Challenge for MARCHers

jennb40
on 9/16/07 10:48 pm - Nashua, NH
As some of you know by reading my posts, I have put out a walk-a-thon challenge for MARCHers for the month of October. For the majority of the country, the month of October is pretty good weather wise so this would be a perfect month to get out and do some walking - to get us ready for winter! Even if the weather is not favorable some days we have malls, gyms and treadmills....heck - probably even laps in some of the buildings we work in...so there really is no excuse. A good pair of shoes is all that is required and maybe a sweater in some parts of the country. So I have a challenge to throw out. According to map quest - from New York City, NY to Los Angeles, CA it is 2,780 miles. Here is my challenge - let's see if we MARCHers can walk across the country (on paper!) during October. Whoever logs the most miles will get a small gift from me and each of you who participate I will mail you a certificate (worthy of framing!)!!!!!! What do you say MARCHers - are you up for the challenge - can we post on the main board that the March 2006 WLS folks walked across the country...on paper? If you don't log your miles with a pedometer - keep track of your walking course and log the miles in each day. I personally think we can do this and the benefits of the exercise will be great for all of us. Will you participate? You have 2 weeks to think about it! I hope you will all join in - even if you only do 1/2 or 1 mile a day - we want to leave NYC on October 1st and get to LA by Halloween. Can we do it....will we do it....I THINK WE CAN, I THINK WE CAN! Barbara
Rick A.
on 9/17/07 12:54 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbaram, I am in. This is a very ambitious goal, but I will do my part. Have a great day, Rick
jennb40
on 9/17/07 3:07 am - Nashua, NH
Well if 19 of us walked 5 miles a day for 30 days - we could get there. Or if 40 of us walked 2 1/2 miles a day for 30 days we could get there! BUT if we only walked 3 miles a day (10,000 steps) then that would be 90 miles and we would only need 30 people to do that!!!! But at the very least we could try and get to the Mississippi River?????!!!!! I am doing my 10,000 steps a day now and will need to up that to about 15,000+ to get 5 miles a day. It's a challenge, but I am going to try it! Glad you are with me!!! Where is everybody today - are we not motivating anymore????!!!! Barb
Rick A.
on 9/17/07 3:31 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, You read my mind. Where is everyone. I don't think we each can walk half of the distance needed, but I would try to meet you in the middle. I have a question about your 10,000 steps. If my math is correct, if you are getting three miles for that many steps your stride would only be 18 inches or so. Did your pedometer come with directions on how to set your stride? When I was figuring one out I had to take ten steps in a normal stride and then set the pedometer to that. My stride ended up being almost 30 inches. I just hope you are not cheating yourselft out of some mileage. I am very proud of you for increasing your steps and having a goal to continue to improve. Have a great day, Rick
jennb40
on 9/17/07 4:05 am - Nashua, NH
Funny you should mention that - I was looking at the instructions that came with the pedometer a while ago and think I do need to calculate it...I just have it on the factory settings! I think I will do that now. Thanks!....and I will meet you near the Mississippi!
jennb40
on 9/17/07 4:39 am - Nashua, NH
Oh my goodness - I just did the calculation and my stride is 30 inches...no wonder I am tired at night!!!! No telling what I am really walking! I was at 6,879 steps after lunch. - With a reset stride - I might be beyond 10,000!!!! Mississippi - I will meet you at the Grand Canyon!!!!! Thanks for setting me straight! Barbara
jannineh99
on 9/17/07 11:54 pm - Melrose, MA
I am definately in...have to get a new ped tho....mine fell off my pants and it when I picked it up it said I walked 15 steps...to I need one with less bounce counting.....I have not been here alot because dh, and kids all have colds and feeling miserable...so that only leaves me to take care of them...so no time to be at the puter...both you and Rick are still motivating..... Love Jannine 357/163/157
jennb40
on 9/18/07 1:17 am - Nashua, NH
Hope your kids and hubby are better soon. Glad you are going across the country with us! Barbara
BigOleTriGuy
on 9/20/07 10:00 am - Alexandria, LA
count me in emile bigoletriguy :cool: :thumbsup:
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!