I have a date!

Stephanie Smiles
on 9/5/07 11:52 pm - My Town, NH
Yesterday, I had a plastic surgery consult and my breast reduction and brachioplasty (unofficially called removal of bat wings) are scheduled for Thursday, November 1st. I'm very excited and also a bit anxious. I will be waiting to hear from the dreaded insurance company about coverage for the breast reduction. If I thought it would help, I'd go to their office and say "pretty please" over and over again! The brachioplasty will not be covered. It will be worth it to me, however, to be able to wear short sleeved (or maybe even sleeveless) shirts next summer! My surgeon also evaluated me for the panniculectomy I would like to have next June. She thinks that's a slam dunk for insurance coverage which definitely made me smile. My thighs on the other hand, well I may just have to live with those. She was very clear that I will have significant scarring especially as my skin is so fair. I'll take the scars as a trade off for all this extra skin staying in the operating room. There is a catch. There always is! My surgeon is pregnant. If she has the baby early, I'll be out of luck. I will have to wait for another surgeon to take my case. I spoke to the baby yesterday and asked him to please wait until November 2nd if he needed to make an early appearance! I promised him a hand made blanket if he waits. I really did like her so I decided it was worth the gamble. I've worked hard in the last 18 months. I think this surgery will help me enjoy all of that hard work. I still have more work to do. I really need to lose another 20 pounds before June. Most surgeons prefer your BMI to be 30 or less before they do abdominal surgery. That means I need to weigh 190. Since I bounce between 207 and 210, 190 seems like a number that is far, far away. I hope that the first surgery will remove 5 or so pounds and I'll need to work off the rest of that 20. I can do it! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 9/6/07 12:11 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie It sounds like you are doing fantastic and just want to put the fininshing touches on your great progress. Good for you. You have come so far and your goals are in sight. I am proud of you. Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/6/07 12:20 am - My Town, NH
Thanks, Rick! I'm proud of me too. I'm proud of the amazing progress ALL of our MARCHers have made. I know I feel so much healthier today than I did 18 months ago. I hope everyone else does too! Hugs, Stephanie
~ Stylz ~
on 9/6/07 12:47 am - North of Boston, MA
Im sooooooooooo excited for you!!!!! congrats on the date girl you deserve it with all those gym work outs and spinning classes you do keeping my fingers crossed for no baby until after Nov 1
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/6/07 10:36 am - My Town, NH
Thanks so much! I'm going to keep my fingers crossed too. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks! Hugs, Stephanie
jennb40
on 9/6/07 1:01 am - Nashua, NH
WOW Stephanie - that is great news for you. I know you will just do fine - all that exercising you do will most likely cause you to heal faster and not be so painful. Hope the baby holds off and we DON'T want that surgeon to go into labor while in surgery...you might have to lay in the operating room for a day or so before she recovers enough to come back to you....NOT!!!! I am happy for you! You will look great when it is all done - but you look great now anyway! Hugs to you, Barbara
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/6/07 10:39 am - My Town, NH
Thanks, my friend! I hope I do heal quickly. And I agree. Let's not have that baby decide to be born while I'm on the table! Since my hospital is a teaching hospital, I suspect the interns could jump in. You never really know who is cutting on you when the room is full of residents! Hugs, Stephanie
jomamma
on 9/6/07 8:08 am - Palmdale, CA
Hi Steph I had my arms done in April and its the SECOND best thing Ive done for myself. It is so much damm fun wearing sleeveless shirts. That is something I havent done in 25 years!! I LOVE MY NEW ARMS!! Best of luck to you, you will thrilled with the results and you will be amazed how much better you will feel about yourself.
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/6/07 10:41 am - My Town, NH
JoAnn, I'm so glad to hear that you think it was worth it. How was the recovery for you? Much pain? How much time did you take off of work? Excuse my questions! I don't deal well with the unknown! I definitely look forward to wearing different clothes next summer! Hugs, Stephanie
jomamma
on 9/6/07 11:59 pm - Palmdale, CA
I will answer ANY and ALL questions because I so deeply appreciated all the help I got before my surgery. I had my boobs done at the same time. I was tired of them getting caught in my zipper!! So I had the arms and my boobs lifted with implants. I think my boobs caused me more pain then the arms. You just are very limited in your movements. You will be numb for a long time. I still dont have feeling and mine were done in April. But its alot better. It really isnt too bad. I have to run to work I will email you later!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views