Marcher's cruising at goal

Rick A.
on 9/10/07 2:27 pm - Far Northern, CA
So we decided we want to take a cruise, now we need to decide what cruise line meets our needs and will get us to the destination of our choice. I decided RNY was best for me because it reduced the size of my stomach, it has relatively quick and significant results and it would eliminate most if not all of my health problems. There was also the possibility of what I call a positive negative - The possibility of "dumping syndrome" - which I have since found out I don't have - DARN. Finally the week has arrived for our cruise. We already have the information we need and have filled out as much of the paperwork as we can ahead of time. There is great anticipation and even some nervousness. What happens if there are flight delays? Will the family be okay without me? Have I packed everything I need? Do I have realistic expectations? The last week before surgery is full of many mixed emotions. Is this the choice for me? Am I adequately prepared? What if I have complications, will my family be okay? Do I write a "what if" letter? Am I really ready for what lies ahead? If we are flying we must park at the airport, check our bags, present the proper documents and go through security, but at last we are on our way. There is nervousness because no matter how much we have prepared and researched we know that the next few hours are out of our hands We arrive at the hospital, check in, fill out any necessary last minute paperwork and sign releases for treatment. We now have quite literally put our lives in someone else's hands. There is anxiousness and apprehension and a sense of lack of control. We're almost to the ship. What did you do ahead of time that prepared you best for this journey? What advice would you give someone that is just embarking along this path? Did you write that "what if" letter? My responses - I researched and read all that I could, I talked to others that had alredy taken the cruise. I would ask someone new if they real are ready for a life altering, no turning back solution to this life long problem? If so, go for it, you wont regret it. I did write a variation of the "what if" letter. I wrote down all of the finacial information my wife would need if I was incompacitated or worse . . . She and the rest of the family knew I loved them as they are told that daily. Life is great, Rick
jennb40
on 9/10/07 10:22 pm - Nashua, NH
What a fascinating analogy Rick - you are great! I didn't write a "what if" letter...and I did ok - just ok - with the pre surgery jitters, but as I lay on the gurney rolling on to the operating room - and my daughter and wonderful husband were beside me wishing me well...I lost it! The tears began and I questioned leaving my wonderful husband and family - little did I reason at the time that I would be leaving them anyway if the surgery didn't work - would die from obesity related illnesses. But fortunately for all of us the anesthetist was walking along with me and said...it will be okay..as he injected something into the drip and before the tears got down to my chin they were waking me up in the recovery room!!!! Thanks goodness for good night drops!!! But thank goodness for this wonderful cruise we are on and what a journey it has been! I would go on this cruise a thousand times over! Thanks for the great post! Barbara
Rick A.
on 9/11/07 2:11 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, I only had a few of the pre jitters. I too, had a "manly" tear on my cheek as I was rolled into the O.R. I have never had any other kind of major surgery and had never been in the hospital before. So glad you are on this cruise, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/10/07 10:49 pm - My Town, NH
Mornin'! I think that my best preparation advice is to know the behavioral expectations backwards and forwards. I could recite health benefits, daily nutrition goals, risks, vitamin supplements and dosage, the food stages and the items to stay away from. I felt very prepared for the changes in my life. I've talked to many people who went through the same program that I did. They don't know how many grams of protein they should be getting each day. They are confused about which vitamins to take as well as how and when to take them. They are focused on the rapid weight loss instead of the lifestyle changes that are necessary. I worry about these folks!!! I did not write a "what if" letter but did have a conversation with my husband about my decision. I wanted him to know that WLS was a choice that I made for my health and that I understood the potential risks. Great questions, Rick. Have a lovely Tuesday! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 9/11/07 2:21 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, I can't believe how ready you were for this journey, both in knowledge and mental preparedness. I think the mental part was harder for me then the physical aspects of the surgery. I'm glad you did this for your health. Have a great day, Rick
Beckers
on 9/11/07 2:22 am - Cottage Grove, OR
Gosh, Rick, you've got me heartsick over this cruise I've been wanting to go on, and I can't afford to go its the 2nd Annual WLS Cruise, this Jan. 31-Feb. 4 from Jacksonville, FL to the Bahamas, for 4 days. Its only $269 per person!! But the plane trip would cost $350, and all together I just can't afford it! *CRY* A lady from my support group in Eugene, OR is going and needs a roommate, she would have been fun to go with. There are at least 100 OH'ers booked already for this cruise... I really wanted to go... *CRY* Here's the link for this WLS OH cruise: http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/members/profile.php?N=M1153520032 Ok, I'll get myself together now I thought of WLS for years beforehand. Carnie Wilson is the first person that brought it to my mind seriously. When I found out insurance covered it, I started the 6 month process of classes, etc... I didn't write a "what if" letter. I was terrified when on the gurney, before the surgery. The nurse that stuck the IV in my hands KILLED ME with those needles, and I thought I'm such a baby, that if the IV's hurt this bad, I won't be able to handle the pain of the surgery But I found out after surgery that morphine is great heheh I WANT TO GO ON A CRUISE!!... *sigh* I hate being unemployed and poor.
Rick A.
on 9/11/07 3:14 am - Far Northern, CA
Rebecca, I wish there was a way you could go on the cruise. If not this one maybe there will be another one on the west coast. I never seriously considered the surgery early on because I thought it was the "easy way out" and I should be able to do it on my own. Boy was I wrong on both counts. I'm glad you got good drugs for your surgery. It really helps in the short run. Have a great day, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 9/14/07 12:04 am - North of Boston, MA
I feel like I just got back to the port after shopping all day and the ship has left me behind! lol Its Friday and I'm catching up on Tuesday's posts! I didn't write a "what if" letter even tho I did think about it once or twice. I was nervous about what would happen and I think I drove myself to panic attacks before surgery over it. I was on OH 24-7 and doing things like reading pages and pages of WLS Memorial threads... It finally came down to having to leave the boards completely 2 weeks before surgery so I didn't go crazy. I just came to grips, stopped reading and the thought about a what if letter went away as well. I think one of the best things I did before surgery was stop eating sugar and drinking caffeine. I was such a big sweet eater and I know how those sugar headaches are when you stop eating it, I figured I'd have enough going on being fresh out of surgery than to add sugar and caffeine headaches to it too. Another thing I stopped doing months before surgery was no more soda. New Years Eve was the last soda and I think it helped keep me away. Advice to pre-ops, hmmmm..... Research the surgery types to make sure you know your options and pick the one thats best for you. Meet with as many post-ops as you can before surgery to hear their stories and attend support group meetings, the more knowledge you have the better off you'll be.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views