Jannine - protein bars

jennb40
on 9/25/07 11:19 pm - Nashua, NH
Jannine - this is the article I was reading about protein bars. It was in a magazine we get from our surgeon's office and it was in a question and answer format. Q. Lately I have been having a Luna or Pria bar when I am hungry during the day. I just love them. Are these bars ok? A. Not really. In short, Pria, Luna, Cliff and most other so-called energy bars were designed to provide energy (calories) to people during exercise that lasts 90 minutes or longer, such as an all-day bike tour or marathon. Most people, including the estimated 65% of Americans who are overweight, need fewer calories. They may have added vitamins, but you need more than that for good nutrition. Think of it this way, if you added vitamins to Snickers or ice cream, would it then be a healthful food? No. Ditto for energy bars. I suggest "real food" snacks. Try these: a small box of Cherrios and a small carton of milk; 1/2 sandwich made with whole wheat bread and reduced-fat cheese or peanut butter; banana; light yogurt; carrot sticks and an individual container of cottage cheese; vegetable soup; veggies and hummus dip; instant oatmeal made with milk; or a protein shake made with milk. Anyway - I hope this helps a bit. Barbara
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views