Hello Marcher's let's go cruising.

Rick A.
on 9/10/07 2:05 am - Far Northern, CA
Stepanine, I am so glad your health has improved so that you don't have to worry as much about some of those potential diseases. My thought on those BMI charts is throw them out. The real question is are you happy with where you are? Some of those other things are just numbers. We are not statistics we are real people and we all are different. You are a SUCCESS. Have a great day, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 9/10/07 12:46 am - North of Boston, MA
morning Rick, I'm cruising for the first time next week!! My adventure started a year and a half before actual surgery. A professor at the college where I work had it done and one day after seeing how skinny she had got I asked her how she did it. She started telling me about the surgery and how she researched it and it was the best decision she ever made for herself even with small kids at home and the risks involved. She told me the name of her doctor, I called, was sent some forms to complete and chickened out... I didn't send the forms in. I continued to research the surgery and one night the professor who had it done told me to meet her at a support group meeting. I did and while there, spoke to plenty of post-ops who told me their stories. I decided to take the plunge and mail the forms back. After doing this, a month later I found out the doctor for the program had taken a new position and would no longer be accepting patients. In all honesty I think thats what motivated me to have this done. Shortly after this, I called a different program (one close to my work), went to their information session in December 05, scheduled an appointment for the last week in December with the nurse and left with a book sized packet to read along with a list of things to do (tests, appointments, blood work, etc). I started my to do list shortly after my appointment and completed it in no time. Mid February I spoke to the insurance coordinator in the program, found out I was approved and surgery was scheduled for March I knew if I didn't have this surgery my health would only get worse. My father died at 54 from heart disease and unfortunately my health profile matched his. Besides that, I felt I had no control over what I was eating because I ate so much sugar. I vowed to myself that if I had this surgery I wouldn't even test the waters when it came to eating table sugar because I know it would be a slippery slope and I'd be eating chocolate and junk foods in no time. I'm happy to say 18 months later, still no table sugar for me
Rick A.
on 9/10/07 2:50 am - Far Northern, CA
It sounds like you had a few bumps in the road in the start of your journey. I'm glad you overcame them and started on the road to better health. I'm also glad you were able to find someone to provide you with the information you needed. I have a cousin that had the surgery 2 1/2 years before me and she was a great source of information and support. I'm glad you realized with your family health history how important it was to improve your health. I am so pround of you for giving up the sugar fix. You are a better person than I. Have a great day and have fun on your cruise this week. Rick P.S. I admit I saw one of your posts that mentioned your upcoming cruise and you were my inspiration for this weeks topic. Thank you.
~ Stylz ~
on 9/10/07 3:13 am - North of Boston, MA
awww, you just put a big smile on my face Rick first full week of classes at the college = first of many days from h*ll this week!! thanks for the much needed smile have a good day!
RebekaA
on 9/10/07 12:16 pm - Inland Empire, CA
jealous, jealous, jealous of your cruise! I'm so proud of you for still being Suga Free K!
luckycat1
on 9/10/07 9:02 am - Cincinnati, OH
My journey begin in Aug. of 2006. I saw an add on t.v. for one of the weight loss clinics in the area and signed up for a seminar. It was informative but I did not like the doctor or the nurse practioner--I got bad vibes. I stopped thinking about WLS until October when I was reading the paper (which I rarely read unless it is the sports section or comics) and found another center to visit. I went to their seminar in October and afterwards set up a consult with the surgeon in Nov. I called my insurance company to make sure the doctor was in network. The insurance coordinator for his office told me what my insurance company would ask for (3 mnths supervised diet, exercise log and 5 yrs of documentation showinng my struggles with weight loss--which was easy because my pcp was alo for it). All paperwork was submitted in Jan. and I was approved the 1st time. Got my surgery date in Feb. and the rest is history.
Rick A.
on 9/10/07 2:02 pm - Far Northern, CA
It sounds like you made the best choice the first time around and waited until you were ready and felt comforable with the program you ended up with. When the timing is right and you follow the right steps it seems that things do sail along pretty smoothly, they certainly did for me. I'm glad you are on "our cruise". Rick
kimbaby74
on 9/10/07 10:20 am - Western, KY
My adventure began probably in 2001 or so. Whenever Carnie Wilson had surgery. It was the first time I'd really heard about RNY. I'd heard of the old stomach stapling, but heard how risky it was. Anyway, I talked to a woman who had (at the time) been very successful and was really inspiring to me. I called the surgeon she went to and found out when their next info meeting was. I went to the informational session, and found out his surgeon had about a nine month wait list just to have a pre-op appointment with the doctor. So, I waited. I had moved out of state by the time my appointment came around (found a wonderful job back near my hometown, and HAD to move!) My husband was still living in Cincinnati (waiting to find a job down here and sell the house) so I went ahead and kept the appointment. I sat in the waiting room for three hours and finally got to see the doctor. All was fine. He said I was a perfect candidate, blah blah blah. The very next day, the doctor's office called and said that my insurance didn't cover it and I was SOL. So I just decided it wasn't in God's plan for me. Well, fast forward two years to Fall of 2005. My husband found a job here in Western KY at the local college, and I knew it was my time! I knew some people who worked at the university and they said that the school's insurance covered the surgery. So, I just patiently waited until we were eligible for insurance. January 1st...finally. I actually waited until January 5th, went to my doctor's website and found out there was an info session the very next day. So I decided I was driving to Nashville the next day. I got my info packet that day, mailed it off the next Monday and was on my way. I had my first doc visit sometime in January (can't remember what date without looking at my journal) and then got approved and a date on Feb. 20th and had surgery on March 20th. It all happened really fast! Even the weight loss. I met my goal in July of this year. On my birthday (August 5th) I even got 5 pounds below goal. I love my new life. I feel good for the most part. I've been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, so I'm in pain alot (thought it was just because I didn't have as much padding as before, but turned out it was something else). But it could be much worse. I could still weigh 359 pounds and be really unhappy. Kim March 20th 359/145/150 Down 214 pounds From size 30 to size 8, size 4XL to M
RebekaA
on 9/10/07 12:20 pm - Inland Empire, CA
I'm so sorry to hear about your Fibromyalgia Kim. My friend has it and I know how bad some of her "bad days" can get! But at least you have it diagnosed, so you know how to proceed/deal with it. All the best to you!
Rick A.
on 9/10/07 2:08 pm - Far Northern, CA
Kim, It seems that many people had a false start on this journey and then when the timing was right everything fell into place. I'm proud of your for reahing your goal so quickly. You have done amazingly well. Did you ever think you would proudly post your weight and sizes to a bunch of people you only know online? Sorry to hear about the Fibromyalgia, but you are right it could be so much worse if you also were at your highest weight. I just realized that our surguries were the same day. Darlene and I have always joked about being surgery twins, I didn't realize there was a triplet out there. Thanks for sharing your story. Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views