My one year update, the good the bad and the ugly (long)

Rick A.
on 3/20/07 2:03 am - Far Northern, CA
Hello Marchers, The good - When I started this journey I told myself that I would give it a year and see what happened. Well, life happened. I have met or exceeded most of the goals I set for myself. I have ridden on a roller coaster, flied on a plane comfortably and been able to enjoy physical activity with my wife, family and grandchildren. I feel healthier then I have during anytime in my life. I started tracking the amount of miles I walk. Since August, 2006 I have logged approximately 900 miles. I do not take any prescription medication. I take 2 multivitamins, 2 calcium, 2 vitamin C and one complex vitamin B daily. My blood pressure is consistently 106/66. I am able to buy clothing in any store I choose. I ask myself all the time why didn't I do this sooner? I guess the time just had to be right. The bad - there have been financial concerns. I have probably spent over $5,000 this last year in medical out of pocket expenses, travel expenses and clothing expenses. This has truly been an investment in myself. There have been a few times when the type or quantity of food I had did not agree with me. I have been in tears with pain. I can honestly say that I haven't ever been hungry. I have found it necessary to take time away from my family to get my walking in. This has been somewhat selfish, but necessary. Would I do it again? Every month, if it would mean I would achieve the same results. The ugly. I knew I would have hanging skin issues and I do. I figure that there are very few people that are going to see me naked anyway. I do not plan on researching plastic surgery. I can't justify the expense. I have people tell me that I don't look like the same person. I'm not sure how I feel about that. When I look in the mirror, I just see me, just like I always have. One thing that hasn't changed is that I still have many of the old insecurities that I always have had. I had thought that this would be the cure all for me. I thought that now I would be the life of the party and want to be more of a social creature. Much to my dismay this has not materialized. I guess it is just one more thing I need to work on. The future - my ongoing goal now must be to continue on the program and maintain the results I have already achieved. I also feel compelled to help others that have considered the same path. I enjoy going to support group meetings and answering other people's questions and concerns. This is a road that no one should have to take alone. I am grateful for the support of my wife, my family and those that have helped me through my online support group at obesityhelp.com I am also forever indebted to my surgeon and the weight loss surgery program and personnel at Shasta Regional Medical Center. The statistics - Starting weight at 1st consult (January 13, 2006): 339 Weight on day of surgery (March 20, 2006): 300 Goal weight reached on February 24, 2007: 186 Current weight: 185 Height: 5'8" Starting BMI: 51.5 Current BMI: 28.1 Clothing sizes: Shirt from a 5X and 6X to medium Pants from a tight size 46 to loose 34's Shoes from 9 very wide to 8 ½ regular Ring size from 12 to 9 ½ Measurements: Chest from 60" to 39.5 " Waist from 55" to 38" Hips from 51" to 39.5" Abdomen from 62" to 41" Upper arm from 17" to 13" Thigh from 33" to 20" Neck from 19" to 15" Total inches lost 89.5 I used to always sign off my saying life is good. Now I sign off by stating that life is great. I can't tell what it means to be among "the living" Thank you all for your continued support and encouragement. Life is indeed GREAT, Rick
~ Stylz ~
on 3/20/07 3:17 am - North of Boston, MA
Congratulations Rick and Happy Surgiversary! You always have such positive things to say and your year of experiences is amazing including walking over 900 miles!!
Darlene X
on 3/20/07 4:35 am - Maricopa, AZ
BIG CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My surgery twin, I guess I should post my 1 year huh? hehe. You have done so amazing!
RebekaA
on 3/20/07 11:02 am - Inland Empire, CA
Congratulations Rick! You have really committed to your new lifestyle and healthy changes and it shows! You look amazing, and I'm really proud of you! You have a great attitude--and in the future, if you want to be the "life of the party" I'm sure you will be Best wishes! Rebeka
Amy I.
on 3/20/07 11:29 am - KS
You have done a great job this year! Every time I read one of your posts I am inspired by your dedication! You have done it! You have reached your goal! Amy I
jennb40
on 3/20/07 9:11 pm - Nashua, NH
You are THE MAN....literally!!!! What a great job you have done. Thank you for always being so inspiring to this group of MARCHer mostly women!!!! You might have spent $5000 this year on medical expenses, travel, clothes, etc...but you probably ate close to that much extra in years past!!!! (well maybe not $5000!) Anyway, you have done a great job and congratulations on being at goal...I hope to be there soon! Hugs to you, Barbara
miminjoey
on 3/20/07 9:17 pm - Fort Bragg, NC
Congratulations and on a job well done and your honesty...I think for a lot of us we thought it would change things that this surgery just isn't capable of changing and that's because it changes looks not who we are. However knowing that makes it possible to work on changing those things. I have no doubt you have set yourself up for a life long sucess with this surgery way to go! Mimi
Stephanie Smiles
on 3/20/07 11:55 pm - My Town, NH
Rick, congratulations on "living"! You've done extremely well this past year and we Marchers are so proud of you! There is so much work involved in this journey. Most people simply don't realize the work it takes to change habits, deal with all of the changes to your body and also the mental stuff that must be worked through. Your work has definitely (and will continue to do so) paid off. Thank you for sharing your journey with us! - Stephanie
sngglnclos
on 3/21/07 1:28 am - sw burbs, MN
Life is indeed GREAT!! CONGRATS!! You have made amazing changes and are so upbeat and a great supporter!
robinsaxton
on 3/21/07 3:26 am - Columbia, MD
What a great post Rick! You are so great with words. One thing I must agree with you on for me too...old insecurities. I too thought that getting this weight off would help me to be more outgoing or more of a social gal, kind of the life of the party type. I also thought I wouldn't feel as nervous meeting new people or going into a room full of people that I don't know. Well, that hasn't changed. I still feel insecure when I am meeting new people or if I have to be in front of a crowe I am still very self conscious. Perhaps I will always be this way. I am more comfortable with myself and have been able to push myself to be more outgoing in some situations. Maybe that will grow over time. Congratulations Rick! You are an inspiration! Hugs, Robin
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone look in here anymore???
Laura A. · 1 replies · 651 views
Hey Rick, today's our day!!
Laura A. · 1 replies · 747 views
It's OUR month Marchers!!
Laura A. · 0 replies · 686 views
Wow, its almost 8 years!
LisaS · 0 replies · 830 views