Marcher's at goal. P is for _ _ _

Rick A.
on 9/5/07 1:47 pm - Far Northern, CA
The third item in our arsenal is Protein. Protein is essential for our good health. Our bodies digest protein more slowly than it does other foods and protein stays in our system longer, providing us with more consistent blood sugar levels. The small stomach pouch of people who have had WLS have such limited capacity, that in order to consume adequate amounts of protein each day we must maintain a diet consisting primarily of protein. Good sources of protein are: fish, poultry, low-fat cheeses and low fat milk. Proteins to use sparingly include beef, eggs (with yolk), whole milk, beans, legumes, and nuts. Eating solid proteins give us a feeling of fullness and stay in our pouch much longer thus making us eat less and feel content for longer periods of time. If I feel that I am not getting in enough protein during the day I drink a protein shake. I have stated before that I have the luxury of not really ever feeling hungry so that works in my favor. When we had this surgery we made a commitment to better health including providing the proper fuel for our bodies. What are some of your favorite sources of protein and how do you include them in your daily life? Let us know. Life is great, Rick
jannineh99
on 9/5/07 10:53 pm - Melrose, MA
Hi Rick...great post...I consider myself a protein fanatic...because that is mostly what I eat...my favorite is a recipe that I have shared here many times... You take 4-8 chicken breast 4-6 cans of cream of mushroom soup 1 16 oz container of sour cream (added last 1/2 hour of cooking) throw all in crock pot and cook all day on low...the chicken shreads up nicely and it is so yummy.... I put them into individual cups and have them stocked up in my freezer and when I am feeling hungry or snacky...I eat that instead of making a poor choice.... I do have to say that I use my crock pot alot for all kinds of different recipes...and it helps with having extra protein on hand... I wish I had the luxury of not feeling hungry...it is not all the time...but the other day my pouch growled...like saying give me some food...and that has not really happened since before surgery...lol...it shocked me and my hubby....... Have a great day.... Jannine 357/165/157
Rick A.
on 9/6/07 12:43 am - Far Northern, CA
Jannine, What a great recipe, it sounds good and so moist. Moistness is important for me. I also like your idea of freezing small portions so that it is quick and easy to grab. I can relate to the stomach growling. Mine has made lots of noise lately. Thanks for sharing, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/5/07 11:55 pm - My Town, NH
Hiya Rick! I love protein in so many forms. I've always said that as much as I love veggies, it would be very hard for me to be a vegetarian! I don't know if I have a favorite source. I like it all! Cheese, beef, chicken, fish, etc. I do cook with shrimp a lot more these days. It's so easy to stir fry with veggies. My favorite way to stir fry shrimp is with asparagus and cashews in light soy sauce. Yum, yum! I can really notice a difference in my eating when I focus on protein forward meals. Here's to protein! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 9/6/07 12:52 am - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, It's good that you have so many choices of protein that you like. Everyone always told me that my tastes would change after surgery. The only thing that ever really changed is that I like cottage cheese now more then ice cream. I would never have dreamed that before. I wish I like fish, but I didn't before and I still don't. I guess everyone is different. Have a great day, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 9/6/07 12:44 am - North of Boston, MA
Id have to say my favorite protein is shrimp! I've been eating it since the pureed days (never pureed it just cut it into tiny pieces and chewed til it was pureed in my mouth). I also love steak and ground beef, they seem to process it very well with me. Chicken is touch and go, most days I'm ok with it as long as it isn't dry but (and this will sound odd) I find chicken sits heavier in my stomach than beef does (even though beef is heavier).. After eating chicken I can feel it sit there and then my first few sips after waiting to drink always go down hard.. Pork doesn't do it for me. I've tried different forms of it and still I feel awful after eating it or its so dry that it feels stuck.. I still do a protein shake in the mornings because I know without it, I'm not getting in the amounts of protein I should (or I'm just making the minimum requirement). I'd be interested to see how many post-ops still count their protein intake? We've all been taught protein first, but early post-op the surgical center I go to alawys wanted a protein grams number. I stopped counting maybe around the 13 or 14th month, but use to be neurotic about seeing the actual number of protein grams a day. I'd say I get in around 65 with the shake, but again, I haven't actually counted it for a while.
jannineh99
on 9/6/07 1:02 am - Melrose, MA
I must be the odd one out...my protein intake for the day cannot be less than 90 gr and the most is usually about 130 grams a day....do you think that is too much? Jannine
Rick A.
on 9/6/07 1:13 am - Far Northern, CA
Hi, It sounds like you have tried it all as far as protein is concerned. There really isn't much I have trouble with anymore except for chicken if it is dry. I also must confess, I have NEVER figured my protein amounts for the day. I am BAD. I'm proud of your for staying on top of this important part of our daily nutritional needs. Have a great day, Rick
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views