Are you lurking?? stop in!

~ Stylz ~
on 7/30/07 4:21 am - North of Boston, MA
This place has become a ghost town, I'm waiting to see the tumbleweed come across the screen! We're all getting close to 17 months post-op, everyones gotten into their groove and new life, but its always nice to see a hello from an old friend so thats what this post is for (that and because I didn't want to see a WDYET post for 7 consecutive days with no other posts in between ). If you dont have time to post a long letter about what you've been up to or how you're doing, just say "HELLO" so we can see whos still lurking around!! If you've got a few min to post let us know how you are, your before and afters, wow moments, etc etc! heres my before and afters.. before - 261.2 now - 126.2 total loss - 135 BMI was 47.7 (Extremely Obese) BMI now 23 (Normal, or atleast my BMI is ) Barb - care to do the stats on our BMI like you did before?
jannineh99
on 7/30/07 5:09 am - Melrose, MA
heres my before and afters.. before - 357 now - 164 total loss - 193 BMI was 55.9 (Super Morbid Obese) BMI now 25.6(Slightly Overweight) I have been so busy running here and there and just started going to the Gym 5-6 times a week I was suppose to start with Personal Trainer today but hurt my back so have to postpone for a couple of weeks....and cannot exercise like I have been for about a week...which bites...but don't want to do more damage to my back... I have been having day where I eat about 850 calories and then days like yesterday where I had almost 1700....it comes in shifts....mostly I have stayed around 1200-1458 in calories... My mom is now out of the hospital and back home..Thank you Jesus for that...and thank you for all of you out there that was praying for my mom....she is healing well and soon will not need PT... My son is staying the week with my mom and dad so that there is someone there with her during the day....and he gets to fill some of his Community Service hours for this coming year for HS so that will be one less thing he has to worry about.... My daughter is potty training..and all of you parents out there send me your prayers...she is doing alot better but is very independant...and we are having potty training issues...enough said on that...but she is exceling in other areas she is 4yrs old and reading chapter books... My most recent WOW moment was being checked out at the YMCA...and come to find out it was an old friend of the family that I have not seen in Many years..so it was good... I hope everyone is staying dry...it is pouring buckets here....and Have a Wonderful Day.... PS: Styles...how are those Shrimp Recipes Coming...lol..... Jannine 357/164/157
~ Stylz ~
on 7/30/07 1:38 pm - North of Boston, MA
sorry to hear about your back Jannine, hope you're on the mend soon! I emailed you the recipes, hopefully you got it, my email at work is screwy sometimes... incase you didnt get it, here they are again (of if anyone else is interested) Sesame-Ginger Shrimp & Spicy Bean Salad (Rebeka's recipe ) Shrimp (if using fresh/raw): 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined 2 t. sesame oil 1 T. minced fresh ginger 1 t. minced garlic 1 T. white sesame seeds 2 t. olive oil for sautéing Dressing: 1/4 c. plus 2 T. lime juice 1/4 c plus 2 T. red wine vinegar 1 t. sesame oil 1 T. olive oil 1 t. fish sauce 1 T. sugar (I use Splenda) ½ t. hot chili paste or red pepper flakes 2 t. minced fresh ginger Salad: 3 cups cooked black beans, or two 15oz cans, rinsed and drained 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced 1 mango, peeled, pitted and chunked 3 scallions, thinly sliced ½ c. cilantro, chopped Combine (raw) shrimp, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, and sesame seeds. Set in fridge until ready to cook, up to 2 hrs ahead. Wisk together the lime juice, vinegar, sesame oil, Olive oil, fish sauce, sugar, chili paste and ginger. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. In a large bowl, place black beans, cucumber, mango, scallions and cilantro. Pour dressing over salad, toss to coat well and set aside. Saute shrimp, add to salad. 4 servings (probably 8 for post ops=) shrimp cucumber and mango salad (great flavors) 3 tablespoons distilled white vinegar 3 tablespoons sugar 6 tablespoons Dijon mustard 6 tablespoons mayonnaise 4 large pickling cucumbers, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 cups) 1 large mango, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups) 1 pound cooked medium shrimp 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill Hot pepper sauce 12 Bibb lettuce leaves Mix vinegar and sugar in small bowl until sugar dissolves. Whisk in mustard and mayonnaise. Cover and chill. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.) Combine cucumbers, mango, shrimp, and dill in large bowl. Pour dressing over; toss to coat. Season with salt and hot pepper sauce. Arrange 2 lettuce leaves on each of 6 plates. Top with shrimp salad. Shrimp with basil garlic butter 12 jumbo shrimp (3/4 lb), shelled and deveined 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil 2 teaspoons minced garlic 1/3 cup dry white wine 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces 1/2 cup shredded fresh basil Preheat oven to 350°F. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and sauté shrimp 1 minute per side. Transfer shrimp to a baking dish and bake in middle of oven until just cooked through, about 7 minutes. While shrimp bakes, add garlic to skillet and cook, stirring, over moderate heat 15 seconds, then stir in wine, juice, and tomatoes. Boil, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by two thirds. Swirl in butter and basil over low heat and season with salt and pepper. Serve shrimp with sauce. shrimp with avocado 2 lb medium shrimp (about 76), peeled and deveined 3/4 cup white-wine vinegar 1 cup vegetable oil 1/4 cup capers, not drained 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon black pepper 1 teaspoon celery seeds 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco 1 cup thinly sliced onion 1/2 cup chopped celery 7 bay leaves (not California) 2 firm-ripe California avocados Accompaniment: soft green-leaf lettuce such as Boston Cook shrimp in a 5-quart pot of boiling salted water* until just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes, then drain in a colander. Whisk together vinegar, oil, capers, salt, pepper, celery seeds, and Tabasco in a large bowl, then add warm shrimp, onion, celery, and bay leaves and toss to combine. Marinate, covered and chilled, 24 hours to 2 days. Just before serving, discard bay leaves. Quarter, pit, and peel avocados and cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Gently stir into shrimp salad, then spoon over lettuce. * When salting water for cooking, use 1 tablespoon salt for every 4 quarts water. Shrimp in red sauce 1 1/2 cups clam juice 1 onion slice 1 tablespoon tomato paste 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled 1 teaspoon olive oil 1/2 pound large uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined 2 large garlic cloves, minced 2 tablespoons dry white wine Boil first 4 ingredients until liquid is reduced to 3/4 cup, approximately 25 minutes. Strain. Set aside. Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and half of garlic and sauté until shrimp are almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Remove shrimp from skillet. Add remaining garlic and wine to skillet and boil until reduced to glaze, about 2 minutes. Stir in clam juice mixture and boil until reduced to thin sauce consistency, about 4 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet and return to boil. Season with pepper and serve immediately. Marinated grilled shrimp (I've even used this marinate on chicken, its so good ) 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/3 cup olive oil 1/4 cup tomato sauce 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper 2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined skewers In a large bowl, stir together the garlic, olive oil, tomato sauce, and red wine vinegar. Season with basil, salt, and cayenne pepper. Add shrimp to the bowl, and stir until evenly coated. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring once or twice. Preheat grill for medium heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers, piercing once near the tail and once near the head. Discard marinade. Lightly oil grill grate. Cook shrimp on preheated grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque. Tequila lime shrimp 2 tablespoons olive oil 1 white onion, diced 3 cloves garlic, minced 10 shrimp, peeled, deveined, halved lengthwise 1/4 cup tequila 3 Roma tomatoes, diced 2 limes, juiced 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, diced Salt and fresh ground black pepper In a medium saute pan with the olive oil, saute the onions and garlic. When the onions are translucent, add the shrimp and continue to saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the tequila and flame off the alcohol. Then add the tomatoes and saute for another 3 to 4 minutes. Then add the lime juice when the shrimp is cooked half way. When shrimp is fully cooked, fold in the cilantro and avocado. Season with salt and pepper and serve
Rick A.
on 7/30/07 6:27 am - Far Northern, CA
Hello all, Okay, I admit it, I am a lurker. I look here almost everyday, but I dont' post much. LIfe has been great. My joy this summer has been going to the water slides. It is so much fun to not get out of breath walking to the top of the hill. I don't have to worry about fitting on the slides. I continue to walk daily. I have logged my miles for almost a year and I am over 1350 miles for the year. I pretty much eat like a normal person - what ever that is. I don't have dumping issues - darn. Here's my numbers: Starting weight, 1st consult (January 16, 2006): 339 Surgery weight: (March 20, 2006): 300 Weight today: 175 Total lost: 164 Shirts from 5X to medium Pants from 46 to 34 No more blood pressure meds, no more CPAP machine I am so proud of all of us "Marcher's" you have all made my journey so much easier and I have enjoyed your knowledge and friendship. Life is great, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 7/30/07 9:53 pm - North of Boston, MA
Such a great idea to track your miles Ric****ep us posted
Pat T.
on 7/30/07 7:46 am - Rome, NY
I am sorry too that I have not posted in a long time. I do stop in and read once in a while, just seem to always be busy! But, I have committed to myself to start posting what I eat so I can track better. Haven't really lost, but I am comfortable where I am at, so I don't want to lose track. Beginning: 250 Now: 150 Lost: 100 lbs. Size 2x to size M and 8 pants. That is so exciting! Love all the clothes I can wear now! Everyone is doing so well now, it is great to see the progress you have made!
~ Stylz ~
on 7/30/07 9:54 pm - North of Boston, MA
Pat, nice to see you still around. Great transformation into a medium and an size 8 pants, congrats to you
luckycat1
on 7/30/07 7:59 am - Cincinnati, OH
I lurk everyday. Bored since I am still on medical leave--.still trying to bounce back from Guillian Barre. The only exercise I am getting right now is from physical therapy. Snacking way too much--I will blame it on the steroids. I can eat up to 25 grms off sugar before I dump and that is a bad thing. I love those little ind servings of ice cream the regular kind not sugar free (s/f icecream makes me sick). Even with the steroids I am still losing weight --could be because of another med that causes some to lose weight. Starting weight--362 Bmi-58.4 super morbidly obese Pants--30/32 Shirt size --4x Current weight--162 (12 pounds to my goal) total loss-200 lbs BMI-26.1 slightly overweight Pants-10/12 Shirts-M
~ Stylz ~
on 7/30/07 9:56 pm - North of Boston, MA
Good to see you're still around MJ! i was wondering how you were doing! Sending positive vibes your way hope you feel better soon girl!
BabyRuth2u
on 7/30/07 9:33 am - Pittsburgh, PA
See, we are all still here, but for some reason we're all just lurking. LOL Start weight: 345 lbs Current weight: 174 lbs BMI start: Around 61 BMI current: Last I checked was about 31, almost just overweight, maybe soon!! Starting sizes: 5x tops, 26 /28 pants some 30w. Current sizes: XL, some L tops, and 14 w dress slacks, elastic waist dress in 10. I can now ride a bike, play some tennis, climb a mountain, fall on my butt on rollerblades LOL, walk for miles and miles and not hurt, go up and down the stairs, no, make that run up and down the stairs and not give it a second thought, and I can breath. AMEN!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views