Hello fellow Marchers.........

Laura A.
on 8/5/07 1:11 am - Manteca, CA
Hi Everyone..... I want to THANK YOU ALL for your thoughts and prayers and all the beautiful cards I have received. I cannot tell you how much you all have touched my heart!!! Thank you!!! Thought I'd better get on here and give you an update on what's been going on with me...... I had the total hysterectomy/inguinal lymph node removal/abdominal biopsies surgery on June 8th. I was in the hospital 4 days and was VERY glad to come home so I could get some un-interrupted sleep, if you know what I mean!!!! The surgery pretty much knocked me flat for a couple of weeks!! The pathology report did come back as ovarian cancer as we suspected it would. My oldest daughter, Annastacia, has taken excellent care of me!! I had my first chemotherapy session on July 18th. I am receiving 2 different drugs......Taxol and Carboplatin. It felt like I had a horrific flu bug....head ache, body and muscle aches and extremely tired for about 10 days afterwards. They also gave me some anti-nausea medications that worked very well. The oncologist and the chemo nurse had talked to me about losing my hair with chemotherapy.......but I still was not prepared for it!! It started last Tuesday (just 13 days after chemo) and by Thursday morning my head looked like something from a horror movie. I have to say it was very emotional for me. I cried and cried..... Thursday afternoon my son, Austin, used the clippers and buzzed off what was left. While I was in the shower to rinse off after the buzz-cut, Austin and my 20 year old daughter, Kathleen, went to the barbershop and buzzed off their hair in support of me......so then I was crying over all 3 of us having NO hair!!! I am very blessed to have such wonderful kids!!! All 5 of them!!! The American Cancer Society has given me a wig and a couple of hats so I won't have to go out in public "hairless". On a positive note though......my pesky little chin and upper lip whiskers have also fallen out. teeheehee I have my next chemo treatment on Wednesday, August 8th and will continue on an every-3-weeks schedule until about Thanksgiving. I have always dreamed of having the summer off work, but never thought it would be like this!!! hahahaha Some of you might remember that Kathleen had a research internship at University of Miami this summer. It went very well for her and she "networked" with lots of people, opening up many future opportunities for her. She just got home last Sunday night. She and Austin leave on the 13th for college in Honolulu. They will be sharing an apartment this year with my sister's son and another roommate. I am hoping to be able to go back with them after Christmas break to visit. I will always be grateful for being able to have this weight loss surgery......losing weight enabled the cancer to be found early and I now have a much better prognisis than what it could have been..... Thank you all again for all your love and support.......you are the best!!!! I LOVE YOU!!! Laura A.
jennb40
on 8/5/07 1:22 am - Nashua, NH
God Bless You Laura...we have all been anxious to hear from you. What wonderful children you are blessed with...going and having their hair shaved is truly such an incredible supportive role they have taken. But you are beautiful - with or without hair and I bet you really look cute in the hats! Please take care of yourself and know we are all here for you and wish you the very best. Get lots of rest and be ready to go to Hawaii for a break and vacation with your kids. My thoughts and prayers are with you and please continue to update so we can keep up with your progress. Many, many hugs to you...Barbara
~ Stylz ~
on 8/5/07 5:26 am - North of Boston, MA
Laura! I'm so glad you checked in! I've been thinking about you hoping that things were getting better. It sounds like you've got a great support group at home to help you get through this! Great news about Kathleen, her internship and how fortunate her and Austin are to be going to school in Hawaii!! That sounds so pleasant! Remember that we're all here for you and keep us posted on your progress! You're in my thoughts and prayers!
Beckers
on 8/5/07 3:27 pm - Cottage Grove, OR
OMG Laura, thank you so much for posting an update to us!! I've been thinking about you a LOT and wondering what was happening with you. It sounds like you are surrounded by a very loving and close family, and I know this will continue to give you strength to complete the tasks necessary to fight that cancer. I must tell you that you are an inspiration to me! The women in my family seem to struggle with cancer, so its something very close to my heart. Keep fighting! We love you! We will be waiting here for your next update
Stephanie Smiles
on 8/7/07 12:03 am - My Town, NH
Laura, Thank you so much for stopping in to give us an update. I've been thinking about you and sending you good thoughts as well as prayers. I hope you are able to join your children in Hawaii for the holidays! Stay strong and remember that we are here for you! Hugs and love, Stephanie
miminjoey
on 8/7/07 11:25 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
I am so thankful all is going well...and let me say what some WONDERFUL children! you must be so proud of ALL of them I hope all continues to go well for you...I am sure it must not be easy but glad you have loved one to be there every step of the way with you. i continue to keep you in my thoughts. mimi
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views