swap, such a great idea! I love how you adapted the sour cream/cream of mushroom/chicken dish and freeze it in small containers. Perfect for people who need a grab on the go meal, make ahead and freeze! I'm going to try that one of these weekends. I love using those ziplock snack bags for things (half pound of raw ground beef, 3oz grilled chicken or shredded beef, taco soup, etc) throw them in the freezer and you're never out of meals! heres a couple of my favorites Marinated Grilled Shrimp 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/3 cup olive oil 1/4 cup tomato sauce 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined skewers In a large bowl, stir together the garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, and red wine vinegar. Season with basil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add shrimp to the bowl, and stir until evenly coated. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring once or twice. Preheat grill for medium heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Discard marinade. Lightly oil grill grate. Cook shrimp on preheated grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque heres my newest creation... un-fried beans 3 cans of your favorite beans, rinsed (I've been using red kidney beans lately, but you could use pinto, navy, black, whatever tickles your fancy) Put those in a pot and fill with enough water to cover them, add a few cloves garlic (whole) and a small onion (peeled, but whole), add a couple dashes of cumin and Old El Paso taco seasoning (I use the one in a jar since you probably wont use a whole packet). Cook for 15-20 minutes (enough to season the beans) then take out the garlic and onion. pour out juice, but reserve it incase you need to add it back in. Use either a food processor or a hand "boat motor" as Emril calls it. and puree the beans to refried bean consistency. Add water back a little at a time until desired consistency (remember you'll be adding enchillada sauce so you don't want them too liquidy). Season to taste with more taco seasoning and serve with cheese and enchillada sauce
jannineh99
on 10/2/07 1:15 am - Melrose, MA
Oh my those sound yummy thanks for the contributions.... Jannine 357/162/157
RebekaA
on 10/3/07 2:32 am - Inland Empire, CA
Great Idea. Here's mine. Finally found a good fish recipe I can make! I normally HATE Salmon and have NEVER been able to cook fish properly, but this recipe has me eating Salmon once a week at least! It takes maybe 5 minutes! I normally just cut it down for 2 servings. Asian Grilled Salmon 1 side fresh salmon, boned but skin on (about 3 pounds) For the marinade: 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard 3 tablespoons good soy sauce 6 tablespoons good olive oil 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic Light charcoal briquettes in a grill and brush the grilling rack with oil to keep the salmon from sticking. While the grill is heating, lay the salmon skin side down on a cutting board and cut it crosswise into 4 equal pieces. Whisk together the mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, and garlic in a small bowl. Drizzle half of the marinade onto the salmon and allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Place the salmon skin side down on the hot grill; discard the marinade the fish was sitting in. Grill for 4 to 5 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish. Turn carefully with a wide spatula and grill for another 4 to 5 minutes. The salmon will be slightly raw in the center, but don't worry; it will keep cooking as it sits. Transfer the fish to a flat plate, skin side down, and spoon the reserved marinade on top. Allow the fish to rest for 10 minutes. Remove the skin and serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Courtesy: Barefoot Countessa Recipe Summary Difficulty: Easy Prep Time: 5 minutes Inactive Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 9 minutes Yield: 6 servings
BigOleTriGuy
on 10/3/07 1:56 pm - Alexandria, LA
Thanks, Im thinking y'all must knwo a little something. Im breakfast guy fav so here my standard 3 egg white 1/2 egg yolk Finely and I mean finely chopped greeen red yello peppers finely diced onion paper thing sliced chicken breast then chopped with soem good cajun seasonings added for a simple dry marinade for flavor while awating saute pan finely chopped or corse, for some good texture, poprtabella or crimini ( you chose) salt pepper to taste then some of yoru fav flavors, I use slap yo mama seasoning, its a local fav like tony's sachere but less salt spray pam in small saute pan after it reachs temp and put on large skillet to heat while warming up everything but the eggs I go med hi then drop to med when I add the eggs. Sprinke with salt then add eggs and a couple tablespoons of flass seed meal, add hot ingredients and shave parm cheese ( this is salty so go light on the other salt things) Gresh ground blacck pepper, I like it course ground too for added pop and some texture. serve with a quarter of whole grain english muffin, I go dry but thats is me, lots of sugar free stuff out there but never butter or subsitute - taste great, but no me, Obviously the fine dice is something I need but enjoy the chewing when I change it up but it helped me in the beginning to get to knwo what was meant by fully chewing you food. I help it get sttarted this way and done lose too much in the enjoyment of flvor. Ive also done spinache parm cheese and chopped turkey breast etc etc, not too bad. Also chopped smoked turky sausage and hot peppers with Salsa took a stand for a while. No cheese on this one though. but it would certainly be good, but there is enough flavor going on to not miss the added calories. I also do a smoked chicken salad with most of the abotve mentioned added veggies with spicey muster no mayo, and add finely chopped celery ( I take most strings off but like the added bitterness. ) Chopped dill pickles and boiled egg whites only, no yolks, I serve the wrapped in Iceburg lettuce leaves or Romaine kinda like a green taco thingy. I stays great int he fridge for a day or two and is always a great no fuss healthy meal even when I have NO time to eat. I eat anyway. Thats my favs and standbys, Hop you like e aka BigOleTriGuy
jannineh99
on 10/4/07 5:30 am - Melrose, MA
Rebeka and Emile....those recipes sound so yummy I am drooling...thanks for the contribution.... Jannine 357/162/157
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views