Having the "Courage to Try"

BabyRuth2u
on 5/4/07 8:55 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Yesterday at work we had a guest. His name was Ed Hearn. Ed is the winner of the 2006 World Championship of Public Speaking at the Toastmaster International Speech Contest. It was very exciting to get the chance to hear him speak and he did not let us down. The topic yesterday of his speech was about having the "Courage to Try". He explained how there is no one who holds us back from doing whatever it is that we want to do, but ourselves. We all have dreams and things we want to accomplish. But we so often find that we don't accomplish these things out of fear. Fear of failure, fear of being laughed at, fear of rejection. There are those out there that will be successful and those who will never reach their potential. The difference is that some have the "Courage to Try". They get in there and give it their best. They don't let fear hold them back. How do you know if you don't try? Others, will not accomplish what they would like because they don't try, they give up too early. We all have struggles in our life, we struggle on this journey of weightloss. Some are more successful than others. Some never give up, some give up too soon. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't do this. If this is something that you want to do, then do it. Do it with your heart, with your own conviction. This is for you. No one can make you succeed or fail but yourself. Ed also talked about always having "excuses" in our lives. That many don't accomplish their dreams, goals because of "excuses". We can always find them. "Oh, I don't deserves this..." "They won't accept me because I'm __________" (Fill lin the blank with whatever fits). "I can't do that, I'm too old". The list could go on and on. There is always a way. I guess it goes back to the power of thinking. And like Ed mentioned in reference to the book "Secrets", it is like that. He does believe in the power of positive thinking. No, not always believing something is just going to make it so. But one does need to be positive, see what they want, work to achieve it. It just won't happen. I wanted to post about this today because I thought it was a good message. He is an amazing speaker. If you ever get a chance to hear him, do it! I'm sure there was so much more in his speech. He definately was entertaining, funny, intense all wrapped into one. His family stories are a hoot as they say. I want everyone to have the "Courage to Try" in whatever it is you do. We don't know the endless possibilties of what we can do, or what we can be unless we TRY. Since having WLS my life has changed tremendously. I had a good life before. A supportive, loving family. The most wonderful husband in the world. They all loved me just the way I was, they always supported me, and urged me to do whatever it was I wanted. I haven't wanted for much within reason. Life was good. But now, after WLS it is soooooooooooooooo much better. I knew it would be better. I knew my health would be better. I figured I'd be able to do more things in physical ways. I did not imagine to the extent that I have. Each and every day, even at 13 months out now, every day is amazing. I find joy in each one, I do something new, I take notice of a movement, an action, some feat that I've just done, that last year I could not do, or may not have ever done in my life. Sometimes I'll take notice that I'm breathing with no problem and think wow! I have a fantastic new job that I don't believe I would have gotten if I had not had the wls. I have always done well in my jobs, but never got ahead to where I'd like to be. Now, after wls, Im in an amazing position, I LOVE it every day and I only hope to grow. I'm doing things now in a career aspect I never thought I would. I make more money than I ever thought I would. I've joined Toastmasters through an invite from a manager at work and I like it. I've gotten up in front of the Toastmasters meeting group and have done a small meeting introduction. Also, my manager had to be out of town one day during a 401(k) meeting that was scheduled. She asked if I would do it. I was scared, but I had the "Courage to Try" and I did it. She got great feedback. This meeting was in front of about 80 people. I can't believe I did it. I've never spoke to a gropu that size. Things have been so different. My life is so busy. It is so much better than before. Can it get any better? I think it can. It was as if Ed was speaking to me yesterday. Or should I say, he has been speaking to me for a few months now. So much is so good because I have had the "Courage to Try". I hope for all of you to succeed, to live your dreams, to have the courage. Wishing everyone all the best!
Rick A.
on 5/5/07 12:27 am - Far Northern, CA
Ruth Ann, Thank you for posting this wonderful positive message. It is a great reminder that we can only succeed if we are willing to try. I am so glad that your life is so much better now. You have fought a good battle and you have come out on top. I also believe that it can only get better from here. I'm also glad that you mentioned that you notice the small and what others might see as insignificant changes in your life. I do that also each and every day. I think - boy I just marched up that set of stairs and didn't give it a thought at all and didn't become winded or look I just got up from the ground without having to roll over and get up on one knee then struggle my way up. You are in inspiration and role model for all of us and I thank you. Life is great, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 5/5/07 6:38 am - North of Boston, MA
Ruth, What a great topic, I'm sure you fit yourself in so many examples he mentioned with your year of wls journey and changes in your life. Thanks for posting this, what an inspirational read!
Stephanie Smiles
on 5/6/07 11:20 am - My Town, NH
Ruth Ann, thank you for sharing your experience with us! That courage is sometimes difficult to find as it can be buried pretty deeply. Thanks for the reminder that finding it is well worth it! Hugs, Stephanie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views