Marcher's the cruise has begun

Rick A.
on 9/11/07 2:56 pm - Far Northern, CA
Finally we have made it to the ship. We gaze at its splendor. Is it all we thought it would be? What will the week bring? Will I achieve my goals and arrive at my destination safe and sound? Will it meet my expectations? We are in the operating room. No more questioning, no more research. We have started our journey. We have chosen our cruise director (surgeon) carefully and we are on our way. When we first get on the ship, we take a quick tour and get our bearings, unpack our bags and hit the buffet. In no time at all there is the safety drill and soon we will be on our way. We wake up from surgery and try to figure out our surroundings. Is it really over? We take a quick tour of our body, we have drain tubes and IV's and maybe have parts of our bodies shaved that we didn't think about earlier. We are given directions and if needed, we hit our morphine button. Our new lives are about to begin. It takes awhile to adjust to ship life. We our constantly being catered to and pampered. We have discovered the wonderful luxury of a room Steward. He takes care of the maintenance of our rooms and sees that we are comfortable in our new surroundings. We are learning our way around the ship and check out the many activities that are available. Even on the ship there are daily programs and schedules to adhere to. We can't escape the rules even here on vacation. We are given instructions to make our hospital stay easier. We get used to the routine that has been established for us. We take our medication as instructed and we walk and drink as directed. It seems that we are frequently being poked and prodded for our own good. We soon discover that we are the "stewards" of our own body and it is up to us how we choose to care for it. In no time at all we are out on open ocean. While there may be a feeling of uneasiness not being able to see land we are confident in the safety of the ship and we start to become accustomed to this new life of luxury. We venture out to explore more of the ship and we become interested in its inner workings. We may even take a kitchen tour or a tour of the bridge. As a first time cruiser we search out those who have cruised before and learn from their experiences. Soon you are released from the hospital. No more IV's no more tubes. We are released with a list of instructions to follow that include what and when to eat and drink. Take your vitamins and supplements. We begin the challenge of finding out what works for us and what our body can tolerate. We find that our bodies don't work the way they once did. We find great comfort in speaking with others that have chosen the same path and we look to them for support. Coming, adjusting to our new lives Were you scared to death when you left the hospital? I thought I would never be able to get it. When do I drink? When do I take my vitamins? How much protein do I need? They have thrown me to the wolves. What do I do now? They didn't tell me the smells of food would bother me and how come every commercial was about food? Life is great, Rick
Beckers
on 9/12/07 12:41 am - Cottage Grove, OR
I was terrified to leave the hospital. You'd think I'd be eager to go home. I really was miserable in the hospital, I had a roommate from hell, and I wasn't getting any decent rest. But still, I was scared to go home. My hubby was thrilled when they released me, he really was missing me and wanting me home. It seems like he was there to pick me up so quickly, and he brought our pug to cheer me up. I didn't even want to see my pug I was in a real FUNK. I was depressed and couldn't explain why... This depression lasted a few days, and I'm so glad I snapped out of it. It was really weird... I was in a scary dark place, a deep dark funk... I think it was a mixture of morphine withdrawal and "what the heck did I do to myself?" I didn't worry too much about the vitamins and protein, because I had gone through 6 months of classes beforehand, and I had TONS of paperwork in a big white binder that was organized and ready for me to refer back to when I had questions... and regarding food, I think my hubby was afraid to eat around me, because the first few days I don't remember him eating at all, or hiding in the kitchen while I was resting, and he finally admitted he was afraid to eat in front of me he didn't want to torture me or make things harder... but I told him to eat because I'd be pissed off if he ended up losing more weight than I did
Rick A.
on 9/12/07 1:03 am - Far Northern, CA
Rebecca, I think a little post surgery depression is normal. I think everyone also had that feeling on what did I do to myself. Initially my wife was very good about not having the wrong kinds of food around me, but not to the extreme your husband did. One thing that was funny though, about three weeks post op I needed some chap stick and my wife let me use some of hers. It was buttered popcorn flavor. I could not believe how bad it tasted to me and I couldn't get the taste off of me. It was funny afterwards. Of course the other thing she did to me once was the morning of my carpal tunnel surgery she was trying to be nice to me and cooked bacon then I reminded her I couldn't eat anything. Oh well, life is funny. Have a great day, Rick
jennb40
on 9/12/07 4:48 am - Nashua, NH
I love your background on your profile...your pug is almost as adorable as you are! We have 2 pugs - TJ and Sam - there are pictures of them on my profile on our Christmas card. I can't believe your little pug didn't cheer you up when you were done with the surgery...mine were really happy to see me when I got home, but I really had to watch them so they didn't on me and send my stomach into craziness! I am sorry you had the depression for a while...probably had something to do with being put to sleep and the morphine. I think anytime you get put to sleep strange things happen in your brain!!!! Anyway - just wanted to say how adorable your pug is! Barbara
Beckers
on 9/12/07 5:30 am - Cottage Grove, OR
Thank you Barbara I have two pugs now, but only had 1 at the time of surgery. My pugs are Max and MeiMei Aren't pugs just the funniest little cherubs? Yeah, you know its bad if my pug didn't snap me out of my depression! Thats how depressed I was
jennb40
on 9/12/07 5:50 am - Nashua, NH
Another great analogy Rick - you are too good! I actually was not scared to death to leave the hospital, I was so glad I was alive, having no complications and was truly thankful so I didn't dread leaving. Thanks again for a great post! Barbara
~ Stylz ~
on 9/14/07 2:57 am - North of Boston, MA
I was afraid to watch tv because I heard the stories how food commericals seem to be on going, they replace shows with food commercials specifically for new post-ops When I left the hospital, I felt like I was the first person to ever have the surgery. It was all new to me and I felt even though I talked to so many people I still wasn't prepared as "they" didn't know what I was going through. Needless to say that passed quick, not only that but Barbara and I (we both had surgery the same day, at the same hospital) were eachothers support group and were on the phone atleast 3 times (probably more ) a day! We helped eachother get through the first weeks of our new pouch moving from liquids to pureed to soft foods. It was great going through it together! As far as food goes, I had no thought of food for 2 weeks after surgery! My mom came to stay with me for the week and one day after waking up from a catnap on the couch I couldn't hear my mom around the house. No tv, no walking around, no nothing.. I went to the kitchen to see her in the corner scoffing down a sandwich. I said mom what are you doing? She said I didn't want to tempt you with seeing me eat or smelling food! I told her I had no thoughts of food and not only could she eat her sandwich in front of me AND at the table, but she could eat my biggest downfall in front of me... pizza and I wouldn't be tempted! It was great having her there for the week, she motivated me to walk and when I wanted to rest she gave me the privacy to do so.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views