Vitamin check - check it STYLZ

jennb40
on 8/16/07 5:09 am - Nashua, NH
Saw this article in Barbara Thompson's WLS Center Newsletter and thought I would show it to my MARCHer friends. Keep taking those vitamins girls and guys! Hugs to all....Barbara Research Article: Getting in your B's When we have gastric bypass or duodenal switch surgery, we have to make a commitment to taking vitamin supplements for the rest of our lives. The stomach and the first part of the small intestines is where a lot of vitamins and nutrients are absorbed from the food that we eat. Taking vitamins to offset this malabsorption is extremely important and something that we have to take very seriously. A new study from the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences finds that 5% of patients are deficient in B vitamins, some with very serious consequences. Dr Sami Harik, Chair of the Department of Neurology noticed that weight loss surgery patients were coming to see him with symptoms of tingling in their hands and feet. This led him to do a study of 150 weight loss surgery patients who came in for treatment. Of those, 26 had neurological symptoms directly related to their surgery and were deficient in B12 and iron. Most of the affected patients had not been taking their B vitamins. For the full story, check here. http://www.arktimes.com/Articles/ArticleViewer.aspx?ArticleID=b40f517c-01fd-4793-a055-3df0 7e48eeed Don't wait for these symptoms to show up. Take B vitamins and have your B levels checked through blood tests.
~ Stylz ~
on 8/16/07 8:30 am - North of Boston, MA
thanks for thinking of me Barbara I really don't know whats wrong with me! I told Lisa yesterday, its not that I don't have them or forget to take them, I think about taking them, I just dont... On Monday I took my multi, the b vit was in the same drawer, but yet I just didn't feel like taking it so I didnt.. Thats gotta change... I put my vitamins on a napkin next to the computer mouse yesterday and today so I see them when I look at the mouse and it worked. I'll start doing that in the morning. Do you take both of your calcium chews at work? I was thinking once after lunch once before going home that way I get them all in and don't forget the extra calcium when i get home?
jennb40
on 8/16/07 9:07 am - Nashua, NH
Karen, I put my vitamins out on a tissue beside my keyboard when I get to work in the morning and when I turn off my computer to go home - they are all taken! I take everything while at work during the day. The calcium with breakfast - the other vitamins about 10:30 a.m. and the last of the calcium after lunch....that way I get them all!
~ Stylz ~
on 8/16/07 11:23 am - North of Boston, MA
honestly I never thought about taking calcium before my multi.. I'll try taking a Tbsp of calcium citrate liquid before leaving the house in the morning when I'm mixing my shake, multi and b at lunch, before leaving for the day. thanks again for thinking of me, you're the sweetest!
Rick A.
on 8/16/07 9:38 am - Far Northern, CA
Barbara, Thanks for the information. I am a B elivier. I take a B complex and two B12's every day. Thanks for helping us to remember how important this is. LIfe is great, Rick
penhail53
on 8/17/07 11:45 pm - LsSueur, MN
Thank you for this info. I have been having alot of tingling in my hands and my fingers locking up. This maybe explains it. I was told when I had my surgery I only had to take B12, calcium and a multi vit. Nothing about vit B. Thank you again. Jan
penhail53
on 8/18/07 1:52 am - LsSueur, MN
Thank you again for the info I'm going to buy some today! Jan
jannineh99
on 8/18/07 11:21 am - Melrose, MA
Here is another article I found about Vitamin deficiencies... http://chetday.com/vitaminbdeficiencies.html Jannine 357/163/157
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views