Marcher's at goal - a question???

Rick A.
on 8/30/07 8:56 pm - Far Northern, CA
Hello all, I'm curious how you feel about the almighty buffet? Before surgery I admit to over indulging at the occasional buffet. I always had to have salad as well as several entries and then there were the yummy deserts. I always left more then stuffed and usually had to loosen my belt a notch or two. After surgery I was afraid to partake of the buffet circuit. Now I enjoy buffets again, however it is very different. I still have a small salad then I very carefully consider my other choices. I choose high protein meats and if I am very smart I even save room for a sugar free desert. For me it is almost easier to go to a buffet now then a regular restaurant. At a restaurant they seem to super size the meals in order to make the general public feel like they have value for their dollar. I either eat too much or take some home with me and then eat it later or it ends up in the trash anyway. With a buffet, I make the best choices available and then I leave when satisfied. I also understand that there are some people that feel we (us special WLS people) should somehow get a discount on our meals now. My only response to that is thank God they didn't charge me a surcharge in the past when I ate way more then I paid for. I figure it all evens out. So let me know do you buffet or not buffet, that is the question. Have a great weekend and remember to make smart choices. Life is indeed great, Rick
Stephanie Smiles
on 8/30/07 10:56 pm - My Town, NH
Hi Rick. I'm visiting from the "getting to goal" group but liked your question and thought I'd respond. I used to love, love, love buffets. All those wonderful carb-covered creations made me salivate. Of course, I skipped the healthy offerings. Now, I'm sort of ambivalent about buffets. I definitely steer myself toward the salad section and the lean protein meats. What I like about buffets, is that if I take a few bites of something and it doesn't sit very well, I can just go find something else. Whereas, if I order a meal and it doesn't sit well on my stomach, I'm stuck with it. I don't worry about eating enough to account for the cost of the buffet. I leave food at restaurants all the time and it doesn't bother me. I've learned that eating out is less about the food and more about the atmosphere and company. Thanks for a great question and enjoy the weekend! Hugs, Stephanie
Rick A.
on 8/30/07 11:35 pm - Far Northern, CA
Stephanie, I like your attitude towards the buffets and also dining out. Everyone is welcome to comment or feel a part of this "at goal" group". I think "at goal" is more a state of mind. I have to admit most of the time I don't feel like I belong here either. Have a great weekend. Rick
BabyRuth2u
on 8/31/07 12:09 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Good morning Rick, I think a buffet is the way to go. Unless one feels they have a lot of trouble with control and would make themselves sick. I think we need to make that judgement call knowing ourselves. But as you said, it allows me to make choices and eat the amount I want. The regular restaurant meals are too big, and do end up on the garbage even with the best of intentions. I have salad, and pick protein and veggies. Dessert bar doesnt even phase me. So buffet = good to me! I'd also like to report that I'm officially below goal. LOL I hit 169 the other day, then did the bounce to 170 but again today at 169, so I'm calling it! LOL Maybe I'll see that 164 sooner than I thought> Have a great weekend. I'm off for the wedding weekend (in this wedding, all the hub bub starts today, going to be busy busy busy) take care
Rick A.
on 8/31/07 7:14 am - Far Northern, CA
Ruth Ann, You are right it is all about self control. If someone has a problem with that they are probably best to stay out of the "feeding trough" places. (that sounded insensitive, didn't it?) GREAT job being just below your goal with a new one in sight. Maybe that scale was just a premoniton after all. Have a great weekend and try to find some time for yourself. Rick
Beckers
on 8/31/07 2:58 am - Cottage Grove, OR
I've only been to a buffet once since my surgery. I mostly don't go to buffets because my hubby despises them, LOL. And he's pretty stubborn, so once his mind is made up, thats it. But when we did go, I enjoyed being able to have a little of this and a little of that We really don't eat out much anymore. Restaurant food was my downfall as an obese adult. I must say, almost every day we ate out, and I rarely cooked. I brought home food every day after work. It was a regular phone call to my hubby on my way home to find out what he wanted, and I'd go pick it up and take it home. Not only was it expensive, but it was a huge part of my obesity. I'm really shocked how much I enjoy eating at home now. VERY DIFFERENT from how I was living before... (Sorry if I diverted the subject from buffets to home cooking, LOL)
Rick A.
on 8/31/07 7:19 am - Far Northern, CA
Rebecca, It sounds like as you have shrunk you have also grown. You are a better person because of the changes you have made in your life. I agree about the money saved by not eating out. Just think, now you can spend that on new clothes. I think it is also much easier to control what we eat at home. If it isn't brought into the house you don't have to worry about being tempted by it. I know in the past I could hear food calling me that I knew better then to eat, but guess what I usually did anyway. Now if there is something that I shouldn't necessarily eat, I consider it a treat once in awhile, but try not to go overboard. Have a great holiay weekend. Rick
RebekaA
on 8/31/07 4:00 am - Inland Empire, CA
PreOp we used to go to the most amazing Chinese Buffet out here. Mmmmmm. I have been to 2 buffets since surgery. I overate both times. I feel more pressure to clean my plate and "get my money's worth" and push my limits too much...still I don't seem to have this problem at regular restaurants and have no problem pushing the plate away then, it's some weird mental thing with buffets I guess. So for me, they are a no.
Rick A.
on 8/31/07 7:21 am - Far Northern, CA
Rebeka, It's good that you realized that buffets are not the right choice for you. The hard part about all of this is just the trial and error. It sounds like you have got it figured out. Have a great weekend. Rick
miminjoey
on 8/31/07 7:03 am - Fort Bragg, NC
I have gone to a few buffets..i love it because i have ALWAYS been a meat eatter so i can have all the meats i want...and not just one...however i did over do it at a chineese one Tuesday and it all came up...actually not sure if i ate too much or if it was the sauce since I can't do sugar and I had orange chicken (yummmmm)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views