Im Back-- Gall Bladder

Darlene X
on 9/4/07 12:26 am - Maricopa, AZ
Well I can honestly say that was no fun. Im back, and live.. so thats good right? I went in Friday morning @ 9.30am, surgery was scheduled for 11.30am, but they are always late... I got prepped for surgery, IV in the 1st try-- so far so good, and was finally rolled in around 1.20pm. Recovery was worse than my WLS. I had a hell of a time waking up... I could hear them telling me to wake up, but no matter how hard I tried I just couldnt. I could hear the recovery nurses talking, after 2 hours or so she called the surgeon, because she said my blood pressure kept dropping very low, and I was extremely pale. He came down, but said to send me home... so after about 3 hours in recovery, and still not fully out of anesthesia... EJ dressed me, and I dont really remember getting down to the car or the drive home.... but when we did get home I gave EJ quite a scare, and what follows may be TMI... so you may not wanna read on.... I remember sitting up in the car, EJ tried to help me to the house-- he said I was passing in and out of consciousness, he could barely hold me, and was so deathly scared of dropping me. I just remember IO couldnt see.. the light was so bright I was blinded, and I just wanted to sleep. I got standing out of the car and just completely lost all bladder control .. I just couldnt control anything, so here I am EJ trying to hold me to stop me from passing out, and trying to keep me awake... peeing myself & diaheorra --- I feel so bad for the poor guy.... he managed to walk me to the bedroom, lay a towel down and lay me down. I was in pretty bad shape, he almost put me in the car and took me back to the hospital. I remember him cleaning me up... poor guy, things we do for our loved ones.... and Im sure he had to clean the tile, and outside... his Mum arrived about 20 min's later, and stayed with him, cooked a huge meal to keep us going all weekend etc... I don't remember much except being so embaressed and apologizing to him over and over. He said he had never seen me so white, my face was so white he was scared to death. He called the on call surgeon.... and the surgeon told him to keep an eye on my color.. lips face etc and get me up to walk... but walking didnt happen. I remember him watching me every so often, I think he was so afraid something bad was gonna happen. I think EJ was pretty mad that they didn't keep me over night. I slept pretty much that whole night... don't remember much... Saturday was spent all day in bed, but more conscious..... Sunday I started feeling better in the afternoon, and Monday I was able to get around ok. Its back to work today, Im tired and still sore... but feeling pretty ok. I'll get over it. Friday was pretty scary for us both.
Rick A.
on 9/4/07 1:06 am - Far Northern, CA
Darlene, What an ordeal. I'm so glad you ended up okay. I can't imagine how scarry it was for both you and EJ. I'm glad you are okay now. Keep your spirits up and rest as much as you can. Rick
Mary M.
on 9/4/07 2:51 am - Livonia, MI
Glad your back! Some people really have a hard time with all the drugs in their systems. Take it easy. Even though it was done with a scope you still had major surgery. Good luck, Mary
jennb40
on 9/4/07 3:07 am - Nashua, NH
Sorry you had such a difficult time, but glad you are doing better. Rest and take care of yourself...Barbara
miminjoey
on 9/4/07 5:40 am - Fort Bragg, NC
so glad you are ok... you and EJ are stonger then hubby and I, we would have been back to the hospital...that would have been way more then my hubby could have handled...hugs and hats off to EJ...well you too don't over do it now that you are back to work...and rest up
Stephanie Smiles
on 9/5/07 12:03 am - My Town, NH
I'm glad the scare is behind you and that you are feeling better. Wowzers! I can't believe you went back to work so soon. Good for you! Hugs, Stephanie
Beckers
on 9/5/07 1:36 am - Cottage Grove, OR
YAY Darlene! You're ok! I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you, slowly but surely. Yeah, I'm with Mimi, I probably would have driven you right back to that hospital, I would have totally panicked once you lost control of your "system" When I had my gall bladder removed, they sent me home that day too, and I remember NOT being comfortable with going home so soon. I wanted to stay there and recover longer, and I had a hard time waking up, too... also, I had a bleeding incident while in recovery, (I was laying there with 2 blankets over me, and kept telling the nurse I felt something moving/pulsating on my incision area, but they blew me off, said I was fine. Then suddenly a pool of blood was seeping through both blankets and I screamed for the nurse, who immediately put pressure on the wound and called the surgeon in to look at me. He said I was fine, that it was a "pocket" of blood.) and that scared me to go home. I thought I'd end up bleeding to death at home while in a drugged state... Well, I ended up living But I did bleed from that "pocket" for 6 weeks after the surgery... I still don't understand why, but the surgeon kept saying it was "common" and it would stop. Another person told me this happens sometimes with overweight patients (this was years before my WLS). Why are they so quick about sending people home after gall bladder surgery? It seems like any stomach surgery should deserve a night in the hospital... Well, anyways, I'm so glad this ordeal is over for you! *hugs* Bec
jomamma
on 9/5/07 9:38 am - Palmdale, CA
darlene, Ive never heard of anyone having their gallbladder out on and "out patient" basis!! That seems WRONG!! i cant believe that you didnt even spend one night in hospital. That was major surgery. Im glad youre better but it just doesnt seem right that you or your hubby had to go through that!! Goood Luck, it will only get better!
kimbaby74
on 9/5/07 10:47 am - Western, KY
Glad you are OK. Isn't it amazing what our loved ones do for us in our time of need? My hubby was wonderful when I was in the hospital for WLS. Totally blew me away. I knew he loved me, but he really stepped up when I thought he would be totally grossed out! (cleaned me up in the hospital when I couldn't). I'm sorry you had such a horrible time with your GB. I had mine out before WLS and the gas was the worst part. The best part of it was my surgeon told my mom if I didn't have WLS I wouldn't live to see 50. That made her change her mind regarding surgery after hearing it from a professional. Again, I'm glad you are home and on the mend! Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views