Protein muffin recipe

~ Stylz ~
on 8/12/07 5:17 am - North of Boston, MA
I've gotten a few emails asking for this recipe and I didn't want to post it before I had it the way it should be. It took a while to get them tasting, not burning, not too runny, under/over cooked, etc, but I think I got it. I call it my lemon blueberry protein muffins with almond streusel but you could change the fruit and zest to whatever you want. I took a couple packages of cranberries from the south beach cranberry chicken bowl and used those instead of blueberries with orange zest once they came out very good! I was going to try dried pineapple, lime zest with coconut extract but um.... i ate all the dried pineapple not to self.. next time I dehydrate make lots of pineapple Theres a lot of ingredients involved, when I realized I liked it enough to make it every weekend for the week, I decided to double the dry ingredients and bag it into 4 bags (double recipe = 4 - 6 muffin recipes), really reduces prep time! They're very filling and 12 muffins was way too much for my week which is why I cut it in half. Dry mix (total dry ingredients = 4 cups, 2 cups halves the recipe) 1 1/2 cup flour 1 cup quick cooking oats 1 Tbsp. baking powder 1/4 tsp. salt 1 cup whole wheat flour 1 cup splenda 1 tsp baking soda 2 scoops vanilla protein powder (I use Max Muscle that has 30grams protein in a scoop) Wet mix 2 cups vanilla yogurt (I use 3-4oz cups of light and fit carb & sugar control vanilla yogurt) 3 Tbsp canola oil 1 large egg (3 Tbsp if you half the recipe) dash of almond extract 1/2 c. milk 2 tsp. vanilla extract 2 cups blueberries 1/2 cup applesauce zest of a whole lemon Streusel topping 1/4 cup all purpose flour 1 Tbsp splenda brown sugar 1/2 c. chopped almonds 1 Tbps butter Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin cups and pan around cups with cooking spray Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the bowl. Combine all wet ingredients in the middle of the bowl, stir until moist. Let sit for 10 minutes for the oats to expand. Check batter to make sure its still moist, if it looks like it needs a little more moisture, add a Tbsp of applesauce, stir, check for consistency and add more if you feel it needs it. Fold blueberries into mix, spoon into each muffin cup. Don't use muffin papers! The oatmeal will become one with the paper and you'll never get it off! Prepare struesel Combine all ingredients, stir and sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes on lower rack and 15 minutes on upper rack. (this will all depend on your oven, test them with a toothpick of push down on the top to see if it springs up). Let sit for 5 minutes in pan after taking out of the oven then transfer to a wire rack to cool completly.
Stephanie Smiles
on 8/13/07 12:07 am - My Town, NH
This sounds yummy! I'm going to try to make them next week. Thanks for the recipe and for your efforts in quality control!
~ Stylz ~
on 8/30/07 10:55 am - North of Boston, MA
anything for my fellow Marchers
~ Stylz ~
on 10/16/07 1:23 am - North of Boston, MA
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!