Learning to Adapt

sparkles
on 6/29/07 7:31 am - North Richland Hills, TX
Well, Its been a very long time since I've posted, infact I haven't even visited the website because it made me feel like such a failure. The fact is I have lost 160 lbs, but still have 60 - 80 to go. I'd be happy just to see 199.9. I have been holding between 250 and 240 since december. I can't seem to get under that. I haven't worked out consistently since November. A week here, a week there, nothing long term. Something always gets in the way. I've been drinking with my meals since .. heck, probably nearly the beginning. I can eat sugar, and it has been a real weakness for me. I LOVE chocolate, and want it every day. If its fried, its yummy. If I cook at home, my meals are pretty healthy, usually 300 - 400 calories for me. I eat lean crusines for lunch, and those have only 300 calories. I eat an egg and some bacon with cheese for breakfast, sometimes on toast. My main issue is snacking.. more like grazing. Pumpkin seeds (heavily salted), cookies, Chips, candy, anything I can get my hands on. The only thing I have stayed away from is soda, though I have been tempted. I don't drink alcohol but about 5 times a year. Then its only one drink, fruit juice mixed with something. All day long all I drink is unsweetened ice tea, with splenda, no caffiene. I drink ALOT of tea. I never remember to take my vitamins, but my blood work is good. I've thought about going back on full liquids for a week or 2, but don't know that I could do it. I've moved out of state, and the doctor I'm seeing (ob/gyn) doesn't know anything about rny. Any advice for me?
timsdanni
on 6/29/07 1:23 pm - Ft Stewart, GA
you could check out the platue buster people on the texas board are doing rightnow -it is hard but works well now that was my advise - such as it is LOL - but how the heck are you??? I have called a few times but have not managed to chatch up with you since like feb - can/will you snack on things like beef jerky? soy crisp things? cheese sticks - I know they are not as good as chips but they are at least healthyer. I also do better when I get the stupid 100 cal snack bags b/c then I SEE how much ican have per 100 cals this said I am still over 200 also - sat at 210-212 for 3 months and just this week started droping agian - doing the protien drink thing and lots of water and crytal light call me girlfriend - I am still in plano/back in plano and will be here for a good year or so. show up at some of the texas board stuff - people will be glad to help you when they know you have issues. hugs sweetie danni who is loopy on cold meds right now so hopign this makes good sence
sparkles
on 6/29/07 2:41 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
Hey! It's good to hear from you... I saw you had called a couple of times, but I was just not in a mood to talk.. hope you understand. I'm gonna try the higher liquids, lower solids. Might work.. I dunno. It would be nice to start dropping some of this excess weight. *sighs* Thanks for the note Amy
BabyRuth2u
on 6/29/07 9:19 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Hi *HUGS*, If I can be honest when I read your post it made me feel very sad for you. The things you are eating do not sound good at all. They are things that in time will eventually have you gaining weight instead of losing or even maintaining. None of us are perfect. We definately know what you are going through. We will have times when we will eat some of those things, but they shouldn't be a regular staple. As suggested try protein items if you must snack. If you are, don't buy chocolate in the house, don't buy the pumpkin seeds. Cravings are tough, but if you can just try to get past a day without them it does get easier. I have a friend who had the surgery, lost a good amount of weight, but never quite made it under the 200. She had now in a few years since her surgery put on about 30 lbs. She is fighting to gt it off and doing it last I talked to her. She has lost about 12 lbs of it. She says she is a food addict and is going through a program that is like AA. You need to read labels and just cut out anything that has flour and sugars in it that are considered trigger foods. It's hard but it seems to work. I have a cookie probably once a week. I only eat one, not more. I do the grazing thing too, or at least in my opinion it feels like grazing. I don't like it, but when I stop to think what I'm eating it's healthy / protein foods. I usually have cottage cheese for breakfast 1/2 to 3/4 c. or a 150 calorie pack of carb controlled type instant oatmeal. For snacking during the day I measure out about 1 oz of jerky, about 10 almonds, I'll have a yogurt in the afternoon, one of the low carb 60 cal ones. LUnch I have either a protein shake or I may have a small wendy's chili. Eat veggies, salads with protein if you can. It's all about the choices we make of what we put in our mouths. AGain, I'm not perfect, there are days I say I want this or that and I eat it. But I know that I can't / shouldn't eat it ever day. Recently I have been insane because the scale just would not move. I bounced the same 3 to 5 lbs for over a month, may have been two months. I decided last week to try upping my water and getting back to the gym. That is all I changed. I knew my food intake wasn't bad. I was making good choices, and keeping anywhere from 1200 to 1500 calories a day and nothing was happening. So I have been to the gym 3 times this week. Onlly 1/2 hr to 45 mins each time, did walking at lunch and have gotten in my 64 oz of water and I've lost those 5 lbs! It was like a lb a day was coming off. So Im very excited and more motivated now. Again the food choices you are making are not going to help you at all. Please, you have done so well and are so young and beautiful, take this chance to make a change. Make better choices. There are so many yummy healthy foods out there you can eat and enjoy. Your tastes buds will change and you will enjoy those other foods. And if you get the urge to snack you'll find you are snacking on much healthier things. And measure things. You can eat almonds, but not alot. I put about 10 in my baggy and that's it. I chew them slowly and make them last! LOL Increase the water and promise yourself you'll exercise at least 2x a week. It's not a big committment, it's only 2 days! I know you can do this! Please come back and stay with us. I am guilty of not being here much, I pop in for reading but don't always post, but you touched me today and I am worried about you. I dont want to see you afraid to ask for help and to feel like a failure or to end up one. You have this opportunity to succeed. Grab it and let us all help you and help eachother. That is why we came here to begin with, is for support and to get through this together. None of us can do this alone! *HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUG*
sparkles
on 6/29/07 11:30 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
Ruth Ann, I'm crying as I write this, I can't really say much right now, but .. Thanks.
