Marchers at goal. It's all about Nutrition

Rick A.
on 9/6/07 2:40 pm - Far Northern, CA
This is the final piece of information in our arsenal. Vitamins and nutrients supplements are a requirement for those who have undergone WLS . Because our insides have been rearranged we have a more difficult time absorbing these substances. It is imperative that each of us follow our programs protocols for supplementation. Each of us should be taking a high quality multivitamin. These are best absorbed with food. We also should be taking calcium citrate. It is recommended that we take 1200 mg. per day and not more then 2000 mg. per day. Calcium is best absorbed if taken in 500 mg. amounts or less several times a day and is best absorbed on an empty stomach. Calcium is needed for the heart, muscles and nerves to function properly and for blood to clot. Another supplement that we must take is B12. Its function is to help maintain healthy nerve cells and red blood cells. It can be taken either sublingually (under the tongue) or through injections. A B12 deficiency can lead to neurological changes such as numbness and tingling in the hands and feet. Additional symptoms of B12 deficiency are difficulty in maintaineing balance, depression, confusion, poor memory and soreness of the mouth or tongue. The most common characteristic signs of B12 deficiency includes fatigue, weakness, nausea, constipation, flatulence, loss of appetite and weight loss. Be sure and consult with your surgeon if you have a question about any of these vitamins and supplements. Perhaps the best way to remember to take your required supplements is to have them available wherever you go. You may need to keep several small containers at your home, work or in your car. It also is important to remember that the only way you can monitor your vitamin levels is to get blood tests at least annually. I realize this weeks topics have not been very exciting, but they are very necessary in the successful completion of meeting and retaining the goals we have set for ourselves. It's pretty simple, take your pills. Life is great, Rick A reminder of what your weapon is all about: W = water E = exercise P = protecin N + nutritionals supplements
jennb40
on 9/6/07 10:15 pm - Nashua, NH
Thank you for 4 days of GOOD advice - for all of us....All these topics were great reminders of why we should be WEPNing it!!!! I didn't think I had a B12 deficiency according to your specs - I don't have fatigue, weakness, nausea, constipation, loss of appetice or weight loss....however (don't read further if you don't want to be grossed out) if flatulence is a sign of B12 deficiency - then Lord knows I have this vitamin deficiency. Never in my life has this problem been a problem...however I have noticed it is worse when I eat too many nuts!!!! The last 2 weeks my nut intake has been almost non-existant and so has the flatulence....but the couple of days I did have nuts - that increased also. So hopefully I have no B12 deficiency only a "nut" problem!!! (in more ways than one!) I go next Saturday for my blood work for my 18 month checkup, so I certainly hope my blood work remains as good as it has been so far. Thanks for the great info this week Rick. Barbara
Rick A.
on 9/7/07 12:45 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, I think besides our water bottle we could be know by the cloud surrounding us. I think it is caused by the rearranging of our intestines and the food breaking down further down stream and not by the acids in our former stomach. About the nuts. If there called beer nuts when you drink beer why are they called P nuts. Have a great weekend. Rick
layddi
on 9/7/07 12:06 am - Pico Rivera, CA
Thank you Rick, you know I just take my vitamins and sometimes I dont Thanks for the wake up call and you know I been feeling the tingly and numbness. I will be making an appointment for blood work.
Rick A.
on 9/7/07 12:49 am - Far Northern, CA
Di De, I'm glad you see the need for a blood test. It's best to get things checked and fixed before they become a real problem. Have a great weekend, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/7/07 12:19 am - My Town, NH
Rick, thanks for great information this week! You're absolutely right. These are the tools we need to succeed. I hope you have a great weekend! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 9/7/07 12:53 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, Thanks for the encouragement. You have a great weekend also. Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 9/7/07 1:39 am - North of Boston, MA
I feel like this has been the week of confession for me!! I'm probably the worst Marcher when it comes to vitamins, I still have calcium suppliments that I bought during the pre-op days to finish I've been getting better over the past 2 weeks with my vitamin intake (mostly because the surge in my lip when I eat or drin**** cold things has scared the sh*t out of me which is most likely due to not taking b-complex faithfully ) and it helps so much to take a swig of liquid calcium citrate in the morning before leaving the house and then wait to take my multi at lunch! Our (Barbara and I) wls center has us take our labs every 3 months, I'll be going next week for my 18 month check up. Thanks for the motivational week Rick, have a good weekend!
Rick A.
on 9/7/07 2:19 am - Far Northern, CA
Confession is good for the soul. I am so glad that you are getting your blood tests next week. I hope they don't find anything too serious, but I do hope you heed any warnings they give you. It is important that you take good care of yourself. We don't want anything bad to happen to you. Thanks for the encouragement on the posts. Have a great weekend, Rick
Beckers
on 9/7/07 10:57 am - Cottage Grove, OR
VITAMINS ARE VERY IMPORTANT!! I remember a lady from my surgeon's support group back in Calif. that used to stress this to the newbies all the time. She was diagnosed with osteoporosis 1 year after surgery!! She didn't take her calcium/Vit. D like she was supposed to. She didn't take it seriously, until it was too late. My bloodwork from June showed my Vit. D level as 22. It should be between 32-80. That is with me religiously taking my calcium/Vit. D pills (4 pills a day)!! If this continues without improvement, I'm at serious risk of osteoporosis. However, something I forgot about is you are supposed to take the calcium SEPARATE from the multivitamins!! Wait for 2 hours before taking the other. I wasn't practicing this rule I've been taking them within 30 min. of eachother (I would chew the multivitamin with a meal, then wait 30 min. to drink and swallow the calcium). So this might be why I have the low Vit. D level... they counteract each other. I am now waiting 2 hours in between and I will test again soon and see if the Vit. D is still low.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views