jannineh99
on 6/30/07 12:15 am - Melrose, MA
Hey there...first off (((((HUGS))))))....I was reading your post and I can definately relate to it...in order to control the unhealthy choices that are out there here are a few things that I have done to counter the unhealthy choices...I make a big crock pot full of the following: 5lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast 2 lg cans of Cream of Mushroom Soup 16oz container Sour cream I put the chicken and Cream of Mushroom soup in the crock pot and cook it for 9-10 hours on low in the crock pot once it is cooked it should shread very easily with two forks...then add the container of sour cream and let it cook 1/2 hour longer...then I separate it into those small Rubbermaid containers they hold about 5oz of the mixture and then I store them in the freezer....and when I have the urge to eat unhealthy I grab one and it usually works...matter of fact just made some last night in the overnight and had some for breakfast....lol...but first I have at least 8oz of water or crystal light...(mostly crystal light..I cannot stand plain water) to make sure I am not thirsty...if you would like me to send you some more of my recipes I would be glad too.... As far as exercise...I too have not been consistantly to the gym...you just have to remember to get up and move...and keep moving... Chocolate...hmmm that is a tricky one for me too....I love chocolate and found I do not dump on it at all..my surgeon must have forgotten to flip that switch before he closed me up....lol...but what I did when I was craving it was bought some of the sugarfree chocolates I think they are from Russel Stover and limited myself to 2...then I found when I allowed myself the treat they were not as much of a craving anymore....and they held no interest...I think that we stress ourselves out thinking we are gonna fail....that we give food the power and let the craving run amok....at least that is what I seem to do....my surgeon told me once....this surgery was not intended to make us miserable but to help us not feel like food is controlling our lives...I know..you say....not control us...I have to think about everything I put in my mouth...take a step back and breathe...you are human and not perfect...don't worry..the more you worry the more you will think about it...I have been stuck at 165-170 for three months...but I also have made some bad decisions too...I don't know if this helped or hindered...or if I sound like I am rambling...sort of does to me..lol....but I too think these things.... IF you feel you want to chatt personal message me here.... Love your Sister in WLS Jannine 357/168/160
sparkles
on 6/30/07 12:27 am - North Richland Hills, TX
If you have other crock pot ideas, I love cooking in my crockpot, its sooo easy! the other mixture sounds pretty good, might have to try it. I promise you guys, I'm genuinely thinking before I eat things now, and.. I WENT ALL DAY W/O DRINKING W/ MEALS!! YAY!
BabyRuth2u
on 6/30/07 8:48 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
WooHoo, that sounds like a great start to me!! Keep it up. You CAN do this! You are in control, you make the choices. Keep it going! Keep posting! Just keep on keepin!!! ;) Have a great successful, fun Sunday!! The weather here is going to be beautiful, it already is this bright and early morning, go out and enjoy. HUGS
timsdanni
on 7/1/07 9:08 am - Ft Stewart, GA
YEAH!! progress is the goal not perfection and YOU ARE MAKING PROGRESS - here is another idea - bag up protien powder( snack sized ziplocks hold a scoop nicely) and carry it with you and everytime you want to snack have a protien shake first - just mix it with whatever bottle of water you have handy I do this on days I am home and the kitchen is calling my name - by the time I down a protien shake the other stuff looks less good - or I am full - or I can at least eat a smaller portion hugs sweetie danni
sparkles
on 7/1/07 7:50 pm - North Richland Hills, TX
I'll have to find one I like... .never could stomach those things! LOL
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